Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

Compression testing results.
Rear brake cyclinder compatability
T90 inspection before action?
M38 Radio Power Cable/Connector
Wanted to buy - C-375/VRC
Battery cut off in motor compartment?
Cross Member Radiator Tabs
WTB M38 distributor breaker plate tabs
Hodakaguy M38 Misc Thread
1950 M38 no reading on the dash amp meter

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - M-38 Radiator dimensions please?!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

M-38 Radiator dimensions please?!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jordan

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:46 pm    Post subject: M-38 Radiator dimensions please?! Reply with quote

Does anyone know the width, height and depth of the M-38 radiator (its probably the same as the CJ3-A).

Thanks,

Jordan Question
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While we are waiting on someone to go out to their garage and measure the radiator for you why not tell us what you are interesting in doing with this exercise?

You are looking at three different radiators.
48/49 CJ3A bottom mount
49/52 CJ3A side mount
50/52 M38 bottom mount with lower side engine support arms.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
Jordan

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wes, do I have to tell?! Embarassed My cylinders are bored .060 over. I've been told that I may have cooling issues as a consequence of the thin cylinder walls, so I was going to get a custom almuminum radiator with an electric fan in lieu of the stock radiator. Also, I don't actually have the original radiator and my jeep is somewhat "civilianized" so there is no compelling reason to stay "bone stock original".
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well if you at least have the stock L134 then 60 over is not a cause for overheating. You can go 80 over without overheating on that engine. Since you are overheating can we assume you have a radiator in the jeep right now?
1- If we are correct then what model radiator is it and have you established the radiator is clear and flows air and coolant freely?
2-Have you established the block's water jackets are clean and flow freely? 3-Have you checked the thermostat for proper operation in a test pot of water?
4-Is the thermostat installed correctly on top of the spacer?
5-Have you checked to confirm the water pump is in fact moving the coolant?
6-Have you checked the lower hose for an internal spring to prevent it's collapsing?
7-Is the ignition timing correct?

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
Jordan

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have not run the jeep since over-haul, so I do not know for sure that I will have a cooling issue. (In fact, I've never run this engine since the jeep was not running when purchased). Any advise is greatly appreciated. I can get a custom aluminum radiator for about $450.00. I think an M-38 radiator from Walck's is about the same. Is the fabric or rubber sealing material (the stuff that seals the grill shroud around the radiator) still available somewhere? I'd need those small staples and other fastening hardware.
RimfireJim

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The main body of the radiator is 20-1/4" wide, 17-3/4" high, and 3-3/8" thick. Those are outside-to-outside dimensions not including brackets, shroud, connections, neck, etc., but do include the top and bottom tanks. The core looks like 20" wide by 13-1/2" high.
And I didn't even have to go out to my garage or driveway - the radiator is currently residing in my living room, along with an assortment of other restored and replacement parts awaiting re-installation!

Yes, the radiator seals are available, as a kit, from DaBella's and Midwest Military (p.11), among others, for around $20 for all three including staples. My new set is in the aforementioned assortment. Smile
Bretto

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim,
I bet it looks like Christmas morning in your place.
Very Happy
ocwd

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I measured my radiator at 20 1/2" wide by 17 1/2" tall by 3 1/4" thick (not including fan shroud). I can provide pictures if needed.

Dave
oilleaker1

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim, bravo!!!!! Nothing better defines a true enthusiast than precious toy parts stored safely in your house. Carpet pads them from scratches or damage unless youngins are on the warpath Shocked . Baking parts in your wifes oven also are up there! Chrome grills on the dresser in the bedroom etc. Another good story is the rancher that had a brand new Lincoln town car with the rear seat cushions removed and sheep in the back. A gas station attendant asked " Why are you hauling dirty smelly sheep in your new car?" He answered, " $&% son, they paid for it, they can ride in it!" John
Jordan

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 7:02 pm    Post subject: Thanks!! Reply with quote

Jim & OCWD:

Thanks very much for the numbers. I greatly appreciate it.

Jordan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: