Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

M38 Radio Power Cable/Connector
Wanted to buy - C-375/VRC
Battery cut off in motor compartment?
Cross Member Radiator Tabs
WTB M38 distributor breaker plate tabs
Hodakaguy M38 Misc Thread
1950 M38 no reading on the dash amp meter
Transfer Case rebuild issues
Zerks causing trouble.
1952 M38 converting to 12V

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - Silver City trip pictures, now with video link added!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Silver City trip pictures, now with video link added!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Events/Transportation
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jbjeeps

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 9:10 am    Post subject: Silver City trip pictures, now with video link added! Reply with quote

Six vehicles went on the ride yesterday. Weather was great and not much other traffic. This is a nice day trip from the Boise area, or, bring your camping gear and stay awhile.

We started out just north of Murphy at 2300' and climbed to New York Summit at 6800', then dropped down into Silver City at 6200'.

At the beginning on flat desert terrain. Jack's M38a1, Todd's CJ3b, Doug's CJ3b, Marshall's M37 and Bruce's 6x6. Matt joined us shortly after this photo was taken in his Cherokee.

The terrain gets steep and deep shortly after leaving the main road. As a result, travel was slow, 10-20 mph. We made at least 6 stops along the 20 mile drive to enjoy the scenery and talk about our vehicles. No one was in any hurry to get back to the real world.

Silver City church on the left and school house, currently being restored, on the right.

Looking north on Main St.

The guy in the white shirt, a Silver City resident, walked down the line of our vehicles and looked at each one, then, turned around and walked across the street to the garage seen in the picture above, unlocked the doors, and pulled this out . . .

Nice guy. We spent 15-20 minutes talking with him and two other locals and got some good info on other rides in the area.

Here's a link to some video Doug shot. Nice job Doug!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xiaxrHc82w4

Here's the link to the Silver City website if you'd like more info: http://www.historicsilvercityidaho.com/

There are lots of great rides in southwest Idaho. We're looking for other folks who are interested in joining us for other rides like this. Send me a note with your email address and we'll add you to the list.

See you at the Old Jeep Rendezvous in Ashton, Idaho 9:00 am - Noon on the first Saturday after July 4th. All pre-1970 Jeep vehicles, military or civilian, stock or modified welcome.

Last edited by jbjeeps on Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:53 am; edited 1 time in total
SledDog

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's awesome! Great pictures and story, thanks for sharing!!
RICKG

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're having too dang much fun Jack.. I'm nearing completion
on my M-38 project and should be ready to roll next spring.
See you then!!
jbjeeps

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RICKG wrote:
You're having too dang much fun Jack.. I'm nearing completion
on my M-38 project and should be ready to roll next spring.
See you then!!

Life is short my friend, every day's a big juicy steak and I savor every bite! We'll be glad to have you along! And if you need a Jeep fix, let me know, my wife doesn't always go and so the right seat is sometimes open.

See you at the Old Jeep Rendezvous in Ashton, Idaho 9:00 am - Noon on the first Saturday after July 4th. All pre-1970 Jeep vehicles, military or civilian, stock or modified welcome.
oilleaker1

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like the Silver City resident Jeep owner has a CJ2A windshield and civi top bow set shoe horned on to a 44-45 MB or GPW. What did you notice? John( PS, drove my Austin Healey 150 miles today, just got home and saw your post. Good fun touring down there too! )
jbjeeps

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oilleaker1 wrote:
Looks like the Silver City resident Jeep owner has a CJ2A windshield and civi top bow set shoe horned on to a 44-45 MB or GPW. What did you notice? John( PS, drove my Austin Healey 150 miles today, just got home and saw your post. Good fun touring down there too! )

Driving an Austin Healey sounds like a good way to spend a day too!

I don't know much about those early year Jeeps so I'll trust your observations, the only thing the owner said was that it was a "1942".

We spotted 4 old Jeeps owned by locals while we were there, 2 being driven and 2 parked. So, it may be a "ghost town" but old Jeeps are alive and well!

RimfireJim

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks like it was a fun trip. I haven't ever been to that part of Idaho, so I got to see a little of it for the first time on the video. My favorite part of the video is where the camera is set up to catch all the vehicles coming through the S curve. And the "soundtrack" is distinctly Willys!
jbjeeps

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you enjoyed it Jim. You'll have to add that area to your list for when the M38 is running. I haven't spent much time out in that Owyhee area either, so it's all "new roads" for me too. Looking forward to doing more exploring out there myself.

GIJOE290

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh WOW! Neat stuff!!! Cool Cool

Thanks for sharing!
Serial #56535
"The Green Goat"

Restoration Begins Summer 2005! ...Er Maybe 2006? 2010? 2015? 202...?
cinnabarsam

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, while you were there did you stop and have a few beers with my cousin?
She has the house across the creek from where the MB is kept. If she was
there she probably came over to see if I had my jeep along and bring me a beer. Or 3!!! Sam
jbjeeps

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cinnabarsam wrote:
So, while you were there did you stop and have a few beers with my cousin?
She has the house across the creek from where the MB is kept. If she was
there she probably came over to see if I had my jeep along and bring me a beer. Or 3!!! Sam

If you'd told us about that before we went we could have knocked on her door and told her you sent us. Or, you could have gone with us and made sure we didn't leave town thirsty!

cinnabarsam

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't see your posting until after the fact. If I'd seen it earlier I could have
talked to some other guys and we would have brought a M38 and two M38A1s.
If you decide to do it again post here and I'll see if I can go.
The video was interesting. For those that have never been there it looks like you are on flat ground when actually it is a long hard 2nd gear pull. In a
M38 or MB you have to run flat on the floor and sometimes shift to 1st in the steeper spots. If you leave the "Good Road" you'll figure out what low range is all about. Sorry I missed it. Sam
RICKG

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you in Idaho, Sam??
jbjeeps

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cinnabarsam wrote:
If you decide to do it again post here and I'll see if I can go. Sam

We're planning to take a ride somewhere in the Idaho City area on Saturday, October 15. I'll post more info on it this coming weekend.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Events/Transportation All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: