Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

1950 M38 no reading on the dash amp meter
Transfer Case rebuild issues
Zerks causing trouble.
1952 M38 converting to 12V
M38A1 Slave Bucket location
M274 A3 Mule For Sale
flywheel advice
conversion from a 12 volt system back to a 24 volt system
M151 A2 + M416 Trailer For Sale
M38 ignition points condensor

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - M38A1 Wire Harness Routing On Frame
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

M38A1 Wire Harness Routing On Frame

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
madmike

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 5:18 pm    Post subject: M38A1 Wire Harness Routing On Frame Reply with quote

I am ready to reinstall the wire harness on the frame before mounting the tub and searched all my pictures and the manuals but cannot find how it was routed in the frame. I searched my memory bank and there was nothing there either. Embarassed I have good pictures after the harness comes out of the frame and up the drivers side of the tub.

Would anyone know where the rear harness enters the frame ( i.e., in front of the master cylinder or steering box or behind them) and if it goes thru the frame or always stays inside the frame rail held on by clips but going around the frame boxing and cross frame? Also when the rear harness branches off, does it route thru the holes in the frame rails or stay in place clipped underneath?

My old harness is being replaced with a new one but many of the clips broke off when removed and I cannot determine the old position. BYW, the new harness would/will not route thru some of the rear frame areas due to a pair of multiple wiring connectors that are about the size of a cigarette package, unlike the smaller round connectors on the old harness. These are not possible to separate on either harness. Not a problem if the wiring routes around the cross supports though.

Help appreciated as always. Getting closer to mounting the tub.

Mike
madmike

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am starting to drop way down the list here without an answer. Could someone please, please look under their M38A1 and tell me how the wires are routed from front to rear? I really would like to know before I do it wrong. Would really appreciate it.

Mike
53a1

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if this is correct but this is how my A1 came when I got it. The Jeep was very original when I got it so the wiring probably was also.

madmike

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you 53A1. What your picture tells me is that I cannot put the wire harness in until after I put the tub back on because the rear harness goes thru one of the tub openings. That is something I could not see in my pictures. If you still have access to the frame would it be possible to tell me how the rear harness is routed? I am particularly interested in how it travels along the frame and where it splits to the lights.

If you are unable maybe someone else could chime in. I may go over to the G and ask this same question but you have just answered a major part. I will wait until the tub is back on to complete this portion of the restoration.

I painted the bottom of the tub yesterday. By laying it upside down on tarps it was much easier to deal with. Plan to hit it with some undercoating today.

Mike
53a1

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My harness has been removed for a few years now but as I recall it ran along the bottom inside of the frame fastened by the clips. It then made 90 degree turn at the bumper and two wires poked out to the LHS rear light and a few went to the trailer plug. It then continued on to the RHS rear lights. As I recall the harness clipped to the upper inside cross member. I'll see if I took a picture of this when I'm at home.

Last edited by 53a1 on Fri Jun 29, 2012 12:23 pm; edited 2 times in total
madmike

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again. I finally found a picture in the manual which may answer part of my question. The routing appears to go around the cross members rather than thru them. I think this is the same for the tail lights. Under the frame and bumpers enroute to the lights rather than thru the frame holes. I will need to buy a bunch of clips to hold the harness to the frame as most of mine broke off when I took the harness out. If you find pictures and my assumption is incorrect please advise.

I still can't believe I did not take pictures of the harness. I have everything else documented but this one is a real "Doh". My photographer (aka, wife) must have been visiting her mother.

Mike
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The harness is routed very similar to the M38 from the master cylinder aft using the same clips.

This is the best manual shot of the complete firewall.

I put this together a few years ago. You can number your frame clamps and then view the other several hundred photos in my album and other's to see frame shots of M38A1's and locate each clamp position.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
madmike

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again Wes. This is what I need except for the actual routing around cross frame members which I should be able to see by reviewing the pictures you mention. I overlooked the possibility that someone would have posted pictures they took of the harness installed. But I overlook a lot of things these days.

Mike
colmustard

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

how would I get to or find the album of photo's of the wire harness routing that WesK mentions? I am now ready to put my harness back on my M38A1
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At the top of this page you will see:

Quote:
Home · · Forums · · Articles · · Downloads · · Photo Gallery

Click on "Photo Gallery" then review the member's albums with M38A1 photos.

My album with hundreds of technical photos is the second album.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
4x4M38

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris has some useful photos on page 3 of his photo album.
Specifically how the molded junctions at the rear are routed:

http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=sinrisnekaf&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php&page=3
http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=album372&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: