Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

2024 CT. MILITARY VEHICLE SHOW AND FLEA MARKET- JUNE 15,2024
Brake Line
How to link full size photos in posts
Clutch release bearing support cast tab for return spring
T90 case replacement required?
Kaiser Willys carburetor
M38 Parachute Spools
Engine serial number
M38 Body Strainer
USAF Forward Air Controller M38A1 photo

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - Safety issues and their solutions for old daily drivers
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Safety issues and their solutions for old daily drivers

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:22 pm    Post subject: Safety issues and their solutions for old daily drivers Reply with quote

Ken brought up a very good point in another post that makes a lot of sense. The stock military canvas top has very limited visibility and with only the left side mirror can create some really hair raising events in modern traffic.

So let's use this sticky to list safety issues we found when using our jeeps in modern traffic and how we solved them.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
hill

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:37 pm    Post subject: Light bar Reply with quote

I haven't made one yet but have been thinking about how to mount a removable light bar that can be attached with magnets or other means and hook into the trailer socket so you can keep the original tail lights and still be very visible in heavy traffic. You can drive to the show and remove the light bar and not loose points.
sonny

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because of the restricted view, I have added a windshield mounted rear view mirror. I've had the experience of nearly being hit from behind by a lady talking on cell phone. That scared me so badly that I added a flashing yellow light on a bracket just over the spare tire. Its magnetic base lets me remove it if I want. I run the light when I'm on a main road with traffic - Sonny

acengraver

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 8:26 am    Post subject: Regarding the auxiliary lights. Reply with quote

I used a pair of cheap (oops inexpensive) towing lights and a plug and cable for the military trailers. I made a couple of brackets that, lined with self adhesive foam insulation to prevent scratching that clip over the top bows when they are in the stowed position. I added a second socket in each light so I could have a seperate brake light. I put 24V bulbs in the sockets andcovered the wires in split plastic type looming. The lights are amber toward the front of the Jeep and of course the red lenses in the back are much higher-up, brighter and easier to see than the originals. I can easily unplug the lights and stow them under the back seat when I arrive at my destination. I'm thinking about adding a toggle switch and flasher so I could add turn signals.
Cacti_Ken

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 5:21 pm    Post subject: Brake light modification Reply with quote

On the jeep I modified the rear lights, and wired both sides for brake lights and added Gamma Goat lens.

On the trailer, which I don't pull down the highway much I just modified the right side with brake light and added a left side lens.

TonyMorreale

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

acengraver - can you provide a diagram or a picture of how you run the lights from your trailer socket? Or, can someone tell me which holes in the socket to use for adding additional brake lights in this manner?

I have a set of magnetic tow lights in the garage and this sounds like a great idea for added safety.

I also use gamma goat lenses and also mount one of those large reflective triangles on on my spare. Its big enough that it covers most of the wheel and is a great asset at night.
RICKG

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TonyMorreale wrote:
and also mount one of those large reflective triangles on on my spare. Its big enough that it covers most of the wheel and is a great asset at night.

Check your states statutes before putting a triangular "slow moving
vehicle" warning on the back of your jeep. In some states including
Idaho (where i live) they're not legal to display on vehicles that
are subject to registration.
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
TonyMorreale

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Wes.

rickg - good point to bring up to the forum. Everyone should check their local laws/regulations, especially regarding stop light requirements on antique vehicles.

Here in TN it's OK to add the "slow moving vehicle" triangle reflector to our antique vehicles/jeeps.

Also, in TN there are three categories of registered antique vehicles and they all have slightly different stop light safety requirements. Antique cars require 2 stop lights after the model year 1929, antique trucks (including our jeeps) are good with one stop light up to 1960 and the third category escapes my memory.
RICKG

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:49 am    Post subject: Another way to mount a rear view mirror.. Reply with quote

I found that the 5" round side mirror is inadequate for driving in traffic.
Don't want to drill holes in my windshield frame-(we spend WAY too much
time welding 'em up during our restos). Found a liteweight mirror with
a plastic housing and epoxied it to a heavy magnet. It stays put on
the pavement, but i've got to pull it off when i'm off-road but that's
OK cuz offroad youre not looking for the mini-van texting fussin w/radio
eatin a cheeseburger ridin up your tailpipe Laughing

Bretto

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice add on. Looks like a GM mirror. I might have to adopt that option to mine. I to find the 5" inadequate. I dont know how, on those 60-70's cars with the mirrors way out on the fenders, were useful.
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I drove those 60's and 50's cars with those mirrors in the 60's and 70's and they were adequate then. Even the huge for me at the time 48 Ford one ton stake bed only had the two door mirrors and if you set them up correctly they were also adequate.

If you tilt the side mirrors outboard far enough they will cover the center rear blindspot untill someone is about 5 feet off your rear bumper. At that distance you won't need the mirror view since you can actually feel them drafting you. Wink

Xamon

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

interesting point about mirrors. mine has a rearview mounted already, not sure if it is military installed or not, I haven't scraped the paint to find out yet, but it looks period appropriate. small not very adjustable etc. I have a couple pics where you can see it or can take more if anyone is interested... I think I cna get past the tub to the window frame anyways. at least I sold the tr7 so I got the frame into the garage for the winter.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: