Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

Cross Member Radiator Tabs
Cross Member Radiator Tabs
WTB M38 distributor breaker plate tabs
Hodakaguy M38 Misc Thread
1950 M38 no reading on the dash amp meter
Transfer Case rebuild issues
Zerks causing trouble.
1952 M38 converting to 12V
M38A1 Slave Bucket location
M274 A3 Mule For Sale

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - M606A3 - Radio Jeep for export
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

M606A3 - Radio Jeep for export
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Claudio

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 6:48 am    Post subject: M606A3 - Radio Jeep for export Reply with quote

Hey Mjeep experts!!! Please take a look at this post:
I recently purchased a 1969 Kaiser M606A3 radio jeep, namely an Mseries vehicle made for export purposes. The general shape of the vehicle is very good, giving me hopes to make a nice restoration. I regret that very few, almost non information about features of this model exist, so here is my holler of HELP guys.
A few months ago, WK, responding a post about radio jeeps, has published a specification sheet of this M606A3 jeep, along with a schematic diagram of the wiring harness, indicating that the jeep had 2 different voltage supply systems: one to furnish 12V for the regular electrics of the vehicle and the other one to feed 24V to the radio set.
Unfortunately all these 24V features have been removed from the jeep, so I need more info/photos of the engine compartiment. Also pics of the original dash plates are welcome(I have the one from Kaiser nomenclature plate, missing two other ones to fit the existing 2 sets of holes). Any other hint would be gratefully appreciated.
I have learned quite a lot about Mjeeps restoration, but this M606A3 jeep is a challenging target for me. I'm counting with your help guys.
Thanks in advance! Best!
Claudio - Florianopolis, Brazil
1942 Willys MB
1942 Dodge WC57
1951 D&K M100
1952 Willys M38
1953 Willys 1/2 ton truck
1962 M170
1967 Kaiser M170
1969 Kaiser M606A3
1968 Very understanding and jeep-fan wife
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Claudio,
Glad you have now been able to access the forum. The add-on 24V alternator was a Motorola. The system used the original M38A1 style battery box setup and I believe the same radio power receptacle by the passenger side wall. I believe you already have a copy of this:

And this:

I do not know of anyone currently in possession of one of these jeeps that is complete.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
Claudio

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Wes, thanks for your prompt reply. In fact I have already the schematics ad (plan view) of the 24V system. It was posted by you some months ago. The M606A3 Manual: I'm still looking ways to buy this Manual. In fact I order it from a part seller (Willys Jeep Parts), but he sent me a wrong manual and later refused to change it. It was very desgusting though.
In the meantime I expect I can find extra info about this kind of jeep.
Thanks for your help.
Best
Claudio
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Claudio,

That manual has only 9 pages and I have all 9 pages loaded on my photo site: http://m606series.mypicgallery.com/ Just go there and download the large file of each photo.

This manual is only the military supplement to the basic SM-1046 CJ3b/CJ5/CJ6 Kaiser service manual.

This is the SM-1046 manual you want. The two manuals when used together with a Kaiser CJ5 parts manual are all you need for the M606A2 and A3.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
Claudio

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boy, these manuals and photos are a pile of entertainment for this gray and cold Sunday. These are exactly the ones I need.
Photos...mmmm...require an extra attention to details...
Thanks again!
Claudio
BTW - is that you on the pic with the M606A1?...can I suggest that you are a living legend?
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep that's me at age 21 in Thailand in 68.

A legend I hope not. There's an old fart on the G503 site who will disagree with you ardently! Wink

Claudio

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi WK, Laughing Laughing Laughing

The subject is once again the mistery about main features of the M606A3 Radio Jeep.

By taking a look at pictures and texts of the Service Manual SM-1041-R2 you've sent me weeks ago (see former post from you above), a few doubts have arisen, which I list you for your appreciation as follows:

(1) Tail lights - passenger and driver's side: Figures of page 7 of the Manual show passenger side tail light placed on a bracket outside the rear wheel well, same as the stop light mounted on a L-shaped bracket. Unlike this passenger side tail light, the driver's side tail light is located inside the wheel well compartiment, the same way as on most M-series jeeps. Interesting is the fact that the tail lights on passenger's side is slightly displaced outwards from the alignment of the driver's side tail light, i.e., if referenced from the alignment on the rear vertical body seam. This may be confirmed when zooming images of tail lights of Pages 4 and 5 of the Manual. How about that?

(2) Ingition and starter switch - The explanation about the use of the ignition and starter switch indicates that everything (accessories, ignition and starter) is activated by one single switch, either turning it clock- or counterclockwise, unlike other jeeps that have the foot starter button to activate the starter. Have you seen this kind of ignition switch available for sale around in the market?

(3) Radio set - The specification sheet of the M606A3 indicates that the correct radio set is the VRC46. Is this the same as the RT524? There are no info on the antenna type. From the picture I would suspect it might be an RX6707. How about that?

(4) Army Jeep Color pattern - Which might be the correct color pattern for a jeep with this year of mfg.(1969) ? did US Army Jeeps leave factory using same color patterns as the ones for export like this M606A3?

Hope you can give me some other hints!!!

Best!!!

Claudio - Again, congratulations and happy birthday for one more year of your "busy" life!!!
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Claudio,

Quote:
(1) Tail lights - passenger and driver's side: Figures of page 7 of the Manual show passenger side tail light placed on a bracket outside the rear wheel well, same as the stop light mounted on a L-shaped bracket. Unlike this passenger side tail light, the driver's side tail light is located inside the wheel well compartment, the same way as on most M-series jeeps. Interesting is the fact that the tail lights on passenger's side is slightly displaced outwards from the alignment of the driver's side tail light, i.e., if referenced from the alignment on the rear vertical body seam. This may be confirmed when zooming images of tail lights of Pages 4 and 5 of the Manual. How about that?

That was done for better visibility of the light with the CJ5 tailgate mounted spare tire. Note that the right main tail light assembly is a duplicate of the left with the large red service stop lamp lens. The small light above is the Black Out stop lamp which was displaced by the right service stop lamp.

Quote:

(2) Ingition and starter switch - The explanation about the use of the ignition and starter switch indicates that everything (accessories, ignition and starter) is activated by one single switch, either turning it clock- or counterclockwise, unlike other jeeps that have the foot starter button to activate the starter. Have you seen this kind of ignition switch available for sale around in the market?

The CJ5 / M606A2/A3 came with the stock 12 volt starter which uses a solenoid and is operated by the dash switch. That military style switch is still available surplus. To better protect the investment in my jeep I would use a standard key type switch.

(3) Radio set - The specification sheet of the M606A3 indicates that the correct radio set is the VRC46. Is this the same as the RT524? There are no info on the antenna type. From the picture I would suspect it might be an RX6707. How about that?

The RT-524 is a receiver/transmitter which is part of the complete VRC46 set. The series VRC-12 includes the VRC-43 thru VRC-49
try this link: http://www.kpjung.de/e_vrc46.htm

To help you better understand the US Army radio numbering system try this web site:
http://www.nj7p.org/millist/m10.html

Here's a manual set on CD for auction:
http://us.ebid.net/perl/auction.cgi?auction=20836439&mo=auction

Quote:
(4) Army Jeep Color pattern - Which might be the correct color pattern for a jeep with this year of mfg.(1969) ? did US Army Jeeps leave factory using same color patterns as the ones for export like this M606A3?

From the end of WWII until about 1955/56 Willys jeeps to the military were painted OD 2430. After 1955 Willys painted them OD 2430 or 24087 for the Army, Forest Green for the USMC, Grey for the Navy and Strata Blue for the Air Force. The photos I have seen of US Army M606 series jeeps are 24087. Those that were exported by Willys would have the color specified in their contract with the country receiving the M606.

Claudio

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes Sir!
My decisions:
1 - Tail lights: will follow original stock configuration. Maybe it will look strange having assymetrical tail lights...will send you pics as soon as the job is done.
2 - Panel ignition switch - will keep the current system, i.e., key operated switch incorporated to the solenoid that actuates the starter.
3 - Radio set - My radio set is correct, except that the antenna is a RX6707.
4 - Color pattern - Luckly the paint I had alredy bought was OD 24087, maybe a little bit glossy, but still OK.
I hope I learn how to post pictures on the website until I have all the body restoration done. If I haven't told you, I am not very keen with computers.
Thanks again!
Best Wink
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Claudio,

Here's your link to your photo album. Load your photos there and reference them here.

http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=album39&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php

Claudio

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fine Wesk, again my best thanks for your valuable hints!

Two issues are remaining to be discussed here(my age of 51 "allows" me to ask so many questions, no?...).
So please give me your opinion:

(1) - Air inlet port - This M606A3 jeep has a 45° angled port between the front radiator grille and the radiator itself, i.e., creating a deviation for the air (a by-pass). This small rectangular port is about 3"x 6" in. So questions: is this simply to cool the 24V alternator (?) or to allow passage for cabling feeding a rectifier (?). I haven't seen this port in any M-series vehicles.

(2) - Headlight guard - The photos you've sent to me are showing a headlight guard (like the one in M38's). The brochure from the same M606A3 does not show this guard. Is this a field modification?

Best!

Claudio
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the headlight guards were added in the field in some instances.

Can we see a photo of the opening in the radiator guard assembly (grill)?

Claudio

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wes, see the 2 photos I have uploaded in the photo gallery you've given me permission to create.
How do I referece them here?

Well, please take a look at the air-inlet port I've mentioned. Important is to inform you that the whole metal work done on this part, like welds, stamping, and general finishing of this little port is factory made, so not done or roughly adapted by others, but the manufacturer. I'm positive on this!

If not clearly seen here, there are two holes on the base of the radiator housing (between front grille and the radiator) indicating it has been bolted to some special item... Question

Isn't this worse than a math quiz?

Regards

Claudio [/img]
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Claudio,

I received your email and photos. That is the fresh air inlet for the cabin heater.

Claudio

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All clear Wes, thanks again.

Claudio
BTW - I will appreciate if you could furnish me a pic or even specification of the related heater of this Jeep. I have one heater left at home to be installed on a vehicle, but unfortunately it is the gas fired Southwind 978 model, which electrics is for a 24V system. I am supposing this is NOT the case, correct? Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: