Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

Compression testing results.
Rear brake cyclinder compatability
T90 inspection before action?
M38 Radio Power Cable/Connector
Wanted to buy - C-375/VRC
Battery cut off in motor compartment?
Cross Member Radiator Tabs
WTB M38 distributor breaker plate tabs
Hodakaguy M38 Misc Thread
1950 M38 no reading on the dash amp meter

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - Navy Jeep Markings
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Navy Jeep Markings

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jimbo

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:10 pm    Post subject: Navy Jeep Markings Reply with quote

I'm a new guy looking for info on Navy Jeep markings. I'm restoring an M38A1 Navy Jeep, Serial # MD64637, which was delivered on 11/53. U S NAVY is shown on left bumperett and registration # on right bumperette, all in 1 1/2" lettering. There were no markings on hood or front bumper. Would appreciate any help on markings for the hood and front bumper.
m38olddog

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jimbo. I've been hoping to do a Navy M-38 for some time now, so I've collected pictures and random bits of marking info. Until our forum's actual experts drop by and chime in, here's what I believe to be true. Your M38A1 should have a registration number that begins "94-" followed by a 5-digit (?) number. The hood would be marked on each side "US NAVY" (not USN) with the number on the line below it in the same size lettering. Occasionally seen is a third line in half-size lettering "for official use only". From the pictures I've collected (many are restorations, so not actual evidence) markings on the bumperettes is not seen very often, but many of my pics are jeeps with tailgates not covered with spare/jerry can, and the tailgate often has the US NAVY and registration number. I'm guessing with the M38A1s, the bumperettes would be the logical spot (as in the Army markings). Well, so much for my long-winded two cents. I'm sure the real experts will be along shortly. Very Happy

Dave
M38A1 2/55, MD81433, U.S. ARMY 2A3514
M100 Dunbar Kapple, ?/51, #15122
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your best expert would be a Navy motor pool Chief. Next best would be the Navy vehicle marking regulation for the period your jeep represents.

http://www.portrayal.com/manuals.html

Their web site does not have all their listings so call or email for information on currently available USN regs conxerning vehicle markings.

This book may also be helpfull:
Quote:
U.S. Navy, vehicle identification manuals

U.S. Navy Vehicles - 1950's. Trucks, trailers, cycles of Navy, WW2 vehicles and postwar. Includes, for example, Ford GTB, Dodge M37, many more. 40 pages. #BYD-23 ... $17

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
madmike

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just one more confirmation to the US Navy designation. My 1961 has/had the designations as described by M38olddog. My numbers begin with 94 and appear on the hood and bumpers as described, US NAVY on the left and the number on the right. The color of mine might be different. It was a USMC order and came with undercoating and was USMC green.

I too believe this jeep never had the spare and gas can, although the mounts are there. I also do not believe it ever had the shoval and axe. There were no abrasions under the hood where the shoval would be taken in and out. When I bought it these items were not with it. No spare, etc. Of course they could have been lost along the way but it gives a little support to the possibility these items were not used in their job performance.

The only other source/picture I found is in a book called Marine Air depicting an A1 with the 94 hood number on an air base in Asia circa 1964. And the mystery continues.......
Jimbo

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to all who replied. I appreciate your time and trouble.

Jimbo
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most stateside bases I have been assigned to or visited usually kept the tool kit, spare tire, pioneer tools and etc in a warehouse at the motor pool. They were only issued on a hand receipt to the responsible driver when the vehicle was signed out for travel off the base.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
FrankUSMC

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jimbo
I have a Navy M38A1. I bought it to use around the farm here, but now I am going to fix it back as a M38A1C.
The jeep was Army delivered, and looks to have been picked up by the Navy from DRMO.
I will try to get you some photos this week. The down side is, the guy I bought it from sent me photos of the jeep with the Navy markings on it as found. When I went to pick it up, the guy (Army) had for some unknown reason, spray painted over all the navy markings! I am sure with some fine sand paper I will be able to see them.
I am having a new water system put on our little farm this week, if I get wrapped around the axle on it, could you PM me a reminder to get you the information.
Thanks.
One of the few, Frank USMC RET
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: