Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

Wiper motor...which is the correct one?
Lead additive, one more question.
M31C mount with or without replica weapon
Backfire and Hesitation
Wanted: Steering column and shaft for M38-1952, or late CJ2A
2024 CT. MILITARY VEHICLE SHOW AND FLEA MARKET- JUNE 15,2024
Brake Line
How to link full size photos in posts
Clutch release bearing support cast tab for return spring
T90 case replacement required?

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - Removal of a 1960 M38A1 Front Axle shaft
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Removal of a 1960 M38A1 Front Axle shaft

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
highfavor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:36 pm    Post subject: Removal of a 1960 M38A1 Front Axle shaft Reply with quote

I have already removed the differential cover and removed all connection parts as in the key pin and the top and lower spider gears. I have also went a head and removed the drum down to the back plate taking the shoes and brake cylinder out. I opened the wheel lock and removed the big and smaller snap ring. I took the bolts of the back plate thinking that it would go a head and free the shaft but it did not. I looks as if i have to remove the hold hub assembly. When I pull on the axle shaft it moves only a 1/4 inch and stops. It looks as the is another washer preventing me from removing the axle.
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The front axle shaft removal does not require even pulling the pumpkin cover off. These axles are not retained inside the pumpkin by any lock, C clip or ring.

Are you using TM 9-8014 and following each step starting on page 245, Par. 207?

Look closely at fig. 136 on page 248. You must remove the back plate and the spindle which will allow the axle's joint to come out of the knuckle.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: