Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

1950 M38 no reading on the dash amp meter
Transfer Case rebuild issues
Zerks causing trouble.
1952 M38 converting to 12V
M38A1 Slave Bucket location
M274 A3 Mule For Sale
flywheel advice
conversion from a 12 volt system back to a 24 volt system
M151 A2 + M416 Trailer For Sale
M38 ignition points condensor

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - Happy with canvas from Surplus City Jeep
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Happy with canvas from Surplus City Jeep

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
53a1

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 11:55 pm    Post subject: Happy with canvas from Surplus City Jeep Reply with quote

I installed the front seat cushions today and I'm very pleased with how it turned out. The cushions were 82 bucks a seat and everything was included. The base cushions were totally assembled and all I had to do was bolt them on. They even textured and painted the bottom of the base board OD so it looks like metal and installed a blind fastener in the wood. Everything fit perfect and I like the way they doubled up the material where the screws go through the canvas. All the hardware was included.
wilfreeman

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you taken any pictures? I am almost to the point of buying canvas and have wondered about Surplus City's stuff. I read that they use a thinner material, but haven't heard any comments from anybody that bought it. It makes me want to vomit when I think about $400 for seat cushions, but I don't want to drop $300 and not be happy either.

Matt
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
53a1

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Matt.

I don't have enough experience to judge the material they used but it seems fine to me. I measured the edge where it is doubled up and it was .075 so I figure the canvas sheet is half that.

Personally I'm on a serious budget with this project and this was all I could afford. I can't even afford to buy the correct batteries so I have two that won't fit in the compartment sitting in the bed as you can see in this picture. But hey, it's driving and the imortant things like corrosion control I didn't cut corners on.

Hope this helps you make a decision.
gunter635

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those covers look good. I thought about taking some canvas I have to a local boat guy and having them make some seat covers. They recover boat seats and make tops and boat covers. Has anyone tried to do this?
wilfreeman

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I'm in the same boat - holding out on windshield glass too. Right now, when I drive it back and forth out of the shop, I'm sitting on the metal pans, and probably will be for awhile. I know the Jeep won't get a whole lot of use or be judged for correctness, so the correct thickness is not a problem for me - as long as they last. I thought about trying to find a tarp and get the local guy to make covers too - I just haven't searched around to get a firm price yet.

Matt
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Yarder

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I have been researching things, and I'm just about to do just that. WEEBEE Webbing http://www.odcloth.com/products.html has just the canvas seats without the guts.

Then I'm going with a local and well respected marine grade seat cushion company. I have several of their cushions already and they're great! http://www.bottomsiders.com/ The cushions are a solid closed foam.

I decided to go that route instead of refurbishing or replacing my springs as I feel this will be the best thing for me, as I live in a wet area of the country and I don't want to deal with rusty springs. Even though the marine grade cushions are UV resistant, I feel that with the canvas cover, they should last a lifetime.

Same promise, when I get it all done, I'll post pictures!
Deino

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to throw out my opinion, I also got the seat cushions from Surplus City for my M38A1. I love them. No, they're not very original, but most can't tell the difference at a glance and they ride so much better than the spring cushions. Worth every penny to me.

1952 M38 (MC56474, 33 108M HQ6)
1953 M38A1 (MD54216, 40-I-160I B-35)
1954 M170 (MD-A10513)
1964 M416 1/4 Ton Trailer (35-138F CT-12)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: