Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

M38 Radio Power Cable/Connector
Wanted to buy - C-375/VRC
Battery cut off in motor compartment?
Cross Member Radiator Tabs
WTB M38 distributor breaker plate tabs
Hodakaguy M38 Misc Thread
1950 M38 no reading on the dash amp meter
Transfer Case rebuild issues
Zerks causing trouble.
1952 M38 converting to 12V

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - New Member New Jeep and Lots of questions
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New Member New Jeep and Lots of questions
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Jeep Project Threads
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've only found it on the rear left. I am sure I sent you a survey form to fill out? If you will complete the form I can better date your jeep.

Quote:
Hello MD/MDA (M38A1 series) including NEKAF, CDN’s & M170,

My name is Wes Knettle and I am building a Yahoo Group Site for CJV35/U, M38, M38CDN, M38A1, M38A1C, M38A1D, M38A1CDN, M170, M606, M606A1 and M606A2 owners, restorers and anyone else who has a love for these vehicles. I wish the site to be open and useful to the members. I would like to install as much data as I can in the data bases and files system. I’m not asking you to tear the jeep down but in cases where many of the parts in question are exposed during restoration or servicing please include that parts data.
A pictorial guide is at: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php It is for this data that I ask your help to gather. I will not publish any personal information. Please visit our sites: www.willysmjeeps.com and http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/M38-M38A1-M606/
My email address is: wsknettl@centurytel.net

The data I'll need is:

Identification
1. Is it US, NEKAF or Canadian Built?
2. Dash serial plate serial number.
3. For US built the wheelhouse tag serial number.
4. For US Built DA Contract number from left lower corner of dash serial # tag.
5. For Canadian built the CAR registration number.
6. For Canadian built the contract number from the dash plate
7. Date of delivery
8. Branch of Service and Country? List agencies listed on the Responsible Agency Plate on the dash.
9. Original US Hood Number? (Positively determined by owner via paint removal)
10. Current US Hood Number?
11-If foreign service list any foreign markings.
12. Engine Serial number just above water pump.
13. Engine Casting number (right lower side of block)
14. What other numbers are cast in the block?
15. Are there any add on rebuild plates on the block. Describe them.
16. Cylinder Head casting number. (aft of carb top of head under valve cover.)
17. List any other markings and numbers found on the jeep.
18. What are the dates if any and markings on the case of the: Tranny_________,
Transfer ___________ Frt Diff____________ Rear Diff ____________.
The tranny date code is usually upper left side. The axle housing assembly date is usually on the top forward side of the left tube, 8 or 10 inches inboard of the brake back plate.

Electrical, Instruments & Ignition
19. Did you buy it with 24 volt electrics and waterproof ignition?
20. Did it have early metal (Douglas) or late rubber (Packard) electrical connectors?
21. Did it have the auxiliary power receptacle on the right side of the cowl?
22. Was the 24 volt generator / alternator / regulator Delco or Auto-Lite?
Generator or alternator part number____________Serial #______________.
Regulator part number _______________Serial #_________________.
Distributor part #_________________Serial #_________________.
Starter part #._____________________Serial #___________________.
23. Does it have a voltmeter (color ranges) or ammeter (chg – dischg)?
24. Is oil pressure gage 0-60 or 0-120 PSI?
25. Does it have the early round dash lamps or later raised point lid M151 type?
26. List any add-on electrical equipment it came with.
Accessories
27. Does it have a personnel heater?
Is the heater hot water type or gas fired type or civilian add-on type?
28. Does it have a power plant arctic heat kit?
29. Was the fording kit installed? (Snorkel & Exhaust extension) and/or (basic plumbing and valves for the early vent system.)
30. Was the primer system installed. (hand pump on dash)
31. Was a PTO & winch installed?
If yes what models?
Miscellaneous
32. Does grill hinge?
33. Does it have wing nut or latch type battery box fasteners?
34. Does it have posi-traction axles? (tag on housing that specifies servicing lube)
35. Are windshield wipers vacuum or electric?
36. Does it have a ventilating windshield (inner glass section tilts out at bottom)?
37. Leaf spring leaf count front.
38. Leaf spring leaf count rear.
39. Spring shackles are Open C or Closed type?
40. (M38A1)LateWide or early narrow bumper? (early narrow just barely reaches in front of the inner side of the tires)
41. Radiator support type? Two rods only at bottom to engine mounts or two rods above to firewall in addition to the bottom 2?
42. Fender style? (early diagonal seam and late vertical seam behind front wheel opening) Does it have the support that bolts to the frame?
43. (M38A1)Are the front floor drains inboard near tranny or outboard near door sill? Do they have a gasket?
44. If M38A1/M170 Radio jeep:
A. Was the jeep USMC or other service and did it have radio equipment tags?
B. What electrical components were added to support the radio setup?
C. What radio mountings were evidenced in your jeep?
D. What antenna mountings were evidenced on your jeep?
45. If M170 or converted to a medical jeep:
A. What medical equipment was still with the jeep?
B. Can you provide a photo of the medical specific equipment.
46. (M38A1)Is there a latch bracket on the right side panel for the passenger seat?
47. (M38A1)Which of the three frames do you have? There were three frames used. Early had a long oval opening on the inner plate between the grill & the bumper and the two small holes on top for the grill hinge. Late had no oval opening but first series late still had the grill hinge holes and second series late did not.
48. If a NEKAF unit please indicate where it was built.
49. (M38A1)Are the forward storage brackets for the top bows the straight up with “T” thumb screw or slightly angled snap in type?
50. If weapon platform IE M38A1C or M38A1D please list evidence found of weapon system and data plates. Please send me a photo of any weapn data plates.

Note: Please list any additional data as applies to your M38A1 or M170 / Nekaf/CDN specific items. Also any items or data specific to the M38A1C or M38A1D or USMC radio jeep MRCXX. If your jeep was a CDN2 can you indicate the date and location it was converted to a CDN3 if it was converted?

Thanks
Wes K

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
bamaj

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK here are a answer to some of the questions more to come later.#12 md104015 #13 806279-w-12 DAR #19 yes #20 early #21no #23 voltmeter color ranges# 24 missing Hupp 356 #32 no #33latch #40 wide has supports from motor mounts to rad supports and also holes for upper bar but the bars are not there.Late
bamaj

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh I also got a Chattanooga jerry can dated 20 52 41 Icc5
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The purpose of my developing the word document survey forms was so they could be completed by each owner and then returned by email to me so I can audit them once and add the data to our data bases. It would make my days on the computer shorter if you would be so kind as to complete the entire survey then email all your answers on that survey to me at one time. Wink

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
bamaj

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand I was just wanting to get an idea of what I have.I'm working 12 to 14 hours a day and I Dont have very much time to work on my jeep right now and will probably store it until spring to start working on it. Thanks Jeff
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only items you listed that help with dating are the grill not hinged and the strap style battery cover. They only mean the jeep's tub & grill were built sometime between mid 1953 and 1968. Any tub and frame can be interchanged over the years. Engine data does nothing to help narrow down the entire jeep's DOM.

bamaj

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wes what options do I have when I get to the point that I want to put data plates back on my Jeep assuming I can up with enough information to get a idea of a DOM?
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends on what is on your current title and what your DMV is willing to do.

Did you get a title with the jeep? What is on it for date of manufacture and serial number?

bamaj

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the state of Alabama any car before 1974 is only required to have a bill of sale.So all I have is a bill of sales hand written that says 1953 Willy's Jeep as far as the state is concerned on something that old I could put whatever serial number on it I want. That being said I want to do what is right and try my best to get as close as I can to the correct number.
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no serial number on your bill of sale? Or did the seller leave a blank space for a serial number? I do not know of any state's DMV that would accept a bill of sale that does not have a serial number on it.

This is right off the Alabama DMV web site:

Quote:
The Basics
When you buy or sell a motor vehicle, you'll need a bill of sale. This serves as a legal receipt from the buyer to the seller documenting both the change in ownership and the purchase price. The state of Alabama has specific requirements about what a bill of sale must contain.

Invoices are not acceptable as a bill of sale. The bill of sale must be a separate document used to transfer the title of the vehicle.

The Particulars
The following information must appear on the bill of sale:

Name of purchaser.
Complete address of purchaser. Must be street address; a P.O. box is not acceptable.
Date of sale.
Complete vehicle description, including vehicle identification number (VIN), make, model, year, series number, and body type.
Lienholder created at time of resale.
Date of lien, if applicable.
Name of seller; if dealer, then seller must be the licensed name.
Complete address of seller; P.O. box is not acceptable.
If seller is a dealer, then dealer's state and county business license number must be on the document.
If seller is a dealer, the following statement must be stamped or imprinted on the document: "Penalty of $1.50 due if not transferred within 10 days."
Vehicle odometer reading at time of sale.
Signature of seller or authorized representative.
Notary public seal identifying the seller and his signature.
You'll usually be provided an appropriate bill of sale if you buy from a dealer. Be sure that you get a bill of sale when you buy a car; you'll need it before you can title and register the vehicle in your own name.

If it is your intention to devise your own serial number by narrowing down the date of manufacture and using a randomly selected number from a M38A1 data base I would suggest using a national company or agency to run the serial and make sure it is not already in use. I have seen in person what happens with a title application containing a serial number that is already in use.

Some states outlaw the sale of serial plates and titles without the vehicle but that is usually the best way to secure an unused serial number. In the case of 1950 to 68 Willys/Kaiser jeeps you should make sure that both the dash serial plate and the patent plate come with the sale.

The other choice is to use the engine serial number as was often done years ago in many states.

bamaj

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well again I would not do anything that wasn't legal
But as for a bill of sale in the state of Al I have gone to the court house and gotten a tag for a car with just a piece of notebook paper not any formal document no notary stamp or amything .your correct there is not a serial number on the bil of sale and the DMV wouldn't issue a tag without one. When I bought the Jeep I assumed the m38a1 to be like the Mb's or Gpw in that it would have the number in another location I was wrong. Worst case I guess is I hunt around and find another parts jeep and make one from two.
bamaj

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got to look at the frame and it is the one with the holes in it for the folding grill. Also I was going to ask should the wire going to the distributor have a plug at the harness or is it hard wired into the harness. Is there anywhere to get a good look at a jeep body that tells what all of the holes are for and which ones are mods from a previous owner. Thanks Jeff
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The distributor has a short pigtail with a Douglas metal connector on it. The wire coming from the master switch also came with a Douglas connector on it.

I have most of the hole ID photos up for the M38. The M38A1 hasn't been tackled yet.

The best thing to do is post or link quality closeup photos of the areas on your jeep that you have hole questions about and number or letter each hole in that photo so the members can help you out.

bamaj

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any idea what this is?s.
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Antenna mount although it is not any of the standard military units. I have had several jeeps with that type mount carrying a civilian CB radio antenna.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Jeep Project Threads All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: