Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

Wiper motor...which is the correct one?
Lead additive, one more question.
M31C mount with or without replica weapon
Backfire and Hesitation
Wanted: Steering column and shaft for M38-1952, or late CJ2A
2024 CT. MILITARY VEHICLE SHOW AND FLEA MARKET- JUNE 15,2024
Brake Line
How to link full size photos in posts
Clutch release bearing support cast tab for return spring
T90 case replacement required?

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - Flat towing
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Flat towing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  

For short tows keep the transfer case in
HIGH
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Neutral (N)
100%
 100%  [ 10 ]
Total Votes : 10

cabinfever

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 7:08 am    Post subject: Flat towing Reply with quote

I have been getting conflicting advice on flat towing my M38A1. Some say to keep the transfer case in neutral (N) and other say to keep in HIGH. What say you?

Of course, the manual tranny stays in neutral and the front drive in "Out."

Only planning to tow maybe 40 miles one-way at ~50 mph, to parades, shows, and memorial services.
whydahdvr

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I throw my M38 up on a UHaul 6x12 open utility trailer and pull it up to 100 miles or more. The trailer can handle the weight, is cheap, and saves wear and tear on the jeep.
This was a suggestion I got from an old friend who's had these and MB jeeps all his life and worked in construction. It has worked out well.
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1-The best arrangement for flat towing is 4 free wheeling hubs and the rest is not important. Yes the rear axle can be modified for locking hubs.

2-Another very safe method is to disconnect the drive shafts at the axle pinions.

3-Lockout hubs front and disconnect rear drive shaft at axle pinion.

(1, 2 & 3 would allow unlimited traveling and only modest speeds up to 70.)

4-Lockout hubs front , tranny in neutral and transfer in neutral.

5-Stock hubs front, tranny in neutral and transfer in neutral.

(4 & 5 will allow safe hauling in the 300-400 mile range at speeds not above 60.)

I have heard several off the wall explanations that try to substantiate leaving the transfer in high. I disagree because with the transfer in high you will also be turning the tranny output shaft without benefit of splash oil lube from the rest of the tranny gears.

Keep in mind that all gear boxes are designed to apply the power from the engine to the tire. When you apply the turning power to the tire and work your way back to the engine you will induce abnormal wear on parts.

Thus my rule has always been above 300 miles use a trailer and if speeds are intended to be 70 or more use a trailer.

Additional precautions when flat towing are:

1-secure the steering wheel allowing only 20 degrees or so of travel.

2-Make darn sure the tow bar is higher at the tow vehicle's hitch then it is at the jeep's bumper.

3-Make darn sure wheel bearings are well lubed and in good shape.

4-Make sure the steering linkage does not have excessive play. Excess slop will have the jeep trying to change lanes behind you above 45 MPH.

6-Use a "Vehicle in Tow" sign on the back of the jeep. There's a ton of inexperienced and ignorant drivers out there that will not notice the tow vehicle and will tailgate the jeep real close.

7-If the jeep's rear lights cannot be hooked to the trailer light system of the tow vehicle because of different voltages then be sure to use the clamp-on or magnet mount trailering lights.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
cabinfever

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Wes, for your thorough reply!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: