Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

M38 Radio Power Cable/Connector
Wanted to buy - C-375/VRC
Battery cut off in motor compartment?
Cross Member Radiator Tabs
WTB M38 distributor breaker plate tabs
Hodakaguy M38 Misc Thread
1950 M38 no reading on the dash amp meter
Transfer Case rebuild issues
Zerks causing trouble.
1952 M38 converting to 12V

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - GPW/MB or M38?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

GPW/MB or M38?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PDXOR

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 3:53 pm    Post subject: GPW/MB or M38? Reply with quote

Hello everyone! I'm new to the WWII Willys scene, so please be paitent with me. Smile

I seem to be drawn to the flat fendered Willys models. There were a lot more GPW's produced than M38's, but the GPW prices are substantially more. Are there things/years that are way better from a service/reliability stand point that one should always be looking for in these older models? I guess I would even consider an M38A1 if they are that much better of a vehicle.
Like options/mods to always stay away from and things you shouldn't be living with out?

Maybe a top 10 best and worst things to be looking for I guess.

Thank you for any input.

-Jake (AKA - PDXOR)
Zane

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For comfort, reliability and performance the m38a1 is the way to go, the mb/gpw is the least comfortable of the 3. The m38a1 has the newer f head overhead valve engine that produces around 12 more horse power than the l head engines, 12 hp doesnt seem like a lot but thats 20% more power and is noticable. I like the looks of the mb/gpw (my opinion) and as far as collectablility it is the way to go, however along with a value increase comes the increase in precurring one and restoring it (if done right with original parts). Parts availability is a whole lot better for the m38's if looking for original nos parts but almost anything can be had in reproduction form for all.
As far as things to stay away from, the main thing to look for is a good body and frame. Body work is a whole lot more expensive than engine work if your having someone else do it. Really all boils down to your personal preferance and your wallet/skills. I hope this is helpful to you, thanks Zane
Dan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing I learned is, no matter what model you choose, look for one that this is as complete as possible. Purchasing missing items can really cost an arm and a leg. Restoring old parts already with the vehicle is, in my opinion, much less costly.

Dan
skyjeep50

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe part of the reason the prices for MB and GPW Willys is the nostalgia for the WWII era. There are a lot of WWII re-enactors and events, still quite a few veterans of that era and tremendous amount of literature, movies and stories regarding the war years. And as with any limited resource, increased demand tends to push up prices. So, the WWII Jeeps have a certain popularity. My M38 project is a great vehicle and I really enjoy my M38A1 driver but there is no great nostalgia about the M38, it wasn't in service very long. But it is an interesting Jeep. You will enjoy the vehicle that you ultimately buy. One thing I've learned is that they are all 50+ year old vehicles, they all have quirky design elements (from today's perspective) and individual problems. I would suggest getting a vehicle that is in relatively good mechanical condition even if you have to pay a little more and then learn as you go in maintaining the vehicle. If you are ready to plunge into a big project, there is really nothing that can't be fixed or sourced for spare parts. Even more plentiful are early CJ's - same heritage and somewhat better parts availablility. Pick something that you will be personally interested in, it's kind of like a marriage, everything will work out. Very Happy
53a1

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I guess I would even consider an M38A1

Rolling Eyes Arrow 'THE G'

If you are going to do a resto make sure you love the one you got.

Quote:
I really enjoy my M38A1 driver but there is no great nostalgia about the M38, it wasn't in service very long

'52-6?' Nam, Korea, ect, ect.

Come on guys give her some credit.
Boze

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the best thing to do is research thoroughly all three vehicles. Although there are common elements to all and some common parts between MB-M38 and M38-M38A1, they are more different that the casual observer would believe.

After your research (including corresponding or speaking to owners of all 3) then decide for yourself which you would prefer. Are you going to show it? Drive it a lot or less than 100 miles per year? In all weather or just sunny days? Thinking of joining a club? Maybe some historical displays or even some reenacting? All of these will influence your decision. Then look at ads for the vehicles to get a feel for what the market is for each. Want a restoration project, a turn-key finished product or somewhere in between? What are your mechanical skills and finances like?

In my view, the WWII vehicles had the most "history" and appear in all kinds of movies. The M38 was short lived, but was a big leap up from the MB technology-wise. It was also not used much in combat. The M38A1 had a production run and makes the best driver, but lacks the nostalgic "flat fender" look.

I have an M38 and love it.
PDXOR

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:29 pm    Post subject: All great advise... Reply with quote

Thanks to everyone for your valued input. I really appreciate the opinions.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: