Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

Wiper motor...which is the correct one?
Lead additive, one more question.
M31C mount with or without replica weapon
Backfire and Hesitation
Wanted: Steering column and shaft for M38-1952, or late CJ2A
2024 CT. MILITARY VEHICLE SHOW AND FLEA MARKET- JUNE 15,2024
Brake Line
How to link full size photos in posts
Clutch release bearing support cast tab for return spring
T90 case replacement required?

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - Wiring my M38
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Wiring my M38

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RickC

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 6:49 am    Post subject: Wiring my M38 Reply with quote

I have a NOS main harness I want to put in my 52 M38. The diagrams in the manual aren't to clear on which wires to to the 4 circuit breakers. I only have the regulator harness and main harness right now but wanted to get a start putting it in. Can anyone explain what wires go to the circuit breakers? My jeep was disassembled when I bought it so I have no clue as to where it was.
Thanks
Rick

PS Any opinions on using the old harness with new stuff mixed in? Should I just buy the whole kit?
OKCM38CDN

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depending on the harness configuration (Old or New, meaning the dash breakers or the cowl battery box breakers) will determine where your harness goes...

I have the Cowl battery box breakers and the regulator harness should have a large wire with 3 double douglas connectors on it. This wire daisy chains from one breaker to another providing power to all three... then the other side of the breaker supplies the power to the proper circuit...

I hope this helps...
Ryan_Miller
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick,

The new harness vs the older harness would mostly depend on the condition of the old harness. If it looks to be in good condition, try it out, if you have any electrical problems that you cannot trace very easily then I would be leaning toward a new harness.

On the circuit breakers:

There is only one diagram that shows all of the CB leads on the same diagram and that is the complete wiring diagram, which can get confusing. The circuit breakers are part of several different circuits so you have to look up each circuit diagram (ignition, lights, etc.).

I would buy the TM9-804 as it has all the different ciucuits laid out in about 10 different diagrams and it is not as complicated when broken down to basic circuits.

The TM9-804 is available in reprint - call Midwest Military ot one of the other suppliers.

This is the Early M38 wiring from TM9-804 September 1950

complete wiring diagram page:

page 119 ignition diagram that shows the three circuit breakers on the battery box and the instrument cluster circuit breaker. One of the not shown leads on this diagram can be traced on the previous diagram above to go to the firewall auxillary outlet.

wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the best view:

In this diagram if you have a single plug light switch just delete the trailer plug info. With the light switch which goes single plug at MC35388 and the circuit breaker trio ends at MC65927 and the instrument CB goes away at MC65042.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
RickC

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys. I am familiar with M series wiring. I own a M37 and M43. Harness I have doesn't really have any leads that appear to go to the battery box breakers and I didn't see where the dash breaker was fed from. The 2 jeeps I have both had dash plates with a breaker on them as well as 3 breakers on the battery box. The regulator harness is no problem as it is basically the same as the m37 ones where it feeds the battery box breakers and the ignition switch. Maybe just easier to go with a repro harness kit.
Rick C
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: