Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

Battery cut off in motor compartment?
Cross Member Radiator Tabs
WTB M38 distributor breaker plate tabs
Hodakaguy M38 Misc Thread
1950 M38 no reading on the dash amp meter
Transfer Case rebuild issues
Zerks causing trouble.
1952 M38 converting to 12V
M38A1 Slave Bucket location
M274 A3 Mule For Sale

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - Update for my 1953 M38A1
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Update for my 1953 M38A1

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KSOIFVET

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 6:43 pm    Post subject: Update for my 1953 M38A1 Reply with quote

I got my M38A1 Running today and I can drive her around, but she sputters & backfires quite a bit. I've tried adjusting the carb., what else should I try?
Kansas Air National Guard
Operation Iraqi Freedom Veteran
Combat Wounded, USA
1953 M38A1
~Until You Return Home Safely Daniel~
OKCM38CDN

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check the timing... and fuel flow...
KSOIFVET

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what's the easiest way to check timing & flow?
Kansas Air National Guard
Operation Iraqi Freedom Veteran
Combat Wounded, USA
1953 M38A1
~Until You Return Home Safely Daniel~
Ryan_Miller
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out the Downloads section for the M38A1 engine and under that topic there is two articles on how to time your engine.

Also here are a few excerpts from earlier discussions.

Timing adapter from Felix Sasso:

The photo shows a contrption that works very well when using a regular 12 Volts induction timing light.
The red cable is the coil to distributor cable of a Ford 289 engine. The end with the pin and the electric tape goes into the M38 spark plug; the opposite end fits in the spring and rubber jacket end of the M-38 spark plug cable.
Next posting show the installation.

Another note from Felix, Hal and Wes about engine timing:

Finally I was able to check the timing of “The Beast” and found out it is about – 5 degrees from TDC so is about 10 degrees retarded from specifications.
The problem is that my distributor is as far as it can go in the clockwise direction. The fitting of the distributor vent line hits the temperature sending unit, and the groove in the sector that looks the timing of the distributor is at its limit.
When I got this car the distributor was loose because somebody was trying to start it so I set at TDC and inserted the distributor and “the Beast” started.
How do I fix this problem? Do I have to remove the pump and rotate it 1 tooth? So I can set back #1 30 degrees and then bring back the distributor 30 degrees so I can have full adjustment?
The picture it shows the actual set up of distributor timing and spark plug cables. One guy suggested moving the wires in the distributor one notch in the clockwise direction and then bringing back the distributor to match #1. I do not think this is going to work. Because moving the cables will rotate 90 degrees # 1 and I would only be able to come back 30 degrees.
Any ideas that would not require to remove the oil pump? Number 1 wire is about 5 o' clock

Felix,

I had same problem, and I am sorry to say your gonna need to rotate the oil pump... Unless someone knows of another way to do it...

Also unless I am wrong #1 should be about 7 o'clock... Looking at the schematic drawing in TM 9-8012, Fig 54; the #1 plug wire should be near the input wire to the distributor.

Hope this helps...
Hal

Felix,
Now everyone can see why I try to convince folks to set the oil pump correctly rather than just match wires to where #1 falls when the piston is TDC. In the majority of cases the folks luck out and have room. In your case you'll just have to bite the bullet. Short of machining new keyway in the crank and dowell holes in the cam and it's gear the only way to get it right is to properly index the pump. Using the finger in the plug hole to determine TDC with number one on compression will get you close to TDC but can easily leave you 2 or more degrees off either way. Setting your oil pump to that position may or may not get you in the ball park. Using a home made wiggle tool to show the piston movement when inserted in the plug hole will be more accurate. The most accurate way is to pull the front cover and align the valve/cam timing marks with #1 TDC on compression.

Wes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: