Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

WTB M38 distributor breaker plate tabs
Hodakaguy M38 Misc Thread
1950 M38 no reading on the dash amp meter
Transfer Case rebuild issues
Zerks causing trouble.
1952 M38 converting to 12V
M38A1 Slave Bucket location
M274 A3 Mule For Sale
flywheel advice
conversion from a 12 volt system back to a 24 volt system

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - Wire tags
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Wire tags

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
4x4M38

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 12:18 pm    Post subject: Wire tags Reply with quote

Sorry if this is discussed elsewhere.

So far I've seen two types of wire tags or numbered identifiers crimped onto the wiring on jeeps and accessories.

By far the most common (and maybe because I've seen them on M38/M38A1 identified parts) are the longer T-shaped ones that are simply wrapped around the wire. The two smaller tabs look like they were designed to lock around the longer piece once wrapped around the wire to keep it from coming off.

The second one I am less familiar with. I found one in a lot of electrical parts recently purchased. I am assuming it is a newer replacement, "better, improved" version. It looks like it may have had locking tabs on it as well that are gone, or maybe they are just where it connects to the next one during the stamping operation.

Neither look impossible to reproduce if someone is repairing or replacing wire, although the second one would be more difficult. Just need the right gauge aluminum which can be purchased at Hobby Lobby in sheets.

Thoughts?
Brian
BCA

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While the wrap-around style are most commonly seen and are used on reproduction harnesses, the crimp on style were also used at least back as 1952. I have seen NOS front grill harness kits for M38 ( a neat kit including right harness, 2 left headlight cables, 2 ground cables and 2 headlight pot grommets) dated 1952 that used the crimp-on number tags.
JAM

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is new to me, but some questions arise comments
if both tags were fixed in a cable of the same diameter, the tag marked 20 hugs accurately to match the male end to the female, how would the excess tag end once blocked 24 with the ends of the "T "as seen with the naked eye that is longer than the 20 tag?

It is possible that what is refold about 180 ° in the opposite direction once locked over the ends of the "T" in order not to obstruct the identification number?

guys, I managed to explain right? (I'm using google translator, correcting the result which I think is necessary) Embarassed
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It is possible that what is refold about 180 ° in the opposite direction once locked over the ends of the "T" in order not to obstruct the identification number?

Yes

You wrap the long narrow end around the wire and then cover the 24 then bend the two "T" tabs across the center. Then fold the remaining length of the long end back over the "T" tabs.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
JAM

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a picture is worth a thousand words.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: