Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

2024 CT. MILITARY VEHICLE SHOW AND FLEA MARKET- JUNE 15,2024
Brake Line
How to link full size photos in posts
Clutch release bearing support cast tab for return spring
T90 case replacement required?
Kaiser Willys carburetor
M38 Parachute Spools
Engine serial number
M38 Body Strainer
USAF Forward Air Controller M38A1 photo

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - bumperettes
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

bumperettes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bretto

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:59 am    Post subject: bumperettes Reply with quote

Are the bumperettes for the MB/GPW the same for the M38 and M38a1?
evanso1975

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good question. The part numbers are different:

MB = WO-A-1157
M38 = WO-800078

I compared the hole centres on my M38 frame with my father's GPW frame, and they look to be the same. Wonder if the M38 bumperettes have more curvature (to allow for the rear lift shackles)?? Confused

Unless someone beats me to it, I'll compare my M38 bumperettes with the GPW ones at the weekend.....

Wbr,
Owen.

1951 US Air Force M38
1944 F-1 1/2-ton Airdrome Trailer
1940 C15 Chevrolet CMP 11-cab
1939 DKW KS200 Motorcycle
MVT # 19406
Bretto

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Owen
RimfireJim

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to this thread http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=12353&highlight=#12353, the MB/GPW had 3/8" holes while the M38/M38A1 used 1/2" bolts. Otherwise, it sounds like they are the same.
evanso1975

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The GPW bumperette is pretty much the same as the M38 one, apart from the following:

1) 3/8" holes (GPW) as opposed to 1/2" (M38). Thanks RimfireJim!
2) GPW bumperette sticks out approx. 1/8" further than the M38 one (see below):

It could be that either the GPW (green) or M38 (white) bumperette in the photo has distorted over the years. But the widths and hole positions are about the same, so I don't think so.

Since the GPW bumperettes have different part numbers from the MB ones, it's possible that Ford wartime jeep bumperettes were a different size to Willys wartime ones. Save that argument for another forum. Wink

Apart from the 1/8" difference, all you need to do is re-drill the holes to suit (1/2"). So yes, the GPW ones will fit the M38. And you get the satisfaction of mocking the jeep police for not noticing. Mr. Green

1951 US Air Force M38
1944 F-1 1/2-ton Airdrome Trailer
1940 C15 Chevrolet CMP 11-cab
1939 DKW KS200 Motorcycle
MVT # 19406
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pulling the GPW unit front flanges closer to each other to match the spacing of the M38 below it will probably take in the 1/8" gap. If you use the GPW or MB bumperettes and want to fool the jeep police be sure to turn them right side down! Wink

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
madmike

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The repop I got from Debella's for my A1 had the smaller hole and I needed to drill it out to the larger size. I wondered why at the time, but now it makes sense. They are made for both and of course, you can't go the other way to make a 1/2 hole a 3/8 hole. It was a very good copy and they do pull in considerably when you bolt them on. I too thought at first the repop was larger. Slight difference in width of the flange on the lower side but other than that, very nice.

I also had/have one additional hole in my bumperettes near the top, on the outside. It is offset to the right and about a 5/16 inch hole. Does not look like a bubba hole but also does not appear to be anything anyone has seen before. Could have been something added during service since it was covered with the OD green paint put on when sold off by the military. Also I noted that the holes were not exactly placed in the same position as you would expect if manufacturing did it.

I just purchased a late model top bow hold down bracket from another vendor (and glad to get it) and noticed it was cut differently than the original. I suppose these parts varied somewhat depending on the manufacturer from year to year.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: