Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

M38 Radio Power Cable/Connector
Wanted to buy - C-375/VRC
Battery cut off in motor compartment?
Cross Member Radiator Tabs
WTB M38 distributor breaker plate tabs
Hodakaguy M38 Misc Thread
1950 M38 no reading on the dash amp meter
Transfer Case rebuild issues
Zerks causing trouble.
1952 M38 converting to 12V

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - Do you guys see any thing of value here....cheap M38a1...
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Do you guys see any thing of value here....cheap M38a1...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
linx310

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 7:13 pm    Post subject: Do you guys see any thing of value here....cheap M38a1... Reply with quote

This is for sale locally in my area for around $450

The owner claims its 95% complete but in pieces. From talking to him via email correspondence I think its closer to 80% complete.

What I do know is missing so far from talking to the owner via email:

Rear Seat
Black Out Light and mount
Top Bows
Transmission

Still waiting to hear back on information about the steering box and steering wheel.

The Engine does not run.

Owner says the only part that would need to be replaced on the body because of rust is a few square feet which looks to me is on the driver side of the tub.

From the looks of it this could have be an ex air-force M38a1. Notice the blue paint in some places that would require a dis-assembly to get complete coverage, some thing Bubba usually does not do.

The reason I am posting this here is because I am on the fence with its value. The jeep looks to have pretty good potential for a frame off rebuild due to the fact it looks like Bubba didn't do to many mods or cut away much of the body.

So what do you guys think? Is it worth the $450 asking price to save it from the scrapper?

Any parts any of you guys could use?

Sorry for the editing but as I have posted before; to keep the band width use down and thus the cost of operating the web site down we must try to limit photo posting sizes to less than 150K each. The photos that were above were almost all over 500K each. I reloaded the original full size photos to linx310's personal www.willysmjeeps.com photo album on our photo album page and you can view all of these in their full size there.

http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=album165&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php

Thanks for your help keeping the web site costs down.

Wes K
idiocrates

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple of months ago I'd have been all over that tool box.....but I've already done the modified cj-5 tool box thing. Those front fenders are way lot better then mine....so if you do decide to part with them please let me know. Frames pretty rough to the point of missing one of the tub mounts on the passengers side. Any front seat frames available....I need both sides. And omg.....had I seen that cb mike clip on the dask earlier.....I'd been sold lock, stock and barrel.

'?? - M38A-1
wilfreeman

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Radiator and gas tank? It could be restored at great expense - would be well worth it for parts, whether you save it for parts to build another 'a1, or sell them. Also, its the wiring harness included?
'51 USMC M100 trailer, '54 M100 trailer, '90 M101a1 trailer
Http://wilfreeman.wordpress.com (M38a1 build blog)
http://m38a1usmc.wordpress.com (USMC M38a1 rebuild blog)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
skyjeep50

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No data plates? Does it have a title? Hole-y tub. Lots of rust and you don't know if the engine and/or transfer are good enough to be rebuildable. Parts value only for what is good and that is not much.
STXM38A1

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen his San Marcos Craig"s List ad for some time and received some of the pictures you posted. Hadn't seen the engine or XFER pictures before, though. If you purchase for parts, let me know. I might be interested in a couple of body parts.

Where in Texas are you located?

Thanks,

PHOTO ALBUM:
http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=album33&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
linx310

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Where in Texas are you located?

Kyle/San Marcos area...
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a suggestion, with Big states like Texas you can add the nearest city to your profile signature or a zip code.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
53a1

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One problem I see is someone left the engine and trans opened up and exposed to the elements so they may be rusted inside. It's no fun driving out rusted pistons. Tub needs major work but someone with the skills can probably fix it. I would offer a couple hundred and see what happens.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: