Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

M38 Radio Power Cable/Connector
Wanted to buy - C-375/VRC
Battery cut off in motor compartment?
Cross Member Radiator Tabs
WTB M38 distributor breaker plate tabs
Hodakaguy M38 Misc Thread
1950 M38 no reading on the dash amp meter
Transfer Case rebuild issues
Zerks causing trouble.
1952 M38 converting to 12V

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - Leaf spring rebuild
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Leaf spring rebuild

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ranger

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 7:00 pm    Post subject: Leaf spring rebuild Reply with quote

I remember looking at a topic where someone rebuilt the leaf springs, I just went through all 62 pages looking at anything that contained the words leaf spring in the title and found nothing. Can someone help me out and provide a link to the topic? I hate just asking but I'm tired of looking.

Thanks, Ranger
hill

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 8:02 pm    Post subject: leaf springs Reply with quote

Go to downloads then to M38 and M38 A1 then at top of page go to axle . I hope this helps.
Ranger

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, thats even better than what I was looking for.
mckim

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll make a few comments on that guide:

First, you should NEVER use metal prep (phosphoric acid) solution on springs. This results in what is known as hydrogen embrittlement, which will lead to cracks and failure of the springs. Your results may not be as sudden as this guy's: http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/general/rust-removal-lesson-learned-213091/ but still very possible. Some argue that it's not actually hydrogen embrittlement, but that the acid attacks any existing small cracks (which all of our springs do in fact have), causing accelerated fracture. Either way, the results are bad, and not necessarily immediate. The same goes for electrolytic rust removal.

Second, grease between the leaves isn't really necessary. In fact, the shop we had re-arch and reassemble our springs strongly recommended against it, as it collects and retains extra, abrasive, dirt. A well-known restoration book (Collector Car Restoration Bible by Matt Joseph) also lists it as a big no-no. That dirt will wear through your carefully painted leaves and start rusting (even though you have a thin layer of grease in there). (And painting isn't really necessary, but won't hurt anything either. It's going to wear off quickly.)

Also, have you checked the arch of your springs yet? Worth doing before disassembly so you don't end up having to take your spiffy rebuilt springs in to the shop for all that manual persuasion (beatings with a hammer).

Otherwise, knock yourself out. Very Happy
53a1

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mckim,

Where did you take your springs to get re-arched? How much did it run you?

Thanks.
mckim

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

53a1 wrote:
Where did you take your springs to get re-arched? How much did it run you?

We took them to E & C Spring here in Escondido. He disassembled, wire wheeled, re-arched, reassembled with new hardware where necessary, and painted them. $150 for each pair.

http://www.eandcspring.com/
DJ

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The local spring shop here told me he could rearch them ,but wouldn't reccomend or guarantee them. He said within a year the 60 year old springs would be sagging again.
mckim

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The guy at E & C said that's what would happen if they were just re-arched using a press instead of hammering each on an anvil by hand.
53a1

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks mckim.

I head down that way from Kern Co. sometimes and I wouldn't mind having mine done.

Thanks for the heads up on using acid on springs. I did use some on my springs so I'll keep watching them to see what happens.
RimfireJim

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

53a1 wrote:
Thanks mckim.

I head down that way from Kern Co. sometimes and I wouldn't mind having mine done.

53a1: E&C Spring has been in town as long as I can remember (we've lived here since '84) and does a lot of work for the nearby restoration shops as well as 4WD truck mods and heavy-duty commercial truck work. The guy seems like a real straight shooter, and experienced, and took extra care to rebuild ours as close to original as possible. We didn't need any leaves replaced (good thing, because that size of stock isn't available anymore), but did need some new clips in addition to the re-arching. I told him "no hurry" and he said, "OK, how about [two days later]?"

Look us up if you get down here.
Jim
53a1

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank for the info. I'd love to check out your project. I was in Escondido for 10 years myself so know the area very well.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: