Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

Compression testing results.
Rear brake cyclinder compatability
T90 inspection before action?
M38 Radio Power Cable/Connector
Wanted to buy - C-375/VRC
Battery cut off in motor compartment?
Cross Member Radiator Tabs
WTB M38 distributor breaker plate tabs
Hodakaguy M38 Misc Thread
1950 M38 no reading on the dash amp meter

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - Ventilating system
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ventilating system

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bpenkala

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:57 pm    Post subject: Ventilating system Reply with quote

Working on my m38a1 - I don't plan to do any water fording and none of the ventilating system exists, and I will be using a single action fuel pump so no vacuum. Should I plug all of the places where pipes/tubes would connect or do they need to vent (main concerns are brake master cylinder, fuel tank, and some parts of the engine)? I don't want to leave them open and allow dirt/debris to enter, so if not plugged should they be covered with some kind of filter?
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Always either post the jeep model or add it to your signature in your profile so we can all be on the same page.

Fuel tank, master cylinder and engine crankcase vents need to breath. If you are not going in the lake with the jeep then put an 1/8" pipe plug with a 1/64" hole drilled in it in the lid of the master cylinder. What to do with the fording valve plumbing depends on what model jeep you have. The tank needs a vent at the disconnected vent tube. The late M38A1 tank vent works fine there. I do not see the harm nor the difficulty in maintaining the vent tube from the gas tank to the air cleaner.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
bpenkala

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your help - I'm still on the learning curve for getting what I need advice on. I think I have added my jeep model and year to my profile. There were no identification tags on the vehicle - from what I can tell it is an M38a1 Willys 1953 (at least mostly) - that's what CA DMV registered it as. I am trying to get it running well and safely for the Camp Delta meeting near Sacramento, CA this April. Almost done with replacing brakes, drums, flexible tubing, rusted steel brake lines, master cylinder. New fuel tank (upgraded from a plastic milk jug) and carb rebuild, new military tires and wheels.

Looks like I should just start installing the entire ventilation system - a bit of a challenge since I think it is all gone and have no model to work with. Should I just get a roll of steel brake line (what size) tubing and bag of fittings and flare the ends of the tubing - or will copper tubing be durable enough? Standard brass connectors in some places? I think I have seen some diagrams of the ventilation system and can look those up again. Since I have single action fuel pump how will that complicate the completion of the ventilation system?
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I think I have added my jeep model and year to my profile.

No, you haven't or it would appear at the bottom of the dialog box in each of your posts.

Click on "Profile" near the top of the page. Then scroll down the profile page to the block right after the "Interests" block.
Quote:
Signature:
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit

HTML is ON
BBCode is ON
Smilies are ON

In the empty box to the right of the quoted box I show above enter M38A1 there and your first name if you wish to keep the post you make knowingly friendly.

Download the free PDF copies of our manuals from our download page and if you wish buy paper copies from Portrayal press. The basic manuals you need can be found at: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?name=Downloads&d_op=viewdownload&cid=63

These are free for you to download and please USE THEM. You will find 90% of the answers to your questions in them.

The tubing parts numbers, materials, sizes and lengths are in them.

Print some of the very clear illustrations from them that show all the plumbing for reference. No model needed. Decide how much of the vent system you want to use. Willys at the direction of the Army discontinued most of the underwater fording vent system after early 1953 at serial number MD23359. So you do not need a lot of plumbing nor do you need the fording valves. TM 9-8015-1 M38A1 engine manual has chapter 6 dedicated to the vent/fording/PCV system and has good illustrations.

The parts manual ORD 9 SNL G-758 lists the parts used or not used before and after MD23359. They are clearly marked.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
ecurb_1160

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wesk wrote:
Always either post the jeep model or add it to your signature in your profile so we can all be on the same page.

Fuel tank, master cylinder and engine crankcase vents need to breath. If you are not going in the lake with the jeep then put an 1/8" pipe plug with a 1/64" hole drilled in it in the lid of the master cylinder. What to do with the fording valve plumbing depends on what model jeep you have. The tank needs a vent at the disconnected vent tube. The late M38A1 tank vent works fine there. I do not see the harm nor the difficulty in maintaining the vent tube from the gas tank to the air cleaner.

Wow, never knew about the hole in master cylinder plug,I thought it wasn't supposed to get air? Without the hole what happens? Mine is plugged with no hole, I'll have to change that. Thanks,Wes
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The same thing happens to the brake fluid in the reservoir as does the gas in the gas tank when you don't vent it (let it suck air in) as the fluid level drops the fluid level will not be able to drop.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: