Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

Compression testing results.
Rear brake cyclinder compatability
T90 inspection before action?
M38 Radio Power Cable/Connector
Wanted to buy - C-375/VRC
Battery cut off in motor compartment?
Cross Member Radiator Tabs
WTB M38 distributor breaker plate tabs
Hodakaguy M38 Misc Thread
1950 M38 no reading on the dash amp meter

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - Distributor Install Question
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Distributor Install Question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hawkshadow

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:46 am    Post subject: Distributor Install Question Reply with quote

I have searched through the pams and forums here am having a hard time locating information on what items and which order things are in when they are installed with respect to the distributor. I seem to recall when I pulled it off that there were several shims or bushings involved along the way between the distributor, mounting plate, and the block. Unfortunately I can't recall in what order things go in and what size the bushings are to get new ones. I tried to read the parts ord and figure it out, but there are quite a few different items which could be similar mentioned and I'm still trying to make heads or tails of how to interpret some of the information in there.

Thanks gents

M38 CDN
52-30718
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rather then one of us guessing what you are seeing and vice-versa you should get together with a local M jeeps owner and sort this out. It sounds as if the military manuals are overwhelming you.

The distributor assembly is installed in the block with no shims or spacers or bushings between it and the block. The only thing in that space between the distributor and block is the distributor lock plate which bolts to the block and then has a single bolt going up into the bottom of the distributor housing through a slot in the lock plate that you loosen so you can rotate the distributor for timing.

The distributor far left is the M38 distributor. That lock plate is shown already bolted to the bottom of the distributor housing and you can see the remaining hole for bolting the lock plate to the block.

Post a photo of the distributor you are trying to install.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
Hawkshadow

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a standard m38 distributor. My confusion came because when I removed it there were a couple of thin shims installed with it as well. However, if it isn't supposed to have any shims then I needn't worry about them.

I appreciate your assistance and it is unfortunate that "local m jeeps owners" aren't a dime a dozen here in the city. Admittedly I have never deciphered parts numbers before like the ones in the parts ord. I know that they explain the material, thread type, diameter, and length, (for bolts as an example) but I have never been taught how to interpret the info. Although some people's questions may seem a little simple to some of the experts here, they are asking them because they honestly don't know and were hoping to find some helpful friendly advice.

M38 CDN
52-30718

Last edited by Hawkshadow on Fri Aug 09, 2013 7:26 am; edited 2 times in total
C15TA

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Hawkshadow. There are lots of Jeep owners in the Toronto area. Do you belong to the OMVA? We have a show in Acton in October and you could meet lots of M series guys there. Take a trip to Oshawa to the museum and talk to Frank Moore of Tank Builders fame. He is a great guy and a wealth of knowledge
on military vehicles. Another smart guy is Capt1 (Wilf) on this site and he could also help you out and he works in Whitby. I hope this helps.
Barry
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
they are asking them because they honestly don't know and were hoping to find some helpful friendly advice here as,

I offered friendly helpful advice. I call a spade a spade. I like to keep my answers short and to the point. I don't write two paragraphs of sugar to sweeten my technical help. I have been a mechanic since 1962. I have trained several hundred mechanics and answered their thousands of questions. I never called their questions or anyone else's question foolish or stupid. I always let them know when they should study something or try learning additional information.

The person asking the question is responsible for making the querry as clear and concise as he can, to offer as much background as needed and to offer illustrations of any point he has trouble explaining.

The person answering the question is responsible to offer a clear, brief and concise reply. Illustrate any point that he thinks may not be easy for the asker to assimilate. And make constructive suggestions on how the asker can better help himself understand the subject matter.

If anyone here believes the advice I offer from my years of experience as a mechanic and a jeep owner is not civil or kind enough please make that clear now so I know whom not to offer my advice too.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
madmike

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently went thru some growing pains with understanding the distributor and timing the engine. I found that among other things I had a bent distributor shaft and was missing the proper O ring type seal at the base of the distributor. Wes gave you a picture of the base and what is supposed to be in place but you never know what "bubba" did to confuse the issue. Maybe a shim with sealant because he didn't have an O ring.

I found that one distributor shaft was barely engaging the oil pump which is driven by the shaft. Another shaft fit it perfectly. Point being, if someone put shims in there, and you have the items Wes mentioned, then you may have a shaft that is too long and won't seal against the block. That could be an issue with the pump or the distributor but you should be certain which one before tightening the unit.

Mike
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One little goodie that will make the shaft appear to long is the spring anti-rattle clip at the bottom. New folks will pull the distributor and not notice it missing from the shaft tip. Missing because it stuck in the top of the oil pump shaft. Then when you try to put the distributor back in it is a few thousanths too tall.

You can just make out the hex shaped piece of spring steel at the bottom of the sahft in the top left photo.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: