Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

Battery cut off in motor compartment?
Cross Member Radiator Tabs
WTB M38 distributor breaker plate tabs
Hodakaguy M38 Misc Thread
1950 M38 no reading on the dash amp meter
Transfer Case rebuild issues
Zerks causing trouble.
1952 M38 converting to 12V
M38A1 Slave Bucket location
M274 A3 Mule For Sale

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - Help w/My 1953 M38A1
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Help w/My 1953 M38A1

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KSOIFVET

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 8:27 pm    Post subject: Help w/My 1953 M38A1 Reply with quote

I'm new to this site but I heard it's a great place for support with my Jeep. Here's my issue, My M38A1 one day just died, and when I restarted it, it was chugging and coughing, sputtering and backfiring. So I replaced the plugs & wires, the wires need replaced. I even had the Carb. overhauled, and when I went to start it the other day. Still coughing and backfiring, so I was thinking that maybe there was water in the fuel. I drained the fuel and I was shocked when I noticed the bottom of the tank was covered with rust. I ended up removing the fuel lines and replacing them. I'm getting the tank cleaned out but I'm wondering if there's anything else I should check? Any suggestions welcome.

Chris Somers
Operation Iraqi Freedom Vet
Combat Wounded
1953 M38A1
Bob_C
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome!

It couldn't hurt to rebuild the fuel / vac pump as well.

Also - If the diaphram has a small leak and leaks fuel into the engine, it might have leaked water. If water got onto the lobe on the camshaft, slightly corroded it, and the engine was going away at any significant RPM, it could spell disaster -- as only the outer surfaces of the camshaft are hardened. If it ate through that, it will eat the rest of the lobe that is not hardened like a knife goes through butter.

This is pretty unlikely I'd imagine, but it couldn't hurt to rebuild it. Besides, when was the last time it was rebuilt?

I'm curious -- how long was it sitting? Also, have any ideas how water got in there in the first place (if condensation over time isnt the answer)?
m38olddog

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to have you on board Chris. As usual, Bob makes some good points. Can you see any evidence of gas (or water) in the engine oil? Otherwise, might as well hook up the cleaned-out tank and new lines and give that a try first to see if water in the gas was the culprit. And, as Bob says, a fuel pump rebuild is a good idea if it hasn't been done in the last few years. Keep us posted. Very Happy

Dave
M38A1 2/55, MD81433, U.S. ARMY 2A3514
M100 Dunbar Kapple, ?/51, #15122
KSOIFVET

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no idea when the last time anything on this jeep was rebuilt. I got this jeep about a year ago. She sat longer than I had hoped for but I think water was a factor due to condensation over time. I plan on getting an F-Head rebuild for it at some point. JUst money is the issue right now, and I would like her to run, since it's be 90 degrees out and sunny!
Kansas Air National Guard
Operation Iraqi Freedom Veteran
Combat Wounded, USA
1953 M38A1
~Until You Return Home Safely Daniel~
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The cheapest and smartest investment you can make is getting the manuals for your jeep. They are only $20 on CD and cover the entire Willys Military Jeep line. There you will find very comprehensive troubleshooting guides that when used properly will get to the point of your problem without you having spent hundreds o dollars fixing things and replacing things that are not broke and/or are not causing your problem.

http://www.military-media.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=MMI&Product_Code=JEEPSCD&Category_Code=MVMOC
http://www.portrayal.com/

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
Ryan_Miller
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Listen to these guys as they have probably been there before.

The fuel/vacuum pump diaphrams can leak and the newer fuels can cause problems. there are new diaphram kits to combat this problem.

also don't forget the ignition system (distributor, rotor, cap, points, coil) as these also need maintinance to run effectively.

Wes is right, get the manuals! Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: