Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

M38 Radio Power Cable/Connector
Wanted to buy - C-375/VRC
Battery cut off in motor compartment?
Cross Member Radiator Tabs
WTB M38 distributor breaker plate tabs
Hodakaguy M38 Misc Thread
1950 M38 no reading on the dash amp meter
Transfer Case rebuild issues
Zerks causing trouble.
1952 M38 converting to 12V

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - Installing The Clutch Fork On An A1
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Installing The Clutch Fork On An A1

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
madmike

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:48 am    Post subject: Installing The Clutch Fork On An A1 Reply with quote

I spent several hours yesterday trying to install the fork lever behind the throwout bearing after placing the transmission against the bell housing. The manual says to install the lever after securing the transmission and do this thru the inspection hole in the top of the bell housing. All I manage to do is get close and then drop the lever into the bottom. I even convinced my wife to try with her much smaller hands. It appears that there is not enough room on the side to allow the lever to slip behind the collar, without first depressing the pressure plate.

There must be some better approach than I am taking, which is to insert the lever small end first, while holding a pry bar to keep the bearing against the pressure plate, and then try to get the ears/arms of the lever behind the collar ( just before dropping it again into the bottom). I even disconnected the spring and still could not get it on. With the trans on the bench I trial fit it first and no problem. I sure could use a suggestion to get this hooked up. I have been trying to do this with the cable installed thinking it does not take up much room.

Please help!!!!! Anybody done this before?
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are certainly doing it pretty much the way I do. Is your pressure plate adjusted correctly? IE fingers too high. Is your clutch disc installed the correct direction with it's raised center hub towards the tranny? If not it will force the pressure plate finger towards the tranny.

To help with the frustration factor of dropping the fork tie a thin piece of copper wire around it and to one of the inspection cover bolt holes.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php

Last edited by wesk on Mon Aug 22, 2011 2:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
madmike

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well Wes. You nailed it. I just checked the clutch plate and the raised center hub is lookin' at me. I don't know how I got this turned around because I believe I had it oriented correctly. I had a little delay while looking for a tool to align these and must have not paid attention. Now I get to pay the redo gods. Disassembly begins today.

Thanks for the heads up. My head is obviously where the moon don't shine.

Humbly submitted,

Mariposa Mike
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Bad. The raised center hub fits in the recess in the pressure plate. So it should be facing the tranny. I'll correct my post above.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
madmike

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a problem. I was working on my pick-up and did not get to the tear down. Of course that also means I am back to square one. I will try attaching a wire and see if that helps. I cannot imagine assembly line guys or military mechanics going thru this. Maybe they had a reeeeeely little person to do this job.

Mariposa Mike
artificer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW
Remove the bellhousing then assemble all to it including the clutch fork , throwout a return spring then fit the bellhousing/tranny back in place would probably be quicker & the way things were meant to be done.
YOU CAN'T TROUBLESHOOT WHAT YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND
madmike

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John...You might be right. I will try Wes's idea using wire and if that does not work, I'll put the beer on ice and get a couple more hands over here. My wife is in hiding now.

Either way I will update the post if it isn't too far down the line.
madmike

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Houston..the shifting fork is in place. All systems are go for now.

I used the method Wes suggested by looping a long piece of bailing wire around the small end, making one twist in the wire so it would not slip off, and then dropping it small end first into the housing at several different angles until I found the correct one. I put the small end as far as I could at about a 45 degree angle, clearing the collar, then pushing the collar forward and bringing the fork back behind the collar. It almost snapped into place as this is a tight fit. The wire allowed me to pull the fork into place, which I had not been able to do before.

I was working with the wire, long nose pliers, a screwdriver and a another pair of short long nose pliers. I now know how a dentist feels working in small areas with lots of tools. The cable was pretty simple to attach by leaving the wire on and using it to move the fork forward so that I could see what I was trying to do. BTW, I resorted to using my Dewalt flex head light after burning myself on the drop light a few times. Did I mention these are tight quarters?

This appears to be correct now so I will proceed to attach the transfer case, etc. Thanks to Wes and those who responded and I hope this helps someone else.

Mariposa Mike
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good job!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: