Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

WTB M38 distributor breaker plate tabs
Hodakaguy M38 Misc Thread
1950 M38 no reading on the dash amp meter
Transfer Case rebuild issues
Zerks causing trouble.
1952 M38 converting to 12V
M38A1 Slave Bucket location
M274 A3 Mule For Sale
flywheel advice
conversion from a 12 volt system back to a 24 volt system

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - Mystery starter
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mystery starter

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bretto

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:05 am    Post subject: Mystery starter Reply with quote

When I purchased my M38 it had already been converted to 12V and at this time I have no plans yet on going back to 24V. So I am playing wth non-stock equip. With that, I have been trying to resolve a issue with the starter. It tends to act like its weak and will stall at times trying to start the engine. And this is right from the go on a cold engine. I have good grounds and + contacts. I even went as far to connect some jumper cables to the circuit to add to the path. Eventually I can play with hitting the starter by noticing when its not hitting compression and get it started but its something I would like to fix. I have taken the the whole starter apart, cleaned everything, new bushings at both the rear of the starter and in the bellhouse. Everything moves good.

My dilema is that I and no-one seems to know what this starter is. It would a very helpful to know in order to get parts. I am hoping it might catch someone's eye to ID it. I dont know if what I got here is something someone frankensteined together.
I have chased this goose too long and no dice.
It has a Autolite tag of MDA 4002T 2H
10 tooth pinion
That doesn't get me anywhere trying to do a search. Here some pics:

RICKG

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brett i talked to my starter rebuilder and he looked it up based on the
autolite number you gave me and came up with:
Lester #5531 12V mil use.
That was all he could tell me at the time based on his software.

Haines Auto Elect 280-733-3543 in Twin Falls
(I spoke to Alan)
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The part number for the solenoid switch is SSY4001T, The only MD_series starters I could find were all Chrysler MDB's.

There are several converted listings to a modern reman unit S5531 or just 5531 which points towards a mid 50's or newer military and marine application. That ten tooth pinion is not the best choice for a 124 or 129 tooth ring gear. They tend to damage fine tooth ring gears. They were meant for use on the WWII and early CJ 97 tooth ring gears.

http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?name=Forums&file=posting&mode=reply&t=7613

http://catalogue.alternatorstarter.com/Partdetails.aspx?Part=160-787

[img]http://catalogue.alternatorstarter.com/MakeImage.aspx?pic=160-787&seq=2[/img]

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
Bretto

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow that's it exactly. I notice that site shows its a Prestolite, I assume that is a typo. Not much that I can find on that unit but its a building block. Regarding the ring gear, mine is actually great looking. I have never counted the teeth but if I had to guess, it has a 97 tooth as the engine was a CJ swap and Im betting the prev owner didnt swap flywheels.

Thanks guys this might give me something more to keep on the trail.

Would you happen to maybe know of an after market 12V starter that would bolt into an early bellhouse?

Oh the joys of the unknown.
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Electric Auto Lite, Auto Lite, & Prestolite are all the same. They are shown in their order of evolution to the present day Prestolite. They are not to be confused with Autolite which is a subsidiary of Ford (FoMoCo) and is primarily a spark plug outfit.

The 2H is not part of the model number. It is the prefix to the serial number and it is the part of the serial # that gives the date of manufacture. Which for your starter is Feb 1975. I think you will find that your starter was originally a military industrial engine or powerplant/generator unit starter.

I know of no Auto-Lite or Prestolite 12 volt starters designed for use with the small frame starter bell housings and using the correct for the M38 124 or 129 tooth ring gears. There is an existing 6 volt unit designed for that application and it is an Auto-lite MZ4163 used on the Henry J. It can be rewound for 12 volt ops.

The Military had a MZ4124 12 volt in their MB 12 volt conversion kit in the late 40's but ir was a ten tooth pinion for use with a 97 tooth ring gear.

My Auto-Lite data and manuals only goes up thru about 1970.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
Bretto

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Over the weekend I took a look at my ring gear and was going to take a tooth count but soon realized it looks like its a 97 tooth. It was hard to get in there to measure the thickness but after a few measurements I was able to determine it was 5/8" thick.

wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like you saw this already.

I haven't found a late 70's and up application sheet for your starter yet but here are the service sheets for it from the Prestolite L600 Service manual.

Note 4 suggests Marine use or wet area use was designed into this starter.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: