Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

1952 M38 converting to 12V
M38A1 Slave Bucket location
M274 A3 Mule For Sale
flywheel advice
conversion from a 12 volt system back to a 24 volt system
M151 A2 + M416 Trailer For Sale
M38 ignition points condensor
TM9-8015-1 Clarification
Wiper motor...which is the correct one?
Lead additive, one more question.

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - M38 shifting levers & tranny removal
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

M38 shifting levers & tranny removal

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
henrydes

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:06 am    Post subject: M38 shifting levers & tranny removal Reply with quote

Have to pull my tranny to replace seals, dont want to pull motor again, what is the easiest way to remove the tranny, and how are the shifting levers removed.
LeeG

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not very familiar with the M38 but if it's the same as the M38A1, just jack the jeep up high enough and you can drop the bellhousing, trany, transfer and shifters right out the bottom after you unbolt everything. I've done it by myself and with a little patience and time, it wasn't that hard to do. Sucked but wasn't hard. I placed a low lift hydraulic jack under the crossmember to lower everything together and then slid the jack out from under it, placing it on a piece of plywood and slid they entire package out the side. Right after I rebuilt mine I had to drop it to replace the brass ring that goes into the very front of the transmission because it wore out and caused a wobble and oil leak in the bell housing.
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are three ways to remove it.

1-Pull the engine and then separate the tranny.

2-Pull the tranny transfer from the rear of the engine while it is installed then separate on the bench.

3-Pull the transfer first from under the jeep then pull the tranny.

None of these can begin to be described as easy.

You neglected to tell us which model jeep you have. You should always list your jeep model when asking for help. The easiest way to do that is place the model of your jeep in your signature by going to your profile and adding it.

M38 manual references:

TM 9-8012
Page 238 Tranny removal
Page 235 Transfer removal
Page 122 Powerplant removal. (Page 128 items (1) thru (4) cover the stick removals)(you do (1) thru (4) without pulling the engine.)

M38A1 manual references:

TM 9-8014
Page 237 Transfer removal
Page 233 tranny removal
Page 123 Powerplant removal. (Page 128 items (1) thru (4) cover the stick removals)(you do (1) thru (4) without pulling the engine.) (page 129 item (1) driveshafts

As you can see the Army considers the Powerplant removal the easiest way to access and service the tranny/transfer and I agree with them. Unless you have access to a lift and the proper supports and tranny jacks. Having done the "Laying on the floor on my back under the beast method I'll never do that again.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make sure you support the rear of the engine or the side mount rubbers will tear.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
henrydes

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 6:40 am    Post subject: Pulling tranny Reply with quote

Sorry about the lack of info...Its an M38... Really need to know the best way to remove the shifting levers.
Cacti_Ken

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 7:10 am    Post subject: Deleted Reply with quote

Last edited by Cacti_Ken on Tue Apr 24, 2012 7:31 am; edited 1 time in total
Cacti_Ken

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First remove all the floor pans. To remove the transmission shift lever, unscrew the six bolts holding the transmission top plate that the shift stick is attached to. If I recall right there are six bolts. Lift the shift lever and top plate straight up and out.
I don't think the transfer case levers need to be removed in order to get the T/C out. They are short enough to not hinder the removal of the T/C. But in any case to get them off, remove the bolt that is going thru the center of them.
I hope you have a manual.

Last edited by Cacti_Ken on Tue Apr 24, 2012 7:24 am; edited 1 time in total
skyjeep50

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If all you want to do is to remove the transfer case shift levers, in the "Downloads" section of this website refer to the diagram on page 76 of TM9-1804B Power Train, Body and Frame for M38. Shows the shift levers are held on the transfer by 1 pivot bolt - unscrew it and the shift levers lift off. The greasable pivot bolt can be accessed through the side of the transmission hump - there's a little door held on by 2 bolts. One of the bolt holes is slotted so you just have to loosen to pivot the door. Greasing the transfer case lever pivot bolt zerk is part of the usual lubrication schedule. You can pull the levers by just removing the lever boot and cover and the pivot bolt.

If you want to service the entire trans/transfer - I agree with the above recommendation to remove the entire power plant as a unit. Even though there are a few more bolts and fittings to undo, the entire process will not take much more time and you are working mostly while standing at the side of the jeep, not crawling around underneath. The biggest pain for me is removing all the floor bolts and removing all the floor panels. But once that's done there isn't that much more to go to have the entire power plant out. I've removed and replaced the power plants on my M38 and M38A1 several times as units and I wouldn't want to try to align and replace the trans while working underneath. Not that it can't be done but I like to work standing up.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: