Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

1950 M38 no reading on the dash amp meter
Transfer Case rebuild issues
Zerks causing trouble.
1952 M38 converting to 12V
M38A1 Slave Bucket location
M274 A3 Mule For Sale
flywheel advice
conversion from a 12 volt system back to a 24 volt system
M151 A2 + M416 Trailer For Sale
M38 ignition points condensor

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - fuel/vaccum pump
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

fuel/vaccum pump

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RichJohnson

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 2:09 pm    Post subject: fuel/vaccum pump Reply with quote

I dissconnected my vaccum line from my pump on my m38a1 to remove the fuel line to make a new fuel line with a filter so my carb stops clogging up.
Well, when I disconnected the vaccum line at the bottom, tons of oil poured out. I think the diaphram is likely shot.
Where can I get a rebuild kit for the military standard pump?

KI6EZA
1954 M38A1 (first civilain owner)
1965 M37B1 Commo shelter truck
MBT
GRC-122 TTY rig
Stir-stick

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 7:24 pm    Post subject: fuel pump Reply with quote

Mid west Military and Brent Mullins Should have them. Have you ever been into one?Sid Beck has the diaphrams . Good luck. Happy New Year!
Stick
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The filter should be installed between the pump and the tank. Have you cleaned up the in tank filter setup? Is the in tank filter missing?

Make sure the fording valves have been in the NON-fording position.

Is the vent fitting plugged at the center of the pump body?

Then and Now sells new rubber kits. and will overhaul the pump for you for about $85. http://www.then-now.com/

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
RichJohnson

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wes, you say the filter should go between the tank and the pump, but I was told by others that the mechanical pump cant suck through a filter like that?

If so whatis the best place to put one, Ie not near the exhaust manafold. Ide prefer not to cut up my original lines either. And yes, all my steel lines are original.

The brown TP roll looking strainer is in the tank. The tank is fairly new but vented.

I do know know about the vent on the pump.

Dang, I spent like an hour safely removing the pump to carb line on my M38a1 without bending it up too much.

I do not have any fording valves.

KI6EZA
MBT
GRC-122 TTY rig
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rich,
Think about it for a moment. That mechanical pump sucked gas through the in tank filter for 50 years just fine. I would suggest installing a new in tank filter and leave the plumbing stock.

You should have a solid steel line running from the pump to the carb. If you add an inline filter there you will have to cut that tube. Inline filters are actually more dangerous since they are on the pressure output side of the pump and more likely to spring a nasty spraying leak if a clamp comes loose or the hose slides off the cut end of the tube that has no safety bead in it for use with slide on hoses. Commercial applications with an inline filter with slide on hoses have small beads near the end of each tube so the hose will stay on the tube.

If you simply do not want an in tank filter then remove the filter from the tank and install a screened pickup in the tank then add your in line filter using the glass bowl type at the pump inlet then attach the frame to pump hose to the glass bowl filter.

Dirty fuel has a bad effect on the fuel pump and the carb so you should protect both.

On another note does your m37B1 como have a canvas or metal shelter?

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
RichJohnson

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bummer, that fuel line from teh pump to the carb was really tough toget off. Now I gotta put it back.

I have the origianl siphon filter in the tank. Is that normally good enough or is it not? Can you suggest a better in tank filter?

My M37 has a S-89 Aluminum shelter on it with complete green hardware inside.
Pics
www.RichardSJohnson.net

KI6EZA
MBT
GRC-122 TTY rig
RichJohnson

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just was going to make an attempt to reinstall the metal fuel line from pump to carb, its not really going to go back on wihout serious rebending to get it in, it came out easier than it will go back.
Also, I noticed the inside of the steel line is rusty crusty. I dont think Im going to put it back. My other lines are likely the same since they are as old and original. I think I may have to make a new line , just shorter so it has the flared ends and then be able to install the filter on it.
Opinion?
Maybe I can find a screw on type of inline filter.

KI6EZA
MBT
GRC-122 TTY rig
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rich,

The in tank filters were excellent at their jobs and there was never a need for a downstream filter. The M37's early on had a firewall mounted filter which was quickly dropped and went to the same in tank filter as the M38 and the M38A1. John at Midwest Military sells these brand new.

Electric fuel pumps, in line filters and aftermarket civvy carbs are typical band aids applied by folks who don't wish to or simply cannot fix the real source of the problem which is usually trashed tank interiors or carb / fuel pump rebuilding that is beyond their capabilities.

If you must use a civvy in line filter after the pump use a threaded end filter with metal can.

Here's a few ideas:
http://www.jegs.com/pt/Fuel+Filter?sendroicid=bbef8492-2d00-41d6-b158-38db0de2603c&sendroiad=2067267579&sendroikwd=racing+fuel+filter&gclid=CI2wqZTnjZ8CFQLxDAodSx-TMA

From Midwest Military: http://www.midwestmil.com/m38a1p12.html
Quote:
Fuel Pick-Up Plate This is MWM's reproduction fuel pick-up plate. It looks like NOS. Complete in photos with an NOS filter, or, also available with an after market filter. Picture shows the M38A1 unit; M38 looks just like it only shorter. Complete with NOS filter - $149.00. Complete with after market filter - $125.00.

Or element only: http://www.midwestmil.com/m38a1p10.html

Quote:
Fuel Filter Assembly
Correct for M38 and M38 A1.
You can purchase just the element or the whole assembly.
Previously not available, get your NOS unit before they're gone.
Element: $38.00 each
Assembly: $55.00

RichJohnson

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I took my driver seat out and pulled the siphon from the tank just to verify that I do have the intank filter. I do, it still looks new, so does the inside of the tank. Both are fairly recent within the last 8 years or so.
So I figure that the rust and crap is coming from my old lines, since I could see rust and crust inside the pump to carb line when I removed it.

I tried to bend a new line twice, to the carb but am unable to get it to work. So, just for now I cut it below the carb and flared the ends to install a inline filter.

When I am employed again, I supposed I will buy a set of new steel fuel lines and a pump rebuild kit. That should take care of the carb clogging up if the intank filter is supposed to be as good as you say it is.

KI6EZA
MBT
GRC-122 TTY rig
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: