Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

Wiper motor...which is the correct one?
Lead additive, one more question.
M31C mount with or without replica weapon
Backfire and Hesitation
Wanted: Steering column and shaft for M38-1952, or late CJ2A
2024 CT. MILITARY VEHICLE SHOW AND FLEA MARKET- JUNE 15,2024
Brake Line
How to link full size photos in posts
Clutch release bearing support cast tab for return spring
T90 case replacement required?

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - Head Bolt vs Water Jacket (M38A1)
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Head Bolt vs Water Jacket (M38A1)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
madmike

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:47 pm    Post subject: Head Bolt vs Water Jacket (M38A1) Reply with quote

I am ready to put the head back on my F head engine and when chasing threads noticed the front head bolt, that also holds the oil filter bracket, is exposed to water. The manual does not mention putting any sealer on this bolt but in the past, on other engines, it has been recommended to seal any bolt on a water jacket. Is there no need to worry or should I seal it and with what. I used to use number 2 Permatex but there is probably a better thread sealer nowadays.

Also, the head gasket does not have a description of the correct side up. If my memory is correct, the side with the metal showing between and across to cylinders 2 and 3 is the side to the cylinder head. The other side only has the outline of the combustion chamber with no connecting metal. Can anyone confirm. Obviously it's been awhile since I built an engine.

Thanks....Mariposa Mike

Shocked
RICKG

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just went thru that with my rebuilt L-134 flattie.
I had 2 coolant leaks at the headbolts and the system
wasn't even under pressure. I used permatex #1-
problem solved (for now).
#1 is the hardening variety p-tex, the #2 is non-
hardening-dont know if theres a drawback to
either one.
madmike

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the fast response. It's kinda what I thought. If it can go wrong it will-says Murphy. The hardening type would, I think, seal but may cause a problem on removal. That's why I was thinking #2. I used to use the #2 on every gasket and hose that was next to water and NEVER had a leak. Some thought it overkill but I repeat, I never had a leak. I suppose it could cause an incorrect torque reading with compound on a bolt. Now I am wondering if my F head has another bolt on a water jacket. Going to have to get a flashlight out.
GPA

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I suppose it could cause an incorrect torque reading with compound on a bolt.
Torque values are given for unlubricated, clean threads. What about using the friction modifying Permatex #2 or3 on the threads? Torque values should be reduced to avoid overtorquing the fasteners. By how much?
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Genera;;y 10 to 20 % reduction. I have a chart somewhere I'll post later today. Or you can google torque specification chart and one will pop up.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
GPA

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just in time Wes, I am about to install the head on a CJ5. If you locate the chart, please put it up here. Thanks.
GPA

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My son was reading this topic and thought the water jacket is a raincoat. Rolling Eyes
He is only 11.
madmike

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well if we mess up the rebuild, he will need that raincoat to keep the radiator water off of him.

Not getting an answer to the head gasket question, I went by the machine shop/engine builder I use. The gasket is metal rimmed around the cylinders and for lack of knowing the material, an asbestos looking fiber compound on the rest of it. He said I was correct about the connecting metal side being up. I had planned on using copper spray to coat both sides of this gasket but he said it's not necessary with that type of gasket. The older metal gasket I removed is another story. It had been coated on both sides and that is necessary on those. He said if I insisted on using the copper compound, to lightly spray the gasket. The gasket set I am using came from Midwest Military and the gaskets are all fresh as opposed to NOS.

Thought those venturing into this territory would like to know.

Cylinder head installation tomorrow after I move my neighbors 1920 Chevrolet Baby Grand touring car. It's running now but not licensed and he is afraid to put it on the highway out to his place. Pretty neat open car that is for sale if anyone want's to enter a new world of terminology and engineering.

Mariposa Mike
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A word of caution on head gaskets. The manuals description of the installation procedure is based on the Willys OEM head gasket which if I recall correctly was the old Felpro gasket. Any new gasket you buy today will not be the same gasket. Some are all metal, some are composite and metal and some are even no re-torque necessary gaskets. Each manufacturer includes an installation instruction sheet with their gasket. They are the instructions you should be following. Use the appropriate shop manual along with the gasket manufacturer's data and where there is conflict between the two the gasket manufactures directions take precedence.

There are metallic/composition compound gaskets out there whose metal side does not go up. Wink

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can look at the larger file photos in my album at:
http://willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules/gallery/albums/Wes-Knettle/4_G_002.jpg
and
http://willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules/gallery/albums/Wes-Knettle/5_G_002.jpg

These are general torque charts to be used when the specific torque is not listed in the service manual.

madmike

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not seeing instructions in the gasket set, I just called John Bizal at Midwest. He said there are not instructions in the set and that his engine builder does not put anything on the gasket. He mentioned that if you are putting the head gasket on today, leave the valve cover off and come back tomorrow and retorque as some gaskets will crush down somewhat. That will be my plan of attack.
madmike

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay. Last post on this issue. I just got a pen light out and checked the block for more bolts on a water jacket. They appear to ALL be on water jacket. Maybe a couple are not but the bottom of the hole may just be cruded over. I'm coating all the bolts with sealant.
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's the easiest and simplest way. Let's you torque all the same. You should go to the web site of manufacturer of your head gasket for tech info on their gasket. US made gaskets will have the manufacturer's name on it.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: