Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

Compression testing results.
Rear brake cyclinder compatability
T90 inspection before action?
M38 Radio Power Cable/Connector
Wanted to buy - C-375/VRC
Battery cut off in motor compartment?
Cross Member Radiator Tabs
WTB M38 distributor breaker plate tabs
Hodakaguy M38 Misc Thread
1950 M38 no reading on the dash amp meter

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - Master Cylinder Heat Shield
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Master Cylinder Heat Shield

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ocwd

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 5:33 pm    Post subject: Master Cylinder Heat Shield Reply with quote

Can some one please post a picture of how the master cylinder heat shield mounts?
idiocrates

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have a pic but its pretty straight forward. It hangs on the front bolt of the brake master cylinder......and one of the bolts that attach the steering gear box to the frame. If I get a chance I'll try to get a pic of mine this evening.

'?? - M38A-1
idiocrates

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

maybe in the interim this will help.......

'?? - M38A-1
ocwd

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:39 pm    Post subject: Heat Shield Reply with quote

Thanks Jim. That is perfect. Like a big dummy, I bought a repro CJ heat shield thinking it would be close enough and do the job. Unfortunately it does not fit. I got it off the CJ2a Page. Very nice repro all painted OD now. Oh well. I'll buy one from Midwest Military.
idiocrates

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's where I got mine.....excellent fit......although I did have to "rotate" my master cylinder "Y" fitting just a bit toward the frame to allow the bend in the front rigid brake line to clear the shield. Other than that it lined right up with the master cylinder and the steering gear box perfectly. Just be sure to specify your willys model.....m38 or m38a1.....and like an equal dummy....I assume its one of those you're working on.

'?? - M38A-1
ocwd

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:06 pm    Post subject: Heat Shield Reply with quote

I am working on an M38. The heat shield seams to hit the frame when I try to install it. I'll check it again. Are you working on an M38 or M38A1? Can you post a couple of shots of you heat shield mounted in your Jeep please?
ocwd

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:25 pm    Post subject: Master Cylinder Heat Shield Reply with quote

OK, I see. The steering box goes between the heat shield bracket and the frame. Here are a couple of pictures. I still have to work on my steering box before I can bolt that on.

Moderator: These two photos are incorrect. The heat shield bracket goes towards the engine on the master cylinder and goes on last.
idiocrates

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wasn't able to get out to the garage last night but it looks to me like you figured it out alright. Only thing I did differently was to place the bowtie bracket directly against the master cylinder with the heat shield mounting leg on the engine side of the bowtie. I used a flat washer next to protect the heat shield leg from the lock washer. This order might give you a little bit more room between the frame and the front heat shield mounting leg.

'?? - M38A-1
TomM

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:50 am    Post subject: oil pressure sender Reply with quote

Looks good.
Be sure you check the threads for your oil pressure sender. It looks like a bolt is threaded in there and the threads should be NPT. I only mention it because once that area is buttoned up it gets harder to change the sender or work on the threads if needed.

Tom
ocwd

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:08 pm    Post subject: Master Cylinder Heat Shield Reply with quote

Oh, I see. I fixed the bracket position. That bolt is in there very loosely. I put it in there while painting. I checked the threads and they look good. I am guessing that this heat shield is to protect against the heat from the center exhaust pipe. It must generate enough heat to affect the master cylinder fittings. Can the Jeep be run with out this heat shield? Thanks for the help guys.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: