Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

Compression testing results.
Rear brake cyclinder compatability
T90 inspection before action?
M38 Radio Power Cable/Connector
Wanted to buy - C-375/VRC
Battery cut off in motor compartment?
Cross Member Radiator Tabs
WTB M38 distributor breaker plate tabs
Hodakaguy M38 Misc Thread
1950 M38 no reading on the dash amp meter

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - Almost done!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Almost done!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wilfreeman

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:55 pm    Post subject: Almost done! Reply with quote

Well, I finally got her out on the street today - although it was only a few different times going from my house to the neighbors field (about 1/4 mile). I got her up to 35mph though!

I got the front end lined up as good as possible without the hood (my brother is still working on it). Every time I made a trip to the field I heard a new rattle and had to track the offending bolt down and tighten it. You may also have noticed that the driver's side wiper motor is missing. The shaft on it was so rusted that the acorn nut would not tighten down, so I will have to find a replacement.

I decided to keep the rear seat back, despite it being short. They offered to fix it if I sent it back, or if I sent my seat frame to them they would fit it to my frame! It doesn't bother me that much, but it sure was good to see the customer service (satisfaction) come into play! I think I will still order my top from them.

Here's a pic of her today - ordered the tires today also (one more step closer!).

'51 USMC M100 trailer, '54 M100 trailer, '90 M101a1 trailer
Http://wilfreeman.wordpress.com (M38a1 build blog)
http://m38a1usmc.wordpress.com (USMC M38a1 rebuild blog)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
STXM38A1

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. Really looks good.
What unit designation are you going to put on it? I see an Armor decal on the windshield.

PHOTO ALBUM:
http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=album33&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
wilfreeman

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks alot! I appreciate it.

Nah, that's an MVPA decal. I'm going to do my Dad's unit from the late 60s. He was in Charlie Co. 391st Corps of Engineers, USAR.

If anyone knows what the bumper markings should be, please let me know - as I am ready to order my stencils. I tried to decipher the manual, but it just made my head hurt! I know the driver side front would be C-3 (Charlie Co., 3rd vehicle).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
RICKG

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a great feeling aint it-after years of work finally driving around
the block! I was in that same place 2 weeks ago and am now chasing
a few small leaks, squeals and loose nuts and bolts. Ah, aint life grand!!
53a1

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks great! I wish I could paint that good.
wilfreeman

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, it is a great feeling - to go farther and farther away from the house each time out. One time I stopped and parked her to take a pic. She sputtered a couple of times, so I threw her in gear and took off toward the house - scared she might quit on me (even though I was in a field 1/4 mile from my house). Didn't quit, and didn't happen again.

I'm like you Rick - got a lot of chasing leaks and squeeks and nuts and bolt tightening left to do.

The NDCCs will be here next Tuesday from Wallace Wade and will be put on when I get off work on Thursday. My brother said he will get my hood done next week, so I can paint it and then decide on the markings.

Thanks for the compliment 53a1 - the paint isn't too bad, but it isn't a detail shot either! There are a few runs and some "not perfect" body work. I'm still undecided about whether to put a final coat on her or not - the panels seem to match pretty good as is.

Here's a pic this afternoon - I pulled the M416 to the house for a pressure washing - almost time to sell/trade that one so I can afford a new top. I have an M100 for my Jeep. How 'bout those custom PVC bows and tarp! And man, what about those tie downs! Hey - it has been sitting at the edge of the woods, filled with M38a1 parts, with that Northern Tool tarp on it for 8 yrs - not a bad investment!

citabra

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The jeep looks great. By using the unit marking info from M38A1.com
what about USAR 391E C 3 ?

I'm trying to mark my M38a1 like my father's unit in the 60's as well.
DaveM38A1

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

looks good Matt. You've done a great job.
I hope to get my engine from the machine shop soon.
Those tires look cool.

Hope to see it at a Fall Rally in the future.

Thanks for posting.

Dave
wilfreeman

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Dave! I would use those tires, except they are stamped with a date code from 1978! I feel like they would come apart at speed. I ordered my NDCCs the other day from Wallace Wade - should be here by Tuesday. I'm pretty sure the next rally I will be at will be the GA one in October.
wilfreeman

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I annotated a front pic of the Jeep with those markings citbra - I think it looks pretty good (except for the leaning Jeep and wrong font). I need to take a current pic of the front end. I'm also still not sure whether I want to put the stars on the fenders - kindof looks guady to me.

What do you think Wes? Is it right for the US Army Reserves 391st Corps of Engineers, Charlie Co, 3rd vehicle - mid to late 60s?
wilfreeman

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, she finally got herself some new shoes today! Now she's lookin' good! 2 problems with the tire installation: 1)They scratched one of the rims pretty bad in 3 places (it will have to be repainted), and 2)THEY DIDN'T BALANCE THEM - what tire service company mounts tires and doesn't balance them? I found these problems when I took them out of the truck. I called and complained - he told me to bring them back. I told him I would bring the Jeep to them when I am finished and they can take them off and put them back on!

Now, for that hood - I think I am going to go paint it in the paint booth at my brother's shop tomorrow, so I should have it on the Jeep Monday.

I'm still in the process of figuring out what unit markings I am going to put on her. Right now I am researching my Dad's artillery unit in 1967 - (3BG-4F83 C-3) Battery C, 3rd Brigade, 4th Battalion, 83rd Field Artillery was his training unit. Hopefully he can find his records so he can give me his home unit numbers. The other choice is his Corps of Engineers unit of the Army Reserves: 391st Corps of Engineers (I still don't have a complete unit yet).

And my new tag. Fitting, I think!

pacho

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Matt, Congratulation she loocks great!!
Just a quenstion, what kind of paint did you use, loocks fantastics.

Regards
Pacho
wilfreeman

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks pacho! I used Gillespie 24087. I think it is a little on the brown side for my tastes, but it is growing on me. I am getting ready to go get my hood at my brother's shop tha I painted Friday. I just called him and asked if it was still glossy - he said it was more semi gloss today. We'll see. I'll post pics.
jeeps8

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One word for you Wilfreeman "jealous". I have a long time to go before mine looks as good as yours.

Looking Great and Congrats!!!!!!
wilfreeman

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks alot guys - compliments help to keep the momentum going. I got my hood back Monday, and it turned out glossy - apparently, semigloss gets glossier with more coats! So that made my mind up - I have to put a final coat on the whole thing so that it all matches. And I have to loosen the whole body back up to line the front end up so the hood fits. Oh well, whats a few more weeks work, I've ben working on her for 14 yrs!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: