Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

M38 Radio Power Cable/Connector
Wanted to buy - C-375/VRC
Battery cut off in motor compartment?
Cross Member Radiator Tabs
WTB M38 distributor breaker plate tabs
Hodakaguy M38 Misc Thread
1950 M38 no reading on the dash amp meter
Transfer Case rebuild issues
Zerks causing trouble.
1952 M38 converting to 12V

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - M38a1 stay cable
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

M38a1 stay cable

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
danrothe2001

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 8:53 pm    Post subject: M38a1 stay cable Reply with quote

Doing a frame off on a 1953 M38A1 and added an NOS stay cable as the original one was absent. I have searched the forums and the manuals and I cannot find the installation procedure. I threaded a nut all the way on and then slipped it through the bellhousing and tightened up the second one to clamp the dust shield and bellhousing together but the cable was loose. If I leave the first nut off and just slip it through, I can get the cable tight but I can just keep cranking on the nut and pulling the engine back. Maybe my cable is the wrong length? Please help.

Dan Rothe
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are two different cables. Willys 649706 (Ord # 7372548) early M38 and Willys 804488 (Ord # 8328043) late M38 and M38A1. You are suppose to use two nuts.

It is adjusted by leaving the aft nut as far aft as possible then install the forward nut and tighten until you can only move the center of the cable with your thumb pressure up and down about 1/2"

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
danrothe2001

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Wes. I thought that is how it should go. That means mine is too long or I need to chase some more threads on it. Do you or anyone else know the overall length it should be? Thanks.

Dan
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to have a couple of photos of them with compared lengths but I can't see to locate them.

Is your bracket on the cross member bent forward a bit?

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
danrothe2001

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not noticeably. It looks pretty straight and square. I ran the nut down and put it back in and it is about 3/4 inch too long so it would have to be bent a lot. Cable length is 15 1/2 inches overall, 11 5/8 from head of bolt and 3 7/8 bolt length. Also if I run the first nut all the way down and then slide it through the bellhousing there is maybe 3/4 inch coming out the other side. Not much adjustment. Pictures that I see show more sticking out. Hope some of this info helps. I would just get another cable but I would like to make sure that this one is wrong first.

Dan
danrothe2001

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forget to mention that the motor was a civy unit but mounts have been converted back to mil spec. Measuring from the back of the bellhousing where the bolt goes to where the ball seats is 12 inches. I believe that the trans and bellhousing are mil spec.

Dan
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just get with the vendors tomorrow and ask them to measure what they have on the shelf. If they have a shorter one buy it. The one you have may be for the CJ5/6 with the much longer T98 4 spd tranny or for a V-6 Dauntless installation.

A simple right now solution would be to add a bushing ahead of the ball as spacer. A 1" brass bushing with an ID slightly larger than the swaged part of the cable shaft then slide it over the cable to the ball and slip both the ball and bushing behind the tab on the crossmember. Then a couple twists of lockwire to keep it from popping up and out of the slot.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: