Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

Zerks causing trouble.
1952 M38 converting to 12V
M38A1 Slave Bucket location
M274 A3 Mule For Sale
flywheel advice
conversion from a 12 volt system back to a 24 volt system
M151 A2 + M416 Trailer For Sale
M38 ignition points condensor
TM9-8015-1 Clarification
Wiper motor...which is the correct one?

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - Light Switch
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Light Switch

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gamillerman

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 4:22 am    Post subject: Light Switch Reply with quote

Can anyone tell me which light switch my M38 should have in it?. the wires are all cut off the plug and wired into a "bubba" switch. The serial # is MC62369 with a delivery date of 4/52. Should I look for a one plug or two plug. I believe this is a late model and should have came with a single plug into the switch
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the M38 Data base:
MC66734 Prod Note Last serial with Bendix pn 10-76555-1 two plug bosses but only one used. Replaced with UCI PN 160306 with one plug straight out the back.

This was an Apr/May 52 switch so you'll have to know your serial number to be sure.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
gamillerman

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok......so my serial #is MC62369 (have the dash tag and fender well tag and they match) it should originally had a two plug wire system

thanks
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No. If you look further back in the data base there was another light switch (made by Bendix) that actually had two cannon plug receptacles. The M38's from the first run to MC35387 (Sep 51)used the first style light switch (PN 10-34880) built by Bendix it had two plugs and utilized both since the trailer harness was entirely seperate from the rest of the lighting harness in these early models. Then MC35388 through MC66734 (Apr 52) used the second style switch (Bendix PN 10-76555-1) which had both cast bosses for the two plug type but only one boss actually had a receptacle. This guy used a single plug at the switch but was lower in the harnes since that plugs receptacle faces down. Then starting with MC66735 Willys used the standard Military Unicite switch PN 160306 which was much smaller than either of the earlier Bendix switches and it had only one receptacle pointing straight out the back of the switch.

You should have the switch in the middle.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
gamillerman

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok....now this leads me to a second question. I have seen both the first (two plug) and the Third (one plug). I have seen very few of the middle switch. Do all three switches have the same number of pins in the large receptacles ? if this is true then I could use either the first or second switch and still be correct since I have seen the two plug switch with the smaller plug capped off. I would prefer using either the first or second kind anyway since you can easily disassemble and clean the contacts fix any broken wires etc.
Ryan_Miller
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you can just use the one plug, but Wes know more about that than I do.

Here is a light switch on ebay for sale that has one plug covered with a cap, not sure where the cap came from.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MILITARY-M38-4X4-LIGHT-SWITCH-USED-3-LEVER_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33712QQitemZ8061183473QQrdZ1
gamillerman

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Ryan. I already have a bid in on that one. I know the seller well. I done a lot of business with him in the past when I lived in Okla.

thanks again
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes the large plug is the same on all three. You can use any you choose. The center one with a matching harness is correct for your jeep for a factory resto. The dust covers are around. Jeff at MVP should have some for the small plug. It's a good idea to cover it since it's exposed pins duplicate those for the main plug tail lamp power and are hot whenever the main plug is.

I like the early Bendix switches because they are designed to be rebuildable, the Unicite and other brand later ones were meant to be throw aways.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: