Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

Compression testing results.
Rear brake cyclinder compatability
T90 inspection before action?
M38 Radio Power Cable/Connector
Wanted to buy - C-375/VRC
Battery cut off in motor compartment?
Cross Member Radiator Tabs
WTB M38 distributor breaker plate tabs
Hodakaguy M38 Misc Thread
1950 M38 no reading on the dash amp meter

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - M38a1 leaf spring brackets
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

M38a1 leaf spring brackets

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bpenkala

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:06 am    Post subject: M38a1 leaf spring brackets Reply with quote

My m38a1 has some odd suspension problems - one of the front shackles has been welded to the frame toward the outside of the vehicle - I am hoping I can drill or grind out the socket in the frame to get a new shackle in. Because of the poor job someone did welding, the spring was at an angle and the upper leaf wore through the brackets that hold the leaves together - has anyone seen just the brackets for sale or do I need to make my own? The brackets seem to be riveted to the bottom leaf to hold it in place, and a bolt at the top of the bracket across the upper leaf. There are three of these brackets behind the axle and one in front of the axle needing replacement. Also, the top two leaves on this spring seem to be flatter than the other three springs, while the opposite rear spring has the top two leaves bent up about an inch. It makes the vehicle sit unevenly. Does anyone sell just the top two leaves for front and rear of an M38a1?

The front springs have 12 leaves and the rear have 13 leaves. Is this typical? I have considered just getting new springs but none have this many leaves, not that I need that stiff of a suspension, but I prefer not to spend so much on all new parts (pretty soon I will have a completely new vehicle as opposed to a rebuilt one).
evanso1975

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The front springs have 12 leaves and the rear have 13 leaves. Is this typical?

Page 290 of the maintenance manual (TM 9-8014):
Front spring - 12 leaves
Rear spring - 13 leaves

So I would guess what you have is correct. You may be able to get the springs re-arched, rather than buying new.

1951 US Air Force M38
1944 F-1 1/2-ton Airdrome Trailer
1940 C15 Chevrolet CMP 11-cab
1939 DKW KS200 Motorcycle
MVT # 19406
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you referring to this frame bracket?

Or this inside the frame rail bracket above the word "rubber"?

The brackets are riveted to the leaf with a single steel rivet. All the clips and hardware are listed in the M38A1 ORD 9. The illustration and index are on pages 280 & 281 and the clips are on page 286 and the rivet on 287. These pop up as NOS occasionally for sale. Record all the possible part numbers (MAT for Mather Spring, WO for Willys, & ORD for the Army numbers) and run them in google searches. It was more common for the military to replace an entire spring assembly then individual leaves or clips so the complete spring assemblies were stocked more than parts.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
bpenkala

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:19 pm    Post subject: M38a1 leaf spring brackets Reply with quote

Referring to the shackle attached to the rear of the spring - the one above the word "rubber". I have photos from each side of the frame and am trying to post them. At this time I have shared photos on Dropbox but have never done this so don't know how it will work.

And what has happened to the brackets holding the leaves together:

Someone please let me know if you can access the photos - if not I'll keep working on this.

If you can see my problem, please provide suggestions for repair.
Xamon

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ouch, good luck with the welded bit, nasty stuff there.
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brad,

When you use some of those photo host sites you must use the prepackaged transfer system for posting a photo from there to another web site. Just copying the URL may not work. I downloaded the three photos, opened a photo album in our web site for you and loaded them there then linked them to your post.

You album is at:
http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=album272&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php

As for the boogered up bubba repair I see no other choice for you but to grind the weld material off until you can remove the shackle then repair the steel bushing in the frame.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: