Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

WTB M38 distributor breaker plate tabs
Hodakaguy M38 Misc Thread
1950 M38 no reading on the dash amp meter
Transfer Case rebuild issues
Zerks causing trouble.
1952 M38 converting to 12V
M38A1 Slave Bucket location
M274 A3 Mule For Sale
flywheel advice
conversion from a 12 volt system back to a 24 volt system

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - hole in cowl
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

hole in cowl

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TomM

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 2:25 pm    Post subject: hole in cowl Reply with quote

What is the second hole in the cowl of an M38 used for? The outermost hole is the cowl to radiator brace. The one just off center is?

Is it for a hood stay that would go into the hole in the center of the hood flange?

Tom
Ryan_Miller
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bracket to hold the fording valve cables
TomM

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 7:16 pm    Post subject: Hole in Cowel Reply with quote

Hi Ryan,

The bracket for the fording valves mounts under the fourth hood screw from the drivers (left) side.

The hole I have in my cowl is near the second screw from the left and it is intentional since there is a doubler plate behind it just like the radiator support holel.

The hole is not shown on page 108 of TM9-8012 but the fording cable bracket is shown

Tom
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom,
Look closely at the outboard top of the cowl flange on both sides. You'll see two more of those holes. I believe they were there for positioning and handling of the cowl before the firewall was installed and have no post assembly functions.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
jeepers52

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

.I know what hole you are talking about. Not many M38s have this particular hole. Since I started working on my m38, and paying attention, about 4 years ago, I have not seen another with that hole you mention. I have been very curious as well. I hope you get an answer.

1952 M38 Jeep
1952 M38 Jeep (project)
1945 T-3 Bantam trailer
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The answer for the extra hole near the middle of the cowl I think is in TB 9-2855-2 Gas Heater kit install. It's the resting place for the aft end of the hood support bar. The front end is mounted in the opposite radiator support ear from the grill support rod.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
TomM

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 7:03 am    Post subject: prop rod Reply with quote

Makes sense! My jeep had the personnel and powerplant heaters installed at some time in its life. I found 3 different rods in the tool box. One might be the rod you reference.
Are you able to scan that picture? I don't understand the description of where it should fasten near the radiator.
Tom
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I take the hood support theory back. The answer lies in the TM's. Early firewall had only one hole, the one closest to the passenger side of the cowl and the radiator brace rod went straight aft to it from the radiator as seen below in the manual illustration from the early TM 9-804.

For some reason the brace rod attachment at the firewall was changed with the late cowl as seen in the photo below from the late TM 9-8012.

Perhaps Keith B could give us some factory change data concerning the brace rod part number A1217 which doesn't change part numbers through this change but is obviously bent differently.

bbloom

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this is an older post but have there been any updates to the difference in where the rod is bent on this post. In TM-91804B page 34, fig 9, it clearly shows the bend in the rod at the hood end and in TM9-8012, page 127, fig 34 the bend is at the radiator side of the rod, whereas the parts manual, ORD9 SNL G-740 page 95, lists only 1 Rod, brace, (WO-A1217). Either manual does show it mounted not in the center most hole in the cowl but the hole offset to the drivers side, thus the need for the bend in the rod.
MVPA #1196

Photo Album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=album327&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: