Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

WTB M38 distributor breaker plate tabs
Hodakaguy M38 Misc Thread
1950 M38 no reading on the dash amp meter
Transfer Case rebuild issues
Zerks causing trouble.
1952 M38 converting to 12V
M38A1 Slave Bucket location
M274 A3 Mule For Sale
flywheel advice
conversion from a 12 volt system back to a 24 volt system

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - Pulleys mis-aligned
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pulleys mis-aligned

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
idiocrates

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:14 am    Post subject: Pulleys mis-aligned Reply with quote

I've gotten the new water pump installed on my freshly overhauled F head engine and have been working on getting my 12v alternator adapter built. Now that I have them all together I see where I have some pretty big mis-alignment issues. Just fyi, I'm using all double groove pulleys....so it looks doubly bad. Initial checks indicate that the water pump pulley is too far forward....and in reading some of the archival posts it sound like this is not too unusual. Some of the archived replies suggested pressing the water pump onto the water pump shaft farther. Is this only possible by removing the water pump from the engine and going to the machine shop....or can it be done with a really big hammer while the pump is still on the block (since as I read the instructions the pulley is the last thing pressed on)? Thanks.

'?? - M38A-1
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both 1803A (WWII) and 1804A (M38) press the shaft into the pulley first. Then press the shaft/pulley assy into the body (This is the ideal point to check pulley alignment), then press this pulley/shaft/housing assy into the assembled impeller/seal assy and finally install clip.

There's quite a bit of clearance between the impeller and the front cylinder so you have no way to brace the impeller and trying to hammer against the small wire clip will destroy the clip and jam some of the clip material between the shaft and housing.

The only sensible method is to remove the pump after you determine accurately how far the pulley must be moved and then remove the clip and brace the back end of the impeller on the press and push the pulley to it's correct location.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
53a1

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is you drive pulley the type that has a wide front v-groove and narrow rear v-groove? This will cause alignment issues as well. Just checking because I made this mistake in the past.
idiocrates

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes.....my crank shaft, water pump, and alternator all have the same width pulleys....or maybe I should say.....the same width grooves. I had noted this exception earlier when I was shopping for a new double groove pulley for my alternator and a new water pump and made sure I got everything the same.

Regarding the assembly procedure.....I had originally only looked in the TM9-8015 (correct to 1 Feb 1954) and it definitely lists pressing on the pully as the final step in rebuilding the water pump....although it says nothing about pressing against the impellor and not the water pump housing). After I read Mr. Knettle's reply I looked in the TM9-8014 (correct to 25 Jan 1955) and as he indicated it presses the pulley on to the shaft first and then presses the shaft into the housing. I guess if I had looked at the completed assembly my question would have been mute. Oh well....not like this is the first item I've had to install multiple times...and it probably won't be the last.

'?? - M38A-1
G740

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 5:37 pm    Post subject: Pulley Reply with quote

Is your water pump pulley a cast type? If so, they are junk. They are not made correctly and you will never get it to align. I have pumps with original pulleys reconditioned to make sure the proper press fit is achieved.
John
idiocrates

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The water pump pulley appears to be of the machined variety. It came already installed on the pump I bought from Kaiser Willys in NC. I plan on removing the pump from the engine after I take a few measurements and then go to the machine shop to see if they can press the pulley on a little bit more. If they refuse to do it....or we mess sumptin up trying....I'll probably be giving you a call. Are you allowed to tell me on here how much a new pump would be with a double groove pulley? Thanks.

'?? - M38A-1
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Are you allowed to tell me on here how much a new pump would be with a double groove pulley?

Sure he can. It's up to John. Or you can look it up on his web site. Of course John doesn't alphabetize! Wink

http://www.midwestmil.com/

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
G740

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:11 am    Post subject: pulley Reply with quote

KW sells parts to the unknowing mv collectors that don't know any better and they get chosen because of their price. Problem is that 9 out 10 times you don't get what you were supposed to and it costs you twice.
The pumps that they are selling have the cast pulley and will not work. They are not cast or machined properly and a pressing will not correct it.
My pumps with original pulley are $115 exchange.
John
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: