Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

Cross Member Radiator Tabs
Cross Member Radiator Tabs
WTB M38 distributor breaker plate tabs
Hodakaguy M38 Misc Thread
1950 M38 no reading on the dash amp meter
Transfer Case rebuild issues
Zerks causing trouble.
1952 M38 converting to 12V
M38A1 Slave Bucket location
M274 A3 Mule For Sale

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - Hawkshadow's '52 M38CDN
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hawkshadow's '52 M38CDN
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Jeep Project Threads
View previous topic :: View next topic  
4x4M38

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wes,
I think this is a great idea.

Any chance the rivet counters would look hard for that stuff if tucked under the tool box, fuel tank and top of floor under same?

I know they'd see it on the floorboards and the bottom of the tub, but if one could stick it in those places the sun doesn't shine but rust grows...

Brian
http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=album372&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are restoring factory class you need to go to the MVPA web site and pose your question to their judging staff. Otherwise motor pool class or driver shouldn't make any difference.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
Hawkshadow

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes a little creativity is required during these projects... Like when you removed the exhaust system in one piece after the engine and then re-installed the engine first.

Onto mounting the radiator and hoses. As opposed to the 2 piece lower assembly listed from some jeep suppliers I highly suggest Napa #7728. a perfect fit, just trim to length. I also went with the flexible hose FF197 for the upper as opposed to a piece of straight hose.

Here she is basking in the fall sunshine patiently waiting for the body.

Skipping over the dozen or so times that the body went on and off as we marked and drilled mounting holes... here she is! The new body lined up and mounted quite well, lining up better than some of the originals I've seen. The underside of the tub and typical problem spots such as in the taillight housings, toolbox, battery box, and under the gas tank have all been protected with colour-matched linex as well.

M38 CDN
52-30718
Hawkshadow

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frigid weather certainly slows down the progress on this type of project, but it's important to keep busy. So, I spent a couple of hours with calipers and an exacto knife making up some gaskets for the gas tank.

I spent a while making out measurements and did a trial run with cardboard before moving on to gasket material.

2 practice units complete. It was quite a pleasant surprise to find that you can make the sending unit gasket from the extra inside of the pickup gasket!

A little while later, patience pays off and there is 2 perfectly matched gaskets.

End Measurements:
Pickup
Diameter: 4.5"
Gasket Width: .9"
Inner opening Diameter: 3.6"

Sending Unit
Diameter: 2.5"
Gasket Width: .9"
Inner Opening Diameter: 1.6"

Next I moved on to converting the Packard connector on the sending unit to a Douglas connector. Not sure if this is the best method, all input is welcome!

Prepare parts

Remove Packard setup

This is where I am unsure if this was the best method and am wondering if anyone else has any other input. I attempted to place the Douglas connector straight onto the unit but there was a lot of play and the pin on the unit was unsecure. I replaced the washer and nut that came on the unit.

With the nut and washer on the pin the rubber piece was a little too long.

Rubber trimmed to size

Assembled unit with Douglas connector installed.

Thoughts on this setup? I have never attempted to convert Packard to Douglas before, and am thinking that I may be doing so again especially if I pick up some of those new Klixon circuit breakers.

M38 CDN
52-30718
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the housing of the sender is metal then you seem to be missing something to insulate the + 24V pin from the sender case. Even if there is a grommet filling the hole in the case where the pin passes thru you still have the washer touching the case.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
Hawkshadow

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great point Wes! Thanks! I'm thinking I'll put a rubber washer as the first thing out from the body which is made of stainless steel. I'm also thinking about moving the nut to the inside of the connector to make it a little more secure. Would that affect the connection in any foreseeable way?

M38 CDN
52-30718
RICKG

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hawkshadow wrote:
So, I spent a couple of hours with calipers and an exacto knife making up some gaskets for the gas tank.

Not to "Butt-inski" here but a single hole paper punch tool is the ticket for the gasket screw holes. Quick and clean.. works for me.

BTW the progress you're making is remarkable Cool
Hawkshadow

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Rick. This has certainly been an exciting and informative labour of love over the past few years. I know the big days of being able to start and drive are coming soon and the excitement is growing! I greatly appreciate all of the advice that I've received along the way.

I need to get a hole punch for future gaskets. I carefully used a drill bit for this one and having a hole punch would've made it much easier.

M38 CDN
52-30718
Xamon

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would think a leather punch, with it's different sizes would be of more utility.
Hawkshadow

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xamon, thanks for the great idea! I picked one up from Tandy Leather for around $20 that I'm sure will come in handy.

For the level sending unit, I'm at a bit of an impasse.

I tried a setup like this, only to find:
A) that the pin isn't secured to the housing and will push into the housing when you try to put on the rubber piece and
B) even when this setup is installed, it doesn't leave enough of the pin exposed to connect the connector.

I tried a smaller O-ring only to arrive at the same conclusion - can't get it seated well, and even if it were fully seated, not enough of the pin is exposed.

Which lead me back to...

The original setup. I am now wondering about making this one connection into a Packard style.

Thoughts? Has anyone come across this before?

I'll also post the topic in the technical section to see if others have had the same experience or have any additional thoughts.

M38 CDN
52-30718
4x4M38

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That exhaust pipe problem reminds me of the time I installed headers on a 1978 Firebird.................................

Crying or Very sad
http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=album372&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
4x4M38

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've made the screw/bolt holes in the templates as well as
reasonably thin gasket material by laying the material over
the flange and tapping around the hole ring with the round end
of a ball pein hammer. Once you find a hole concentrate there.
Tap lightly. If done right and depending on the squareness of the holes they will come out as good as punched holes.
Hawkshadow

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many small tasks keep the project moving!

Cleaned out the holes with a tap

All mounted in

To solve the Douglas / Packard issue, I purchased a jumper from Brian Asbury to do the trick.

Time to freshen up the gauge cluster

I found blue magic metal polish to work quite well. Used in the similar method as boot polish - a little polish, a little water, little circles.

Much clearer glass.

A bit of paint and it's looking good!

M38 CDN
52-30718
4x4M38

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Te me how you reattached the Packard connector to your sender
pin. Mine is gone and the pin just wiggles around.

Also, you might check placement of your gauges. Nice job
on the cluster!
Hawkshadow

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Brian,

The parts come off in sequence and re-attached with no problem. The threaded pin holds it all together with a nut and washer. The post from 5 Jan and the 5th picture down is a good illustration.

M38 CDN
52-30718
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Jeep Project Threads All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 5 of 10

Jump to: