Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

1950 M38 no reading on the dash amp meter
Transfer Case rebuild issues
Zerks causing trouble.
1952 M38 converting to 12V
M38A1 Slave Bucket location
M274 A3 Mule For Sale
flywheel advice
conversion from a 12 volt system back to a 24 volt system
M151 A2 + M416 Trailer For Sale
M38 ignition points condensor

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - Your First Vehicle
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Your First Vehicle
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Announcements, News, Humor
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ryan_Miller
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 11:34 am    Post subject: Your First Vehicle Reply with quote

What was your first vehicle and do you still have it?

Mine was a 1962 Chevrolet pickup that was our grandfather's old farm truck. My brother and I fixed it up and shared it through high school.

Yes, we still have it! Wink

Last edited by Ryan_Miller on Fri Apr 22, 2005 2:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Warhawk

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine was a 1973 Chevy Nova and it's long gone down the road. I can still remember the licence number that was on the plates. I can't tell you what the plates are on my A1 and I've had that for twelve or thirteen years now. I only had the Nova for three. Shock
rb

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 1st vehicle was a 1973 cj-5. I purchased from my brother after it had been wrecked and I repaired. I sold it 4 years later and bought a 1980 cj-7ythat I kept for 7 years, now 25 years later I am trying to put a 52 M38 together that I hope to keep for good.
GIJOE290

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first auto I paid for out of my own pocket was a 1957 GMC 1/2 ton Step-side bed Truck, with wrap-a-around rear window. $400.00 bucks in 1977. What a mess! 1960 Chevy 283, 1968 Pontiac 3-speed Transmission, 1959 3/4ton Rear end in it! Laughing Laughing Sold it in 1982 $600.00 I was teenager and it was fun. Very Happy

Oh yeah, the gas gauge was a boom handle or by smell.. Cool Laughing Laughing
Serial #56535
"The Green Goat"

Restoration Begins Summer 2005! ...Er Maybe 2006? 2010? 2015? 202...?

Last edited by GIJOE290 on Mon Jun 06, 2005 6:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Joe20

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine was a 62 Nova that I nick named "the beast". Puke green, 6cyl., Power "slide" transmission. Ugly car, but I thought it was something. It's long gone.
Niclas

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine first car:

Dodge Dart 270 4d -1966
V8 -360 (not orginal)

I still have and will never sell it, im almost "made" in that car Shocked
Got it from my father when I turned 18

/Niclas
1958_M274

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first vehicle was a M274 Mechanical Mule I bought when I was 15. I got a nicer one a few months later and sold the first. My first road legal vehicle was a 1962 AMC M422A1 Mighty Mite I bought when I was 16. Still have it as you can see in my signature!

My Dad's first vehicle was a 1942 Ford GPW that he restored and drove to high school in the mid 1960's! I guess it is genetic!

1958 Willys M274 Mechanical Mule
1962 AMC M422A1 Mighty Mite
1942 Dodge WC-51 Cargo Truck
1971 CONDEC M561 Gama Goat
Bob_C
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first is my M38A1 that I'm restoring. Got it from my dads friend in Norfolk, VA. My dad and his friend used to drive the blasted thing around all over gods creation when they were my age. They were going to restore it, since it was ugly blue, but never got around to it -- so it sat in a garage for 25 years -- and I just got it at the beginning of November, last year. I hope to have it done this summer. I'm way off schedule since school and other crap got in my way.
MajBen
Major, USMC, Retired

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, mine was a 1927 Model T Ford. I gave 18 bucks, 2 boxes of 22 rifle shells, and 2 billy goats for it (goats were gifts from a neighbor to help me with the deal---I believe the year was 1942 or 43). The man who sold it to me was a friend and told me straight up that he had dropped the nut off the low band into the bottom of the trans. So what I reckoned, I just replaced it and drove it around my small home town for several months. (No license drivers or car, no insurance, little gas as it was rationed, just fun buzzing around town) Anyone with any experience with these jewels knows that if one pushes both ears straight up, and and you had each of the 4 coils buzzing just right, these Ts would just purr as one idled around.

So, much for the fun. One beautiful fall afternoon, a car load of my friends and I decied to motor out and visit my uncle and cousin shucking corn in a field close to town. Of course the field was rough and we didn't give any notion to that nut in the bottom of the trans so we hit the field at top speed. We didn't go far until that loose nut bounced up and ripped out every mag on the flywheel.

What a sad ending. We couldn't find a replacement, and couldn't have paid for it if we had, so my neighbor and I came up with the idea to take the critter apart, remove all the mags and put her back together again and run her with an old 6 volt battery. It worked, except for one thing. Without the weight of the mags on the flywheel, she didn'td have enough power to crawl up a small incline. I later sold the T to someone in the next town over who came up with a new flywheel with mags. The last time I saw her, while I was on leave from boot camp, she was purring like a Tom cat over a bowl of thick Jersey cream. My, the memories.

Semper Fi Ben
Cacti_Ken

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I guess my first vehicle which was bought for me by my Dad at $100.00 was a 1953 Chevy. That was in 1963 my senior year. $100.00 was a lot of money to us. I always helped my Dad with mechanic work on cars people would bring him to repair.
The first auto I bought myself in 1965 was a 1964 Pontiac Lemans. 3 speed on the column, 4bl carb, 326cu in. It would smoke the tires for sure.
BobW

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first vehicle that I paid for was a 1977 CJ-5. I don't have it any more but I do have my second vehicle, a 1962 Willys pickup. I purchased the pickup in Alaska while I was stationed there in the Air Force. When I left Alaska I drove the pickup to NY.
Willys-51

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first vehicle in 1972, was a 1960 Chevy station wagon, $200. It must have had well over 100,000 miles on it. The unique thing about it was the rear seating area had real floor "boards." The original floors had rusted out so one of the previous owners put boards in there to keep passengers from pulling a Fred Flintstone (you know feet to the pavement). I kept a case of oil in the back and would pull up to the gas station and tell the attendant (that's back when they had attendant's) to check the gas and fill the oil.

My second was a 1965 Dodge Dart, V-6.
JohnnyO

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This isn't my first vehicle, its my uncle's. He bought a '46 2A new from a dealer in KC. He had a farm and used the jeep for everthing, he said the Willys was more reliable then his dads John Deere. He told me that when he would come to visit my aunt (then his girlfriend) before he could walk around the house to the backdoor, my dad and his two brothers would have started it and taken off to who knows where. My uncle said that he just started leaving the key in it, because if he didn't they would just push start it on the hill in front of the house. Behind my uncle's farm was a fairly big stream with very inclined banks. After "barrowing" the jeep, my dad would back it into the stream and wash it off. My dad always said that there were times that he didn't think they were going to get the jeep back out but it always made it. My uncle said that he knew the odometer had roled at least twice, before it finally broke down in the middle of a field. It sat there for at least 10 years, until they were about to sell the farm and a passer by bought it for $75. Sometimes I wonder where the jeep is now. Hopefully whoever bought it, got it running again and had as much fun as my uncle (and father did).

G. Co., 137th Inf. Reg., 35th Inf. Div. (WWII Reenacted)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
MajBen
Major, USMC, Retired

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Johnny, interesting story. Would like to chat with you re: USMC 53 for sale. Semper Fi, ben001@charter.net
cinnabarsam

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2005 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first car was a 1955 IH pickup.
It's the second that is more interesting. It was the fall of 1971. I had just
won Richard Nixon's draft lottery (May 21 =#12) and was at loose ends waiting to get called up. Dad had a friend that wanted to sell a jeep so I
went to look at it. It was a 1952 M38. Still had the original paint, tires,
seat covers, 24 volt system, 2 dead batteries and a very tired MC engine.
We jumped it with his other M38 and started it. It was sitting in very tall dry cheat grass which caught on fire during the jump start. We almost burned it up but got the grass fire out before the jeep was hurt. I offered him $400. He pretended not to hear me and asked if $300 was too much.
I didn't have any money on me but he loaned me a tow bar that fit the
front shackles and let me take it anyway. The next day I took back the tow bar and his $300. I charged the batteries and drove it a little but when it idled the oil pressure would get so low that it would knock.
I rebuilt the motor and had the best jeep ever. Then I had to go to into the army and my 15 year old brother got to drive it for the next few years instead of me. Life is unfair. Anyway 34 years later it is sitting out in my garage and
I'm going to go out right now and take it for a drive. Sam
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Announcements, News, Humor All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: