Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

Compression testing results.
Rear brake cyclinder compatability
T90 inspection before action?
M38 Radio Power Cable/Connector
Wanted to buy - C-375/VRC
Battery cut off in motor compartment?
Cross Member Radiator Tabs
WTB M38 distributor breaker plate tabs
Hodakaguy M38 Misc Thread
1950 M38 no reading on the dash amp meter

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - Fuel Problem
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fuel Problem

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SCJeep

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:46 am    Post subject: Fuel Problem Reply with quote

Help! I am having some fuel delivery and carb issues. I recently had my M38 go down while driving when the fuel pump failed. It acted like it had no fuel, none in the bowl. Easy enough, I bought a fuel pump rebuild kit and went through it, the fuel diaphragm was destroyed from alcohol. FYI my M38 is stock with the correct military pump. Rebuild went fine put everything back together, Jeep runs. It had a little studder at idle that I thought was probably a piece of debris in the idle circuit so I tore the carb apart to check it, didnt really find anything. Put it back together drive it, studder improves but not 100%. Drove it like 5-10 miles last night to get it really warmed up and adjusted the idle circuit. Realized at that point I had not cleaned the screen on the carb inlet. Took it apart, lots of rubber debris from failed diaphragm. Cleaned and replaced. Ran jeep again and it seemed fine. Drive the Jeep this morning to work, it is ~8 miles, long enough to get fully heated up, etc. Seemed to run fine, still very minor skip or studder at idle, but otherwise no issues. Go to the Jeep at lunch to run get a quick bite. Starts up fine, runs fine. Get ~ 1-2 miles down the road and it dies like it has no fuel... very similar to when the fuel pump went out. I dragged it back to the garage at work and have not had a chance to tear open the top half of the carb to see if there is fuel in there.
Anyone have any guidance. Kinda perplexed since I drove it this morning without issue. Things to note are it was cool last night, but the engine was warmed up, so conditions should have been similar. Today the ambient air is 85 degrees F, but the Jeep was only run for ~ 5-10 minutes. And I park in a garage so the Jeep was not parked in the direct heat or anything.
wilfreeman

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just started having a similar problem yesterday. I took my first extended length drive (about 15 miles), came home and parked the jeep in front of the shop. About an hour later a storm came up and I ran back outside to move her inside. She wouldn't start, even after cranking for 10-15 seconds and closing/opening the choke. After I sprayed starting fluid in the crossover tube and cranked for an additional 10 seconds she started up.

Today, I took her for about a 5 mile drive on the road, then went to the field for a slow drive and ran out of gas (I know the gauge isn't right now! - glad I wasn't on the road). After walking through the woods to my house to get my truck and the gas can, she started right up with 5 gal in the tank. I drove back to the house and the kids wanted to go for a ride, so I loaded them up and drove back to the field for a slow ride - about 2 miles and 15 minutes long. Upon pulling up to the shop and backing in, she cut off. I tried to restart, but it was a no go. There was gas in the clear fuel filter after the pump (before the carb). I didn't feel like troubleshooting this afternoon, so I closed the shop and went inside.

I'm not looking for advice on mine, because I don't want to hyjack your thread, and I haven't even tried troublshooting mine yet - just saying I'm kinda having the same problem as you.
'51 USMC M100 trailer, '54 M100 trailer, '90 M101a1 trailer
Http://wilfreeman.wordpress.com (M38a1 build blog)
http://m38a1usmc.wordpress.com (USMC M38a1 rebuild blog)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Cacti_Ken

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scjeep, maybe some of the fuel pump trash might have got in the carburetor?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: