Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

Transfer Case rebuild issues
Zerks causing trouble.
1952 M38 converting to 12V
M38A1 Slave Bucket location
M274 A3 Mule For Sale
flywheel advice
conversion from a 12 volt system back to a 24 volt system
M151 A2 + M416 Trailer For Sale
M38 ignition points condensor
TM9-8015-1 Clarification

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - I'm still have speedometer problems
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I'm still have speedometer problems

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Deadguy

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:59 pm    Post subject: I'm still have speedometer problems Reply with quote

I pulled the speedometer drive gear. My mechanic buddy with a lift who put in the new transfercase said the tip of the drive gear broke off, and he spent forever fishing it out. My speedometer is reading high, I think I have a NOS gauge, I have the rear 5:38 axles, so I was thinking maybe it was that sheered off tip that made the difference? I got one from John at Midwest Military. His is too short, and he doesn't have the longer one. I called my mechanic buddy, and he thinks it might be the gyro in the gauge, he says that tip shouldn't make a difference. Any opinions?

Marine core reinforced rear bumper, military transistorized turn signal upgrade, arctic heater, 11" drum brakes, 200L PTO winch, Huffy overdrive, deep water fording kit, RT 68 vehicle mounted radio, Trac Locs front and rear.
www.danhenk.com
idiocrates

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's sure a lot different then the one I found in the transfer case in my a1. Here's what it looked like....
[img]
P1010076 by idiocrates, on Flickr[/img]

Have you verified that the two gears that make up the speedometer drive are properly matched?

'?? - M38A-1
Deadguy

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John says I have a later style speedometer drive gear. It looks like you have the shorter version John sent me. I think the main difference, is that the longer one is to accommodate the waterproof sleeve, the thing on the far right in my hand
Marine core reinforced rear bumper, military transistorized turn signal upgrade, arctic heater, 11" drum brakes, 200L PTO winch, Huffy overdrive, deep water fording kit, RT 68 vehicle mounted radio, Trac Locs front and rear.
www.danhenk.com
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's make a few things a bit more clear.

The gears in Ed's photo are DRIVEN gears. The speedo drive gear is the fatter short gear in John's photo. The correct driven gears will have 15 teeth. The correct drive gear has 4 teeth. If you have these matched correctly and the speedo reads high with stock 5:38 rear axle and 700-16 tires then the speedo is at fault.

The early M38 used a different length driven gear, sleeve and flex cab le assembly then the later M38. The switch occurs at MC44029. The late M38 and all M38A1's used the the other lengths.

If Midwest sent you a 8328480 (WO# 806718) driven gear then you now have the correct gear. The speedo flex drive cable should be 56 3/4" long.

All of these parts are listed on pages 372 & 373 of the M38A1 ORD 9.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
Deadguy

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wes, I sent John the driven gear back. Let me make sure I'm going with the correct assumptions. The driven gear is 15 teeth. The one inside the transfer case (which i haven't removed) is actually 4 teeth. Is the longer shaft one I have actually not correct? Does the sheered off end tip make any difference?
www.danhenk.com
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The long and the short will do the same job in either jeep. The key is to match them with the correct sleeve (the threaded retainer) and the correct length flex cable.

Yes the small pilot tip is needed to keep the gear supported in proper alignment with the drive gear. Running one with a broken pilot tip will result in nasty gear wear and risk jamming of the gear which will snap the flex cable.

Measure your flex cable length. The 56 3/4" cable is late M38 & all M38A1 and is used with the long shaft SW# 448361 and the 54 1/2" cable is early M38 used with the early short shaft.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
Deadguy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Wes. I'm pulling it right now. I haven't driven the vehicle too much, you think it's already caused gear wear?
www.danhenk.com
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just inspect the drive gear with a a good light and the transfer in 2 high and one rear wheel off the floor so you can rotate the gear.

Deadguy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it fine to run it without that driven gear? I'll have one in like two weeks
www.danhenk.com
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll need something in that sleeve to keep the gear oil in the transfer.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: