Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

Wiper motor...which is the correct one?
Lead additive, one more question.
M31C mount with or without replica weapon
Backfire and Hesitation
Wanted: Steering column and shaft for M38-1952, or late CJ2A
2024 CT. MILITARY VEHICLE SHOW AND FLEA MARKET- JUNE 15,2024
Brake Line
How to link full size photos in posts
Clutch release bearing support cast tab for return spring
T90 case replacement required?

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - M100 trailer connections
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

M100 trailer connections

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> M100 & other 1/4 T trailers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
missuson

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 1:01 pm    Post subject: M100 trailer connections Reply with quote

seen M100 trailers with elec cable attached to trailer wiring & no hole in plate mounted at RH front corner of frame. Other M100 trailers have hole in R Fr corner using a jumper with plugs on both ends between trailer & jeep. was it a production change or mfg change.? also did all M100 trailers have clips to hold wiring in place along drawbar & at each light?
thanks
OKCM38CDN

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Th trailers with a connector at the trailer and the jeep are early models... This is the way they were first wired.

After a while (I do not know when) they switched to the cable being part of the trailer... too many lost cables maybe...

There are cable clamps along the side of the frame to hold the cables to the trailer. Later models had the cable run thru the drawbar to the trailer hitch... Drawbar is mase up of 2 "U" channel pieces welded together to make a tube...

Hope this helps...
missuson

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Hal.
I found m100 trailer with tags dated 8/52, it has the jumper plug attched to trailer wiring behind a cover on RH draw bar

the rolling frame I found has no tags or markings other than few on rear cross member. Frame does have the hole for receptical in R fr corner. actually trying to date the frame, which probably wont be possible

does anyone know what was the years of production? & how many approx were built?
also does the Trailer TM cover individual parts or is there a seperate parts list for M100.

Thanks for the help
bruce
OKCM38CDN

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On M-100 the only markings will be the data plates...

they were not stamped any where else...

What make of trailer, Strick or Knapple... Strick used aluminum data plates the others used brass...

I have a Strick made in 7/52 serial number 104... have the original tags for it...
missuson

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a dunbar (kapplling)?(napplling)? #285895, 8/52, model 73-7000
and I guess i can answer my own Q parts list G-747 is needed,
Top RH drawbar of trailer is stamped with 01285896, I havent found any stampings on rolling frame yet. the drawbar stamp is very close to Mfg SN?
rear of trailer has been cut out??, waiting for rear panel from Stephen Green, JPP
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Bruce.

There are several manuals available for the M100. They are the first service manual TM 9-871 dated 27 JUL 1951, the first ORD 9 SNL G-747 dated 7 FEB 1952 an ORD7/8 dated JUL 1956 and finally the TM 9-2330-201-14 Dated 26 APR 1972 which was a modern service and parts in one manual.

All the M100's came with the hole in the frame for the plug receptacle and the two brackets on the front panel for the storage box. As Hal mentioned above sometime around 1953/54 they dropped the cable with two plugs and the box. We have seen dozens of early trailers without the box or plug receptacle that should have came with them originally but it stands to reason the Army would eventually only stock the later cable and trailer harness and that at depot rebuilds or during harness replacements the trailer would be upgraded to the newer setup.

The manufacturers as far as is known today didn't use any serial markings on the frames. During some periods the serial numbers were often used as the registration number painted on the tub. During rebuilds sometimes that number would be stamped on the draw bar. There are a ton of variables and neither Dunbar Kappel or Strict retained any known records of production. There were two more builders as well in later years. With the M416 introduced in 1959 to fit the M151 series I doubt any new M100 production continued much further than the 60's.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> M100 & other 1/4 T trailers All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: