Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

Wiper motor...which is the correct one?
Lead additive, one more question.
M31C mount with or without replica weapon
Backfire and Hesitation
Wanted: Steering column and shaft for M38-1952, or late CJ2A
2024 CT. MILITARY VEHICLE SHOW AND FLEA MARKET- JUNE 15,2024
Brake Line
How to link full size photos in posts
Clutch release bearing support cast tab for return spring
T90 case replacement required?

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - Paint color second opinion and Greek undercoating?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Paint color second opinion and Greek undercoating?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Thunderbird712

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 2:48 pm    Post subject: Paint color second opinion and Greek undercoating? Reply with quote

In the picture attached is the color I found under the undercoating on the body. To me it looks like 2430. There is just bare metal underneath that layer so its factory paint. I just want a second opinion that that is what I am looking at. I actually havent seen 2430 in person other then possible close matches shown on the many discussions on this subject on the forums.

Also does anyone know if the Greeks undercoated their A1’s? I know the Marine Corps was the only US service to do so however this jeep came out of Greece. I don’t see any signs of this being a Marine Corps jeep before the Greeks. Additionally I don’t think it was a bubba thing as to the best of my knowledge it never saw civilian hands as it would have gone through MAP to Greece ( I believe that is correct) and it was Greek army surplus when we got it. I am not going to keep the undercoating but I am just curious if anyone has seen this before.

wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes it is 2430. There's no other indication of a primer because they used a thinned layer of 2430 for the primer coat followed by a Un-thinned layer for the top coat. I would imagine that the Greeks probably did use a lot of undercoating considering their location.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
jeeperjoe

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW there are rumors that the US Navy undercoated some of their Jeeps as well, particularaly the Seabees.
Thunderbird712

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read that in another post of yours Wes regarding the primer coat. That is why I went and sanded down a spot and when it went to bare metal I was pretty sure it was 2430. As far as the undercoating I am trying to start another long discussion on undercoating because there has been plenty of threads about this. I was just curious if any one else that has an ex-greek A1 had the undercoating. It makes sense they would use it being on an island Smile
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have several European members and English members with greek M38's.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
DanS

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My M38 is a former Navy jeep. It was undercoated and the paint under the coating looks exactly like yours.

Dan
GPW 14944 dod 4/10/42
K38 Linemans Trailer 4/43
M100 Trailer 01177488 dod 8/51
Scrapyard

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wesk wrote:
We have several European members and English members with greek M38's.

My project 1952 M38a1 "Greek Revenge" had a thin but effective black undercoating over 2 two layers of green. However very different to the one in the first picture. After the undercoating was done the Jeep received a camo job and a lot of that paint ended on the underside on top of the undercoating.

My other Greek 52´MD wreck ("Greek Tragedy") has no undercoating, but the underside has been painted with red primer, so maybe the undercoating had been removed to check the metal and later it was only repainted.

My ex-Strato Blue M38 has an undercoating, too. But it is ex-Iranian Army.

Oliver
Thunderbird712

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oliver,

Thanks for the reply. I would say my jeep body was a "Greek Tragedy" after its service with them!! Shocked My A1 also had the typical camo job you see on the greek jeeps. Its good to have someone help validate this for me. I was always curious where the undercoating came from since the jeep never was in civilian hands. It only makes sense to have the undercoating being on an island.

TJ
baios

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thunderbird712 wrote:
Oliver,

Thanks for the reply. I would say my jeep body was a "Greek Tragedy" after its service with them!!.

TJ

hmmm i think that all US jeeps that serves in Greek army had the opportunity to travel in all of beautiful greek islands so not "Greek tragedy" but "Greek Euphoria" Cool Cool Cool Wink Wink Wink Wink Wink
Thunderbird712

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hahaha!! I was talking about the horrible body work that was done on the jeep!!! I think my 1 year old daughter could have welded a patch better!! Surprised I think it is really cool that the jeep was in greece for sometime. You dont hear of to many here in the states that were former greek jeeps. I only wish I could know more about its time in Greece but until the Jeep can talk to me I will never know!!!
Scrapyard

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thunderbird712 wrote:
Oliver,
It only makes sense to have the undercoating being on an island.

TJ

Many European countries still use salt for clearing their roads in the winter. The poor factory paint job and a couple of wet, cold and salty winters - this undercoating saved me a lot of bodywork!

Talking about poor factory paint jobs, the inside of both of my dashboard panel had no paint at all on it.

Baios, I hope to be able to rename my project Jeep when I finally get it running. I could have choosen a better preserved ex-Greek Army MD, for just a little more money, but I wanted an early one. So I can´t blame anyone but myself, not even Frau Merkel Laughing
4x4M38

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 12:00 pm    Post subject: 2430 paint Reply with quote

Digging through the threads...and just to clarify.

2430 is the correct as shipped new 1950 M38 color?

Tks,
Brian
4x4M38

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 2:19 pm    Post subject: color Reply with quote

I finally found the multiple pages of paint posts.

Now I am really conflicted.

2430 is as delivered 1950 from Willys.

I pulled the dimmer switch the other day and was cleaning it up.
Found two different colors of OD or green, depending on your mileage,
along with some sort of blue/gray applied later.
One color is on the firewall side and is noticeably greener that the other,
which is on the floorboard side, and under some of the blue/gray.
It is noticeably browner than the firewall paint.

Neither resemble 2430, or samples shown here of Gillespie's 23070 or AJP Late WWII OD, and the firewall paint matches color I have found inside the wheel wells and well as on the underside.

Anyone want to take a swing at this?
BTW, I prefer the greener color, and was wondering what Ryan used on his M38, as it appears closer than the 2430.

Tks,
Brian
4x4M38

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, looking at the original post that firewall and underframe/wheel well green I have is a match for his color photo. If that is 2430 then that is what I have and would like to paint mine. Again, the AJP and Gillespie recommended colors don't appear green enough.

Help?
Thunderbird712

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry if u did already but take a look at my photo page. I have a couple of pictures of my frame painted with AJP. Granted these pictures were right after I painted it. Its been close to a year now since then but the color hasnt change all that much. I have the frame next to the body that the original picture in this thread was from. They are not an exact match but then again the body was painted 60 years ago so u can expect fading due to time and environment to effect the paint plus all the other stuff thats been discussed before. I think it is close enough.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: