Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

M38 Radio Power Cable/Connector
Wanted to buy - C-375/VRC
Battery cut off in motor compartment?
Cross Member Radiator Tabs
WTB M38 distributor breaker plate tabs
Hodakaguy M38 Misc Thread
1950 M38 no reading on the dash amp meter
Transfer Case rebuild issues
Zerks causing trouble.
1952 M38 converting to 12V

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - Our Canadian Neighbors
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Our Canadian Neighbors

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Announcements, News, Humor
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:35 pm    Post subject: Our Canadian Neighbors Reply with quote

Wilf sent this to me and I think this is a good place to post it.

Quote:
Subject: Letter in Toronto Sun-blew me away!

By Patrick Donahoe
Last Updated: March 2, 2010 10:01pm

You can consider this is my love letter to Canada.

The United States and Canada are inextricably linked — not only in the gold medal game in hockey, but on the battlefields of Afghanistan and on the training fields of both our countries. We are both great democracies that inspire people from around the world and we are both magnets for immigrants. And we are both willing to fight when fighting needs to be done.

I first visited Canada with my family in the late 1970s. We crossed into Canada from upstate New York, hit Montreal, then drove along the river and crossed back into New York.
I grew up, went to university and then into the Army.

After Desert Storm was fought while I was in Korea, I went to Fort Knox, Kentucky, and was tagged to host a group of Royal Canadian Air Cadets out of Mississauga. A great group of folks with whom I visited on and off over a couple of years in the early ’90s — including one night wandering around a snowy Canadian training area, wondering how embarrassing it would be for an American Army Officer to freeze to death in Canada while hanging out with a bunch of Canadian high school kids.

After marriage, my wife and I vacationed with our baby daughter and my parents in Nova Scotia, where we saw one of the great intersections of American and Canadian history. We visited a site where Canadians had repulsed American privateers and I saw tributes to Loyalist Colonists who left Massachusetts and settled in Nova Scotia.

That was interesting, though not interesting enough for my wife to forgive me for trapping her in a minivan with her in-laws. But it was not as inspiring as the people of Nova Scotia caring for the thousands of people stranded at the Halifax airport on Sept. 11, 2001.

After tours in Bosnia, Kuwait and in Iraq, I found myself at Fort Irwin, California, with a group of Canadian Army officers and non-commissioned officers who were helping us train American soldiers en route to Afghanistan — and renewing my admiration for our northern neighbour.
These were proud representatives of Canada’s bravest — men and women who had fought the hardest of fights in Afghanistan and who had spilled blood, their own and that of the enemy. They brought their lessons and they freely gave of their experiences which in turn broadened the training for these Americans who are engaged in the same cause.

I don’t speak for all Americans, but I’m sure I speak for most — we are humbled by the burden Canada has born in this war in Afghanistan, and we are honoured by her sacrifice. We serve shoulder to shoulder in this war against extremism. We honour the Canadians killed on Sept. 11, 2001, and the 140 Canadians who have given their lives in Afghanistan. We, as Americans, are lucky to have such a neighbour.

So, congratulations on your record-breaking gold medals in Vancouver — and even on the hockey gold. Well done.

Patrick Donahoe
Colonel
United States Army

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
whydahdvr

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wes,
Thanks for posting that from Wilf.
I have not had the pleasure of serving directly with Canadian soldiers but I have spent some time with them. Aside from my Army duties I am also active in a French & Indian War living history group in Massachusetts.
Massachusetts is inextricably linked with Canada, as is American history. The regiment I represent was involved in many of the key battles of the French & Indian War, including the capture of Fortress Louisbourg in 1758. In 2008 we went to Fortress Louisbourg as part of a group of reenactors invited by Parks Canada to recreate the siege and battles. The Canadians we met there, the Canadian soldiers, and the British (Louisbourg Artillery) unit that was there were amazing.
I just thought I would throw my two cents in. Thanks for sharing!
Josh Bagley
CPT
101st EN BN
Camp Liberty, Iraq
jeepers52

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for sharing this. We are truly blessed to have Canada as our neighbor to the north. They are truly a great nation, as we are.

1952 M38 Jeep
1952 M38 Jeep (project)
1945 T-3 Bantam trailer
Heywood

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow you guys are making me feel all gooshy Embarassed
Seriously though, it's the good feelings like those expressed here that keep the US as my favorite place to visit. I know we happily throw barbs at each other, especially over political issues but frankly it's all pillow fighting when it comes to real support and friendship.
Bill
captw

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:09 pm    Post subject: Toronto Sun letter from Col. Donahoe Reply with quote

gee Wes...thanks for posting the letter here, and thanks for your email to me...reading the letter made me feel proud and happy to know the American friends, and brothers I have, and will always have...Wilf
R.R.#1 Bailieboro, Ontario
Canada

1952 M38CDN F-100822 CAR 52-31153
1953 M100CDN 1104 CAR 53-71157
1953 M37CDN
M274A4
(2) 1945 Dodge D3/4 WP/APT
M38CDNBill

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Wes for this letter.

History of Canadians and Americans is nested in one another and I have relatives who fought in the US army during the WWII. There was Sinai J. Bordeleau who fought in the 101st ABN, 501st PIR. He began the war as First Sergeant, made the jump in Normandy near Vierville (3 miles south of Ste-Marie-du-Mont), the Battle of Falaise, Market-Garden, the Battle of the Bulge and ended the war in Germany with the rank of Captain.

The next picture show me in june 2009 at the Colleville-sur-Mer cemetery in Normandy near the tombstone of Sinaï's best friend, Emile W. Tanguay died the 7th of june 1944 during the Dead Man Corner struggles.

Also there was Paul E. Bordeleau who fought in the U.S. Army and was assigned as a french translator with General Bradley and General Patton. Returning home at the end of war, Paul attended the New England Conservatory of Music where he earned his bachelor’s degree in music composition. He also earned master’s degree in music education from Boston University. He has played for Presidents Ronald Reagan, Gerald Ford and George W. Bush, and even once as president of the Rotary Club, introduced then-Gov. Ronald Reagan, when the former movie star was campaigning for president in New Hampshire. You can learn more about Paul by clicking this web link: http://www.yourneighborhoodnews.com/bedford-bulletin/2005/02/news/03-the-palace.html

Finaly remember the 1st Special Service Force activated on July 9, 1942 as a joint Canadian-U.S. force of three small regiments and a service battalion. These extraordinary tough men fought together at these places:

- Kiska & Little Kiska - August 15-August 19, 1943
- Segula Island - August 17, 1943
- Monte la Difensa, Rocca d'Evandro - December 3-December 6, 1943
- Monte la Remetanea, Rocca d'Evandro - December 6-December 9, 1943
- Monte Sambúcaro, S.Pietro-S.Vittore - December 25 (Christmas Day), 1943
- Radicosa, S.Vittore - January 4, 1944
- Monte Majo - January 6, 1944
- Monte Vischiataro - January 8, 1944
- Anzio - February 2-May 10, 1944
- Monte Arrestino - May 25, 1944
- Rocca Massima - May 27, 1944
- Colle Ferro - June 2, 1944
- Rome - June 4, 1944
- Southern France, (Alpes-Maritimes) campaign, 1944
- Iles d'Hyères - August 14-August 17, 1944
- Grasse - August 24, 1944
- Villeneuve-Loubet - August 26, 1944
- Vence - September 1, 1944
- Drap - September 3, 1944
- L'Escarène - September 5, 1944
- La Turbie - September 6, 1944
- Menton - September 7, 1944
- Rhineland campaign, 1944
- Franco-Italian border - September 7 - November 30, 1944

Cheers from Canada
tkjeeper

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the kind words Wes. If feel just as blessed to have the mighty USA as our neighbour. Canada has it's beauty and history but nowhere near as colourful as Americas.
Thats a great point M38CDNBILL, I recently read the book on the First Special Service Force and it's an amazing story. First time in history Canadians and Americans fought side by side in the same uniforms. They have a short but proud history, overshadowed mostly by the Normandy invasion, but well worth the read.
God Bless America.
M38CDNBill

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For your information, click on the following link.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rene_Gagnon

Cheers
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Announcements, News, Humor All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: