Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

Wiper motor...which is the correct one?
Lead additive, one more question.
M31C mount with or without replica weapon
Backfire and Hesitation
Wanted: Steering column and shaft for M38-1952, or late CJ2A
2024 CT. MILITARY VEHICLE SHOW AND FLEA MARKET- JUNE 15,2024
Brake Line
How to link full size photos in posts
Clutch release bearing support cast tab for return spring
T90 case replacement required?

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - My YS Carburetor problem
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

My YS Carburetor problem

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cacti_Ken

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:45 am    Post subject: My YS Carburetor problem Reply with quote

Getting back to my carb problem I had in late November.
It was hard to start and keep running.

It finally got warm enough here in the last couple weeks to get in the shop and tinker with it. It was eating my lunch, as I thought that I had cleaned all the ports and crannies in it.

On initial cleaning I didn't remove any plugs, as I was afraid I might ruin or damage something on the body. So I just soaked the pieces real good in carb cleaner and roded the passages with small strand of wire and flushed with carb cleaner spray and compressed air.

After all that it still wouldn't perform correctly. Made sure there weren't any air leaks. Check the pump for proper pressure out.

I had a boss tell me once in my younger years, Ken, "don't ever give up".

I scratched my head and thought about it for awhile and decided I better go ahead and remove some plugs in the body.

I decided to start with the cast iron body because I figured it was prone to rust up inside. I removed all the hardware on it and pulled the copper plug out of it.

Lo and behold there was some blockage in the idle mixture port slot. I used a tiny screw driver to loosen up any particles in the cavity. But it wasn't as clean as it should be.

I decided heck I can't hurt anything so I placed it in the sand blasting cabinet and gave it a few shots with the compressed air and sand. I was using very fine sand. That took care of rest of the rust particles in the cavities.
I''m not afraid to remove plugs now.

I finished washing it out with carb spray and made sure there wasn't any sand in those cavities. Anyway got all the dust out of it. I did have to widen one of the holes in the gasket as it was covering too much of the hole passage.

I don't know what their problem is in making a good gasket
to fit the carburetor holes.

Installed the hardware back on it and mounted it to the rest of the carburetor. And finally back on to the manifold.Adjusted idle mixture screw 1 1/2 turns out. Poured gas in the thru the horn prior to cranking. It took a few times of cranking and running to get the carb bowl full.

Set the idle speed for comfortable idle speed. It was purring good. Let it warm up and readjusted the idle mixture screw for best mixture.

Wow, I thought it ran good before I started having this recent problem.
I'm not exagerating. It is better now with quick acceleration, has better pep, and easy to start. It stays running at low idle with out having to goose it occasionally. Kinda like that CW song..."Boot Scoot Buggy"
Varooom!! Varooom!! LOL!

Now I have another spare I'm working on. The one I broke the screw off in the throttle shaft. I ordered a set of taps and am waiting for it to come in to continuing with the repair.

And the taps just arrived as I'm typing.
I'm outa here.

Ken
RICKG

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good work Ken-these carbs can be tricky little devils!!
Bretto

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GREAT! Good job. I can tell you are a very happy with the results.
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I don't know what their problem is in making a good gasket
to fit the carburetor holes.

Often the gaskets have several different applications and where hole sizes vary they use the size that has no impact on performance in all applications. It's a very common practice.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
Cacti_Ken

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look at the difference in two YS carburetors. The one on the right is the one I got running on the M38 in the last post.

The one on the left is a spare I bought from a individual, hoping to have a good running spare. I put a new kit in it. But it would only run with choke valve closed quite a bit. I took it a part and noticed some difference between it and the one I previously wrote about.
I wonder what kind of mix up I have here with the one on the left.

wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Ken,

The YS637S is a much harder to find and more expensive carb compared to the M38A1's YS950S. It is common to see folks place a M38A1 YS950S main body on a M38 YS637S throttle body.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
DJ

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

" It is common to see folks place a M38A1 YS950S main body on a M38 YS637S throttle body. "

Yup, I bought a "M38 carb" that had the A1 bottom on it. Took the civvy carb off and put the "M38" carb on and the jeep wouldn't run for crap. After much pain and suffering I found the switched bottom. Bought another m38 carb and problem was solved. So 2 carbs made into one wasted 2 carbs!
Cacti_Ken

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Substituting a YS950S main body onto a YS637S throttle body is not suppose to work is it? It hasn't worked for me. And I don't see how it can work when the throat in the 950 is larger than the 637 throttle body flange hole. It would not start from stand still. I had to get pulled to get running. then I had to have the choke 75% closed to get it to stay running. I believe it was getting air into a port in the throttle valve because the main body being larger wasn't sealing the gasket over the X port. The bolts holes will line up perfect, But that's it.
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did not say it works. I have actually seen folks piece them together and try to make them work. Wink

The mismatch of bore size is not a big issue. It is the mismatch of vacuum ports and flow rates that give the problems.

Cacti_Ken

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Wes for clearing that up. I did take it that you were meaning it worked. I'll see if the individual has a remedy for this delema.
Cacti_Ken

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One last question.

My thinking is it won't work, but I would like to know for sure so I don't have to remove the YS637s from the engine and visually compare.

The question: Will the the Horn section of the YS950S work with Lower main body section of the YS637S?
thanks
Ken
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not sure. The part numbers for the horns are not even close. Nor are the part numbers for the horn to bowl gaskets. You don't have to remove the 637S from your engine to find out. Just remove the 637S's air horn and stick your 950S bowl under it right over the engine. Personally I think its a waste of time and money to jury rig a 950S to work on a M38. There will always be a ported vacuum issue with the throttle body vs the bowl and a flow rate issue withe the 950S metering system too high for the M38's fuel needs.

Cacti_Ken

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply Wes, I really don't to jury rig it either.
I think I'll just end up sending the mix match carburetor back.

Ken
DJ

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will they work?? Short answer, no! Mine would run ,barely and idle speed had to be 1500 rpms to half arse run, Iwould send it back if possible.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: