Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

WTB M38 distributor breaker plate tabs
Hodakaguy M38 Misc Thread
1950 M38 no reading on the dash amp meter
Transfer Case rebuild issues
Zerks causing trouble.
1952 M38 converting to 12V
M38A1 Slave Bucket location
M274 A3 Mule For Sale
flywheel advice
conversion from a 12 volt system back to a 24 volt system

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - Newbie in Coeur a'Alene, ID
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Newbie in Coeur a'Alene, ID

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Jeep Project Threads
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jeeptrix

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:21 pm    Post subject: Newbie in Coeur a'Alene, ID Reply with quote

New member here and new to military Jeeps. I just picked up a 1953 M38A1 and need help in my first restoration.

One or more of the prior owners converted this to 12 volt and installed a small block Chevy. They also added all sorts of lights to make it street legal.

I would like to return the Jeep to almost stock form. I do plan on doing a frame off restore. I really don't want to go to the expense of removing the V8 but would like the rest of the Jeep to look like it once did. Here is one of my many questions. I need all the help I can get.

The serial number is MD 60172. What branch of the service was this from?
It looks like the original color was orange. Was this used at an airfield?

Is there a source that lists serial numbers?

I would attach photos if I knew how. Help.[/img]
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's your own photo album:
http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=album250&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php

We have a how to file of illustrations at:
http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=album53&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
Jeeptrix

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:16 am    Post subject: Photos posted Reply with quote

I posted some photos of my Jeep.

As you can tell it has a blue paint job over an orange one. This may have been a follow me Jeep at some airfield.

I would like to know what the broken shift lever is. Could it be a PTO?

Any ideas on what the oblong cutout is for under the headlight? It is the wrong shape for a grille marker light.

And are those three black switches on the dash under the black light stock?

I edited your post to include copies of your photos.
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That lever is most likely an overdrive lever.

The switches as well as the rest of that dash switches and knobs are not stock.

The grill and fenders are late CJ5. That opening was round originally for a surface mounted round parking light. No telling why someone grinded it out a little on one side.

The serial, MD60172, where did you find that? Was it on the title, the front end of the right rear wheel house (on the patent tag) or elsewhere?

AMC lengthened the fenders and hood in 1972 to allow for the longer inline six they installed as well as the AMC V8's. Their grill was not as deep as the M38A1 and Willys/Kaiser grills which also made for more engine room.

I see Saginaw power steering has been added as well. You can make her look military but the front end will always look late CJ5.

I can't tell if your frame is in fact an M38A1 frame without seeing the inside surface of the front frame rails under the winch or the bottom side of the jeep just behind the driver's seat to see the cross member there.

You should download the free manuals on our "Downloads" page which will answer 90% of your questions and view the other photo albums which will answer the other 10%.
http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?name=Downloads&d_op=viewdownload&cid=63

Especially review my album where I have posted several hundred detailed technical photos.
http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php

This is the patent plate location behind the passenger seat.

This is an M38A1 dash

This is a M38A1 grill

This is a M38A1 hood. Note the shovel brackets.

This is the rear part of the M38A1 frame. The first visible crossmember is the one immediately behind the driver's seat. If yours does not have that square plate in the middle it is not a M38A1 frame. (I am not referring to the green circle)

This is the inside of the right front frame rail of a M38A1. Note the frame rail is boxed not only back to the front crossmember but also from the front crossmember to the firewall as well. A CJ5 frame leaves the "C" channel frame rail open where this one has that welded in inner plate with the oval hole and weld nuts.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
Jeeptrix

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your help.

At least there is some good news on this machine. I did find the ID tag on the fender wheel just behind the passenger seat and the title matches that number.

I checked the frame with the photos you provided and they match. It has the boxed frame with the welded in nuts and there is a plate on the crossmember that the transfer case is bolted to.

As for the cutouts below the headlight these appear to be stamped cutouts. The edges are very smooth and they are identical on both sides. I did not find anywhere a shovel could be mounted. The cutouts on the front of the fender are very rough and obviously done by hand.

Now that I have removed a lot of the vinyl on the dash it appears original as it matches your photos. The dash ID plates are missing but you can tell where they were.

That brings us to the color. If this was a "follow me" jeep painted orange then when the hood, grille and fenders were added they were also painted orange.

Anyway to find out what branch of the service this was assigned to?
RICKG

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of these old warhorses were transformed into huntin' rigs
after they were surplused and Bubba's colors of choice were
often orange or yellow.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Jeep Project Threads All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: