Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

Compression testing results.
Rear brake cyclinder compatability
T90 inspection before action?
M38 Radio Power Cable/Connector
Wanted to buy - C-375/VRC
Battery cut off in motor compartment?
Cross Member Radiator Tabs
WTB M38 distributor breaker plate tabs
Hodakaguy M38 Misc Thread
1950 M38 no reading on the dash amp meter

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - Found very early M38
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Found very early M38

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DFoley

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 11:20 am    Post subject: Found very early M38 Reply with quote

I just found what may be the the 96th M38. It appears to be in fair to good condition. It has an M38 engine (don't know if it is the original engine) and the owner said it "runs fine." He uses it several times a year in city parades. I unforcefully inquired as to whether the jeep was for sale...he indicated no and I left it at that. After a brief discussion with him about the jeep he told me it was a "1953" year model. It's obvious that he does not know a great deal about the history of this model, and for now I have not corrected him.

Do you think it is worth more aggressively trying to purchase this jeep? Or should I "try to take him under my wing" and educate him about his jeep and try to get him to restore it to the best of his abilities. He manages a tractor repair shop so he has some technical abilities (definitely more than me).

https://picasaweb.google.com/Dan.Foley3/96thM38?authuser=0&feat=directlink
RICKG

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 12:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Found very early M38 Reply with quote

DFoley wrote:

Do you think it is worth more aggressively trying to purchase this jeep?

I have a close pal that has a restorable 3-B rusting away on his farm.
In fact i only realized it was there after he moved some old equipment
to sell as scrap. He knows i have the Willys disease but never mentioned
the 3-B. When i asked about him selling it he was lukewarm at best.
When gently proded he dug his heels in like a mule in a sulk. I had
to back away. I still see the 3-B and it looks worse for wear every time i see it (it lives outdoors). He knows im interested and sees me checking it
out when i'm at his place-but we never speak about our prior conversation. Maybe someday he'll offer it up-you never know..
whydahdvr

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks nice but you never know with some folks. The more someone else is interested in something that they have, the more they want to hold onto it and play with it - kind of like school kids on the playground. It's always worth having the conversation though. See where it gets you, I think.
Phil4280

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have found in the past one path is friend them, show genuine interest in the vehicle,Show them photos of what you have restored, may be offer them help with it it some way and finaly leave them you details and say that if they ever consider parting with it some day would they kindly offer you 1st option on it.

Phil...
Latest addition M38A1 date e
Ryan_Miller
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am with Phil. I would friend him and provide information whenever possible on M38 jeeps.
Education is a good tool that may get him interested int doing more with it or at the least help him to understand that he should not throw away parts that are original and chop it up to add a roll bar or something.

Was it still 24V?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: