Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

Compression testing results.
Rear brake cyclinder compatability
T90 inspection before action?
M38 Radio Power Cable/Connector
Wanted to buy - C-375/VRC
Battery cut off in motor compartment?
Cross Member Radiator Tabs
WTB M38 distributor breaker plate tabs
Hodakaguy M38 Misc Thread
1950 M38 no reading on the dash amp meter

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - My three lever light switch looks fairly new
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

My three lever light switch looks fairly new

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Deadguy

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:43 pm    Post subject: My three lever light switch looks fairly new Reply with quote

but recently it got a little jammed up. The "unlock" lever doesn't really move, and the top lever switches all the way over even without unlocking it. I have the jeep apart and not running right now, but can anyone tell me if the whole thing is broken, or is there a simple fix?
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's no simple fix. The first two military M series three lever light switches were built by Bendix/Scintilla. These were very well made rebuildable units and have a manual covering their rebuild TM 9-1825E. Bendix had been building magnetos, starters, generators, magneto switches and etc for the aviation world for 25 years before WWII.

The cheapy versions of the three lever light switches produced from 1952 thru about 1990 are junk, throw aways. Most cannot be opened without damaging the case. Those that can be opened with the spring wire retainers in back have no source for parts.

So your choices are find an early Bendix switch, Buy a new switch, or what the heck: bust her open and see what kind of jury rigging you can do. Keep in mind that these circuits on most of the jeeps built since 1951 have no fuses or circuit breakers upstream of that switch.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
Deadguy

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

#@$%@. Saturn Surplus then I guess
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is where you ask yourself another important question.

Are you wanting the correct light switch for your jeep at the risk of buying another left over 20+ year old switch or do you want a reliable, easy to use modern switch just like the ones in todays Humvees?

The modern switch on the left fits the same hole in the dash and the same plug as the one on the right. It does cost about twice as much.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
Deadguy

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, so far I've gone out of my way to keep it looking original. Beachwood Canvas full winter enclosure, 1954 in cab heater, 1963 directional upgrade, and so on. The only really non-army issue thing I have, I think, would be the overdrive. So, I'm thinking, that modern Humvee one would stick out like a sore thumb in the dash!
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not much more than the 63 turn signals. Original generally goes out the door after you move past how it left the factory. I still recall seeing M38A1's at the base DRMO in SD for sale in the late 80's. That switch came out in the late 80's. An old switch and an unfortunate electrical fire behind the dash is always a possibility to think on.

GPA

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My switch had broken parts inside, but I managed to fix it with the help of a lathe and file. It was mentioned on this forum about two years ago. I think I took some pictures of the repaired switch. Do not throw it away, try to fix it first.
Deadguy

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The directionals might not be factory, but they fit in with the look I'm going for. That's one reason I took care get the older version of them. The more modern rubber buttons don't.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: