Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

1950 M38 no reading on the dash amp meter
Transfer Case rebuild issues
Zerks causing trouble.
1952 M38 converting to 12V
M38A1 Slave Bucket location
M274 A3 Mule For Sale
flywheel advice
conversion from a 12 volt system back to a 24 volt system
M151 A2 + M416 Trailer For Sale
M38 ignition points condensor

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - water pump question from 4X4M38
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

water pump question from 4X4M38

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RICKG

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 8:40 am    Post subject: water pump question from 4X4M38 Reply with quote

Hi Rick,
On my M38 I have a two pulley water pump on my rebuilt engine. It has a rebuild tag on the block so I'm pretty sure it's military.

The water pump has a small (1"?) hose running from the top right of the pump housing over to the right side of the engine and it is attached to the motor where the M38 temperature sender goes. There is a splice and a fitting, and an electric sender in the fitting.

Is that a Civvy thing? I don't see anything in the M38 literature about that extra line fr0m the water pump, but some photos show a plug in the pump casting.

Thanks,
Brian

This question was PM'd to me and I don't have an answer other than its not stock. Best to share it with the board and get more informed opinions..

Brian should have the bypass hose from the WP to head as shown here but apparently has another hose from the WP plug shown in lower left of foto to the temp sender port with some sort of in-line sender installed. Sounds like the PO didn't have a stock sender and improvised..
ChuckW

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like maybe a block water heater.
Dixie Division MVC #002
1952 M38/M100
M274A2
1964 CJ3B
oilleaker1

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a CJ with the "T" ( more like a "y") arrangement at the temp sender hole. If the head isn't drilled at the rear top, then it draws water at the sender hole for the heater. If the head isn't drilled at the front for the bypass M38 hose,then I guess they ran it back to the temp. sender. Never seen that done before. Most likely a owner's modification. The plastic oil pressure sender line is a civilian thing also. If his engine's head has the cast flat on the front, he can drill and tap it for a bypass and eliminate the hose from the pump to the temperature sender hole and install the small 90 degree correct hose. Wonder if his head has the hole at the rear top? The civilian L heads didn't have the front bypass hose and needed the small bypass hole drilled or provided in the thermostat.
4x4M38

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Guys,
Thanks for the replies.

I have a remanufactured engine from Pueblo, Co., 7/55. It has an M38 head as well. I took a look this mornign and there is a pipe plug in the head at the boss pointing towards the radiator. The hose in question runs from the water pump connection to the right, then back on the right side to the connection for the temp sensor.

http://willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules/gallery/albums/album372/temp_sensor_resize.sized.jpg

So end of the day, the provisions are there to remove the pipe plug and screw in the proper fitting and bypass hose. I guess in the meantime it's ok to run as is?

Thanks,
Brian

[/img]
http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=album372&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be sure to understand the purpose of the original M38 set-up. It was a water pump bypass feature that was added to improve rate of warm up. Preheated water would leave the head and mix with cold water from the radiator speeding up the warmup. M38's did not come with heaters.

On civilian jeeps with heaters the same purpose is accomplished through the heater plumbing. The water pump draws cold water from the radiator and pushes it through the block and the heater plumbing the most of the return heated water goes straight to the radiator but the heated water that went through the heater and head is returned directly to the water to help with a more rapid warmup.

The correct way to plumb in a heater is hot water to the heater from the side of the head and then route heater return to the port in the top of the pump. If the head has a front port it then is plugged.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
4x4M38

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Wes,
This thing does not have a heater, military or aftermarket.
After reading the above posts I have no idea why that line was
plumbed that way and the front head port plugged.

Maybe one explanation.

Bubba.

I'll make plans to obtain the parts and return it to stock.
Thanks for all of the help.
Brian
http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=album372&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
ChuckW

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking about a jacket water heater, not a passenger compartment heater, but obviously this is neither. A photo is worth a thousand words!
Bubba strikes atgain!
Dixie Division MVC #002
1952 M38/M100
M274A2
1964 CJ3B
4x4M38

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chuck,
That's what I thought you meant, but correct, neither!

And they are usually somewhere down low, as warm water rises, not on top!

Take care,
Brian
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: