Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

Transfer Case rebuild issues
Zerks causing trouble.
1952 M38 converting to 12V
M38A1 Slave Bucket location
M274 A3 Mule For Sale
flywheel advice
conversion from a 12 volt system back to a 24 volt system
M151 A2 + M416 Trailer For Sale
M38 ignition points condensor
TM9-8015-1 Clarification

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - Tire Question...
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tire Question...
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
OKCM38CDN

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 3:46 pm    Post subject: Tire Question... Reply with quote

Well I went and ordered 5 - 7.00x16 Firestone NDCC tires, tubes and flaps... They will be delivered to the Chickasha, OK car show next weekend... Unfortunately only pre 1945 vehicles allowed... Sad

I know Firestones are probably incorrect but what the hey...

Question is when I mount the new tires will I need the flaps?

I am not familiar with this type of setup... I have not handled a tire with tube since I was a kid doing bicycle tires... We used Flaps then to protect the tubes from the spokes...

Any help appreciated...
Ryan_Miller
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hal,
Use the flaps as they protect the tubes. I had my tires/flaps mounted last year.

Valve Stem protectors are another story.

As far as I can tell, they did not leave the factory with valve stem protectors.

anyone else know? Cool
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hal,
They do exactly the same thing on the 16" wheels. They protect the tube from the wheel.

A couple of tips.

Start with all the correct tools and supplies.
1-Air source.
2-Air chuck and tire pressure gage.
3-Valve stem tool (wire type)
4-Rubber Mallet
5-Two tire irons
6-Squirt bottle filled with soapy water
7-Tire talc (silicon based)

Use tire talc liberaly on both the flap and the tube. Install the flap. Then sprinkle a little inside the tire before you install the tire on the wheel. Wet the tire bead with soapy water. Get the back tire bead over the front (side with the hole for the valve) rim bead. Leave the valve core out. Install the tube. Put the red dot in line with the valve stem and tap the front tire bead over the front wheel bead.

Inflate the tube to about 45 Lbs. then let all the air out. If you push in on the valve stem while servicing it will help the air trapped between the tube and the tire escape faster. This will help relax the tube and flap and eliminate any folds or twists. Now install the core and inflate to the correct pressure. Bounce the tire on the floor a few times as you rotate it to help make sure the beads have seated completely. Now suirt a little soapy water on your valve cores to see if they leak.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
OKCM38CDN

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice, however I will maynot be doing these myself... I am going to see if the base has tire machine/tools if it does not then they will go to the local tire shop...

I have a week to investigate... also want to take the rims and clean them up and paint them to match the jeep...

Good advice though... only question where does one get the tire talc... I have seen it in tires before just not familiar with where to get it...
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At your friendly Napa store.

http://www.napaonline.com/MasterPages/NOLMaster.aspx?PageId=470&LineCode=BK&PartNumber=7651339&Description=Tire+Repair+Talc+Powder

Most base auto hobby shops I've been to have tire changing machines.

They are very easy to change at home and beats the heck out of carrying 5 wheel assemblies and a set of tires across town. You only need a small bumper jack to break the beads loose and the 16" diameter makes the tire easy to remove and install on the rim.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
OKCM38CDN

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, due to Mother Nature's intervention (3 days of rain we surely needed, and temps in the 40s all week), I finally got the wheels bead blasted and painted... Smile

I am now ready to get the tires mounted, I need to find a couple of tire tools and get a rubber mallet; also the talc. I should be able to go from there.

My question is correct order for putting the tires on the rims, Flap, then first bead of tire, tube, then final bead. Is this correct...

I have done tubeless tires before, but not auto tires with tubes and flaps...

Thanks...
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, inflate the tube and then deflate it with the valve core removed and cover the tube with talc. Now talc the inside of the tire. Align flap with stem hole, then with red dot outward on tire and wheel front side up coat tire beads with soapy water and slip tire's back bead half way over wheel's front edge. Hold one side of tire still with your foot while you tap the other edge of the bead that is in contach with the wheel with the rubber mallet untill it pops all the way on. Now rotate the tire untill the red dot aligns with the valve stem hole in the wheel. Now install the tube and get the valve stem in the whole in the wheel and tie it off or attach a stem pulling tool so you don't loose it inside the tire during the final steps. Now with your feet rock and push the outer bead of the tire into engagement with the wheel's outer bead as far as possible and stand on it. With the rubber mallet continue to tap it down onto the wheel untill it pops in. Now recheck the red dot's alignment with the valve stem. In flate the tube without the core to about 40 pounds to seat the tire and stretch the tube. While doing this push in enough on the valve stem to allow trapped air between the tube and the tire to escape throught the valve stem hole in the wheel. Now let all the air out to relax the tube. This will prevent twists and fold from occurring with the tube. Install the core and reinflate the tire to 40 pounds. Let it sit overnight and recheck the pressure the next day.

wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hal,
How did the tire mounting go? Confused

OKCM38CDN

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will mount the tires tomorrow, Base hobby shop is closed on Mondays... Confused

I also need to pick up some talc...

I can mount the tires for a $1 each... they will balance them for another $5... not to bad...

I hope to be back on the road tomorrow night...

Meanwhile, I have been mounting door pivot brackets and rope channels...

Also, getting to know the newest addition to our menagerie... I found a stray and kind of took her in... a 3 yr old purebred German Shepard... she has had some training and after being here a week is already in the protection mode for the wife and I... but that is another story...

Waiting to see if she will ride in the jeep... Wink

Will let you know how it goes tomorrow...
OKCM38CDN

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tires are on and look good, ride OK, although I only went around the block... No more tires rubbing on the frame Smile

Wes, even using a machine what a bear of a job... My big hands getting into the tire to align the flap and tubes was a bear... took me 3 1/2 hours to do all five tires... Confused I finally got them all done and am going to run them at 25 psi pressure, they seam to do alright there...

Photos to follow, it is 9 PM and too dark to take pictures...

Later...
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you buy your M38A1 the next set will go a lot quicker! Smile

Ryan_Miller
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hal,

PHotos would be Great! Cool
OKCM38CDN

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tires mounted and ready to roll...

Also mounted new rear seat...

Getting there...
Bob_C
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking real good Hal!
Bill_F

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your jeep looks great. It is now the background on my computer, until it gets replaced by a picture of my jeep

Last edited by Bill_F on Wed Apr 05, 2006 7:44 am; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: