Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

WTB M38 distributor breaker plate tabs
Hodakaguy M38 Misc Thread
1950 M38 no reading on the dash amp meter
Transfer Case rebuild issues
Zerks causing trouble.
1952 M38 converting to 12V
M38A1 Slave Bucket location
M274 A3 Mule For Sale
flywheel advice
conversion from a 12 volt system back to a 24 volt system

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - How sharp were the stencils
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How sharp were the stencils

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Deadguy

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 1:43 am    Post subject: How sharp were the stencils Reply with quote

that were applied to the original military jeeps? They're a bit tricky to work with, as far as the lettering coming out perfect. Even being slow and meticulous, I have a bit of sharpening up to do. i can't imagine that the GIs in the field were nearly as patient.
Marine core reinforced rear bumper, military transistorized turn signal upgrade, arctic heater, 11" drum brakes, 200L PTO winch, Huffy overdrive, deep water fording kit, RT 68 vehicle mounted radio, Trac Locs front and rear.
www.danhenk.com
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do a little of your own research . Here's a good place to start:
http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Historic-Vintage-Photos&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
Deadguy

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They look pretty sharp, but the photographs are pretty small. . i did a Google image search for a good half hour before I posted, and all I saw wee very clean restored collector M38A1s.
Did the Marine corps have the under the hood warning stencil, or the dash max speed stencil?
Marine core reinforced rear bumper, military transistorized turn signal upgrade, arctic heater, 11" drum brakes, 200L PTO winch, Huffy overdrive, deep water fording kit, RT 68 vehicle mounted radio, Trac Locs front and rear.
www.danhenk.com
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Marines rarely put anything on the jeep other than the hood number. The only time a unit emblem was used was when more than one Marine division was in the same theater at the same time.

Folks tend to over state the sloppyness of Military labor and painting. Most grunts did the best they could do with what they had. The stencils I saw personnally from 1966 thru 1989 were very well done, sharp and nice edges. Having used those stencils myself in the military on aircraft they came out looking very sharp and well edged.

Research the earlier editions of the MVPA magazines and the Military Vehicle Magazine and you will find a well done article on the US Marine Corps vehicle markings.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
Texbillhs

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The army stenciling from my time in Vietnam weren't anything to write home about, they were just stencils like you'd use on shipping crates - today's stenciling for restored vehicle are likely better then most motor pool work you would have seen. I used really nice stick-on/peel-off ones which gave a nice finished look, but I warn you, have 2 or 3 sets of hands to get them on - once stuck they are on - you can't move them. Take your time and make sure you mask EVERYTHING you don't want white paint on - it will find a way to get in any little crack. Also on my son-in-law's MB we had to do an emergency engine removal and reinstall just before a show - we thought we got the greasy finger prints cleaned on the bumper - not so, in places the cured white paint came off when we peeled the stencil off. Even the best job you might need to touch up with a art brush and a steady hand. Another thing - if I do it again I think I'll use a small foam roller rather then spray.

Photo Gallery Page 10 Texbillhs
capescw

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 6:27 pm    Post subject: Proper technique Reply with quote

Although it was not my primary job, proper stenciling was considered necessary, as the weapons left with fresh numbers. Use of a stenciling BRUSH is the best technique!

MANY articles on Google, just enter 'stencil brush technique', and you will be quite pleased with the results. Primary rule is 'just a little paint, many times over'!
1956-60 USAF Special Weapons Program
http://www.bill-capes.com/insanity - Updated 04/26/14
ecurb_1160

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would just like to say when I repainted my jeep I ask as many x military guys as I could as to how stencils were applied, all of them pretty much gave the same answer, they cut out stencils by hand from what ever material was available to them at the time. Any over spray , if they even had air spray equipment, was touched up by hand with a brush. They all told me the stars were to always be as close to perfect as possible, as this was the U.S. symbol. The numbers on my jeep are not real numbers as they are my Dad's military ID, his first unit and his rank at retire, but that's what I wanted. I have been to many car shows and have been told by many that even thou looking close, you can see brush marks around my letters , numbers , & stars this was how they really looked. So as I see it, its all in what you want, I drive my jeep in memory & honor, of my dad and for all military personal , past & present . Right or wrong it is mine and I'm happy with it. So I would say make it the way you want it. Just my 2 cents worth!!!!! Bruce
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: