Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

Zerks causing trouble.
1952 M38 converting to 12V
M38A1 Slave Bucket location
M274 A3 Mule For Sale
flywheel advice
conversion from a 12 volt system back to a 24 volt system
M151 A2 + M416 Trailer For Sale
M38 ignition points condensor
TM9-8015-1 Clarification
Wiper motor...which is the correct one?

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - Removing transmission and transver with body off
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Removing transmission and transver with body off

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ryan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 5:16 pm    Post subject: Removing transmission and transver with body off Reply with quote

I am planning to remove my transmissin and transfer case this weekend from my m38. The body is currently off of the frame. Do I need to remove the tranny/transfer case as a unit or can I remove one at a time?
Also, I have a pto control installed, I just undo the bolts and pull it out right? All I need to cover this with is a plate?
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ryan,
Not sure what you're asking about a plate. Just follow the removal steps in the service manual. The tranny/transfer and OD can come out as a complete unit.

Use these two sites for your dissaembly and rebuild:
Transmission:
http://www.willystech.com/wt/T90RebuildGuide/T90rebuild.htm
Transfer:
http://www.willystech.com/wt/T90RebuildGuide/T90rebuild.htm

You should print these pages out and read them carefully BEFORE you begin.
Wink

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
davem201m38

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, Only thing I can add is,
watch the cross member mountings, these are cheap to replace and I guess should be as a matter of-couse but they kind of hook on to trasmission rear as I remember, I think they have to come forward BEFORE they can go up. There was so much crud I couldn't figure it out when I tried to lift it all out with a tractor fore end loader.

Putting it back with new mounts was a bugger, as getting all three mounts aligned proved very diffecult, (working alone) easy to get two out of three. In the end I located the last mount with a large steel lever, I think I had to leave one engine mount loose and tighten it up once the engine was sitting on it, which again wasn't easy.
All the best,
Dave
Ryan

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wes, I have read those articles before they are very good. At this time I am only planning on redoing the seals in the transmissino and trannsfer. All of the gears and syncros seem to be good before I started the teardown.

I shouldnt have to do a complete dissasembly to replace just the seals will I? Has anyone just replaced the seals in the transmission and transferr?
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will have to do a partial disassembly. Be sure to read them anyway. There are several important tips to prevent a lot of extra work when you seperate the transfer from the tranny.

One thing to keep in mind if you have never removed this type tranny/transfer before is with the tub removed it's a piece of cake. With the jeep assembled I find it easier to pull the whole thing out with the engine and work on it. With that in mind I would completely disasemble both per the excellant guides and replace anything that can give you bigger grief in the future. Unless you have some guarantee that these units are in tip top shape?

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
Cacti_Ken

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I need to purchase some quality gears etc. for the T90 Trans and Dana 18 Transfer case. Requesting a source.

Ken
Ryan

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wes you are right. Got everything apart yesterday and started taking stuff off today and looks like the front output bearing will have to be replaced as it is a little loose. Which probably means the rear bearing will need to be replaced as well. Havent seperated the tranny and transfer yet. SO I dont know about the front and rear output bearings in the transfer case yet. I will be reading up on the rebuild guides tonight.

By the way, to seperate the tranny and transfer I just remove the cottor pin and nut behind the pto plate and remove the bolts and they should jsut come right off??

One more question, the felt seal for the transmission is smaller ID than to shaft. I am assuming that you force it on the shaft for a TIGHT fit so no leaks? Or would I be better off using a sealed bearing with one side removed like the rebuild guide suggests?
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The big tip I meant for you to find by reading the guides was how to seperate the tranny transfer while keeping the tranny shaft and it's needle bearings from falling out.

Felt seals are only meant to keep dirt and dust away from the bearing. They should not fit any rotating shaft tightly. This will simply cook them.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: