Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

Wiper motor...which is the correct one?
Lead additive, one more question.
M31C mount with or without replica weapon
Backfire and Hesitation
Wanted: Steering column and shaft for M38-1952, or late CJ2A
2024 CT. MILITARY VEHICLE SHOW AND FLEA MARKET- JUNE 15,2024
Brake Line
How to link full size photos in posts
Clutch release bearing support cast tab for return spring
T90 case replacement required?

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - M38A1 Restoration Project
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

M38A1 Restoration Project
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Jeep Project Threads
View previous topic :: View next topic  
army_inc

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:25 pm    Post subject: M38A1 Restoration Project Reply with quote

Ok. So after posting a few times here and there about certain topics about my A1, I decided it's time to have a restoration forum in the TKB. So as some of you know, Bubba got a hold of this one a while ago. It's a DOD 10/53 USMC M38A1. Here's what I've done so far.
-Removed the windshield
-Removed both Fenders
-Removed Grill
-Removed hood
-Removed seats and gas tank
-Removed fuel neck (maybe not the right term)
-Removed Cadillac steering wheel
-Removed Dashboard

It's got a V8 Chevelle engine in it and I plan on getting an F134 hurricane engine in it. I'm going for a motor pool restoration. It may not be museum quality, but the average GI wouldn't be able to tell the difference. Shoot, my buddy has a 151 and other soldiers in my unit keep asking if I brought my jeep in today Laughing Anyways, I'll try to get some pictures up of it tomorrow. Anyone know how to post pics into the thread without using photobucket or any other type of online server?
wilfreeman

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wes can give you a photo album here - free for the asking. The FAQ has the answers you need. It's on the left side of the page, near the top. Motor pool resto it's good - I started out doing a show resto, and prices kept going up and up, so I am now finishing up a motor pool resto instead! If you plan on driving and/or using it, thats the only way to go.
'51 USMC M100 trailer, '54 M100 trailer, '90 M101a1 trailer
Http://wilfreeman.wordpress.com (M38a1 build blog)
http://m38a1usmc.wordpress.com (USMC M38a1 rebuild blog)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
army_inc

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I have the photo album and here it is:
http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=album135&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
I wanted to go with a motor pool resto because I do plan on using this A1 and enjoying it. A show resto would just be too much for my wallet at this point in time. At least with a motor pool resto, I can use some things that I have around the shop. Although it isn't correct by era, it is still military and I'll probably just say it's a GI modification to make it better for my uses (since I'm a GI it works Laughing )

Well, I have some of the floor plates up. I am in the process of getting the clutch pedal off. The bolt broke so I have to use an easy out and pull it out... Oh well, that's life right?
wilfreeman

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definately going to have problems like that, but look at the good side - the next time you have to take that bolt out, it will come out (just put antiseize on it to make sure!).

That looks like a great starting point - the Jeep looks like the body has been done already. Get that drive train original and you'll bet set!

As far as posting pics goes, open the picture you want to use. Right click on the picture and highlight and copy the url of the picture. When you are ready to insert the picture in your message, click on the IMG button above. Then paste the image url. Then click on IMG again.

I agree on the motor pool resto. I don't want my 'a1 so perfect that I am too scared to drive it on a dirt road for fear of getting a scratch on it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
army_inc

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. Antiseize is awesome stuff. The body hasn't been done but it is in pretty good shape with minor work needed. So that's nice. I need to sand blast it and put in new floor boards as the other ones are pretty rough. I've agreed to buy an engine for $75. It's missing some parts, but for a decent engine, I couldn't go wrong for $75. I did a post on it last week sometime and am sure you can still view it.

Thanks for explaining how to post an image within the post. I'll be doing a lot of that just to make it easy for other members to view the progess. I look at the motor pool resto like this. I plan on driving it every once in a while and if it gets a scratch, that just adds character to the jeep.
wilfreeman

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, $75 is a good price - even if it was for parts.

I went the whole "sandblast everything" route. I don't think I would do it again unless I was doing a show vehicle or had lots of bondo to remove. You can consider the old paint as a filler/primer. Maybe blast the inside and do the floors? Just my 2c worth. Also, I would stay away from MD Juan body parts - buy the US made ones. Again, been there/done that - will never buy another MD or Omix part!
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A short note on photos. They take up a lot of server space. With that in mind try to use the photo once. It's best to load your photos to your album and reference your album link in your postings. Only add additional photos to a posting when an explanation or question is being used and the photo is needed to help with the topic of the post. This helps us keep this web site free to everyone.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
army_inc

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wesk wrote:
A short note on photos. They take up a lot of server space. With that in mind try to use the photo once. It's best to load your photos to your album and reference your album link in your postings. Only add additional photos to a posting when an explanation or question is being used and the photo is needed to help with the topic of the post. This helps us keep this web site free to everyone.

Fair enough! I'll keep the photos in the album unless I have a specific question about something. Thanks!
53a1

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw the pictures of the dash over at G503. No big deal I would just replace the dash when you find one. They are pretty common and will save you some work.

Tub looks good to me and in fact better than mine when I started. Check the hat channels for rust. Mine were basically gone so I decided to remove the tub and replace them.

Don't bother with a wire brush to remove rust. Get a power sander and go to town with some abrasive discs.

Post your pictures at photobucket.com or other site and link them to your email.
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Post your pictures at photobucket.com or other site and link them to your email.

He already has a photo site here. Why go to another one at Photo Bucket?

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
53a1

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oops. I thought the photos in his album took up space on the server. I misunderstood.
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everything loaded to the web site takes space. We only which to keep the space within reason by requesting only data applicable to our topics and no duplification that is not absolutely necessary. We would consider posting a second copy of an album photo to a post to explain a point or clarify a question as necessary. Smile

army_inc

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had my engine buying experience today! I was pleasantly surprised by what the gentleman had in store for me. I got:
F134 engine (I'm going to say about 90% complete as it still needs some parts)
24V Starter that still works
2 carbs
3 fuel pumps (one is brand new still in the box)
2 fender blackout lights
2 dash light switch boxes (not sure if they work though)
"how to repair an M series wiring harness" manual
T90 gasket kit
about 10 light bulbs
Brand new parts for the engine still in the box (way too many to list)
and a myriad of other stuff.

Pretty much my little Ford Focus was packed full. All for a wonderful $75! I have to say my engine buying experience was a success!
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By now you should feel very guilty! Wink

army_inc

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The guy was really nice about it. He and his grandpa used to restore them. Well, unfortunately, his grandfather passed and although he still tinkers with cars, he didn't have anymore jeeps. So I intended on buying the engine and everything else came with! He was very glad to see it going to a good home. I was very happy about the price! Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Jeep Project Threads All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: