Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

M38 Radio Power Cable/Connector
Wanted to buy - C-375/VRC
Battery cut off in motor compartment?
Cross Member Radiator Tabs
WTB M38 distributor breaker plate tabs
Hodakaguy M38 Misc Thread
1950 M38 no reading on the dash amp meter
Transfer Case rebuild issues
Zerks causing trouble.
1952 M38 converting to 12V

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - 1952 M38 project
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

1952 M38 project

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Jeep Project Threads
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ryan0186

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 5:29 pm    Post subject: 1952 M38 project Reply with quote

My grandfather has a 1952 M38 Willy's Jeep that he purchase back in the late 50's He used this same style of Jeep during his time in the Korean war and fell in love with them. The Jeep was used for about 25 years after he purchased it and then garaged from 1980 on. It has not been started since 1980 and has been dormant in his garage buried under years of clutter. He decided today that he wanted to uncover it and see if we could get it running again. I am very interested in this project and was wondering if I could get some advice on the first things that need to be done to get the Jeep rolling again. I know that any vehicle that sits for this long is going to need some serious work. We are not looking to do a full restoration at this time but just want to get it running enough to drive it around the block. Once we know that the engine is in a decent running condition we will discuss doing more work and a possible restoration. I figured the first step would be to get a couple of new batteries, a carb rebuild kit, Change fluids, new spark plugs and dump a little oil down in each cylinder and get it lubed up again, as well as check out the brakes. Anything else that we need to look at? I tried to turn the engine over by hand and it would not budge. Also I pulled one of the spark plugs and noticed something that looked a little weird to me. I noticed that the spark plugs dont have any threads on them and seemed to just be pressed down into the head. I have been working on cars for years and have never seen anything like this. Wouldn't the pressure in the engine push the plugs out if not threaded? Thanks for all the advice!I will try to upload some pics of the Jeep soon.
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The plugs were threaded originally. If there are no threads now that is a bad sign for the head.

If it won't turn with a large socket and breaker bar on the crankshaft nut then pull the side cover and manually lever each valve to make sure none of them are frozen in their guides. Fill the bores with diesel and let them soak a few days. Then after checking the valves use that big breaker bar and socket and start rocking the crank back and forth a little at a time.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
Ryan0186

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will try to take a close up pic of the spark plugs and the head next time I am over there.
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
Ryan0186

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I have confirmed that the plug broke off in the head. I am going to soak them all in PB blaster for the next three days and then take an easy out to the one that broke off and hope that the rest come out without a hitch. Also Anyone know where I can find a diagram for the fuel line and pump set up on a 52 M38?
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just peruse my photo album. Over a few hundred technical photos should have what you are looking for.

http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php

Ryan0186

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So just to update everyone on the Jeep, Today we bought an easy out and managed to get all the plugs out. Three of the four broke off in the head and after a good soak in PB blaster the bolt extractor worked its magic and removed the remaining broken pieces. Order a new set of plugs for the M38 that will come in tomorrow and put two new batteries in it. We also got the engine to loosen put by pouring a little oil down in each cylinder and then towed it in gear around the block. Worked great to get everything moving again. Can't seem to get the starter to do anything even though we are getting 24V to it. I don't know if it is a problem with the starter switch or maybe the starter itself is seized. We are planning next weekend to install the new plugs, pour a little gas in the carb and try to push start it and see if we can get it to fire up.
Ryan_Miller
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you pull the carb and clean it/ put new gaskets in it?

Keeping my fingers crossed and let us know.

We like photos too!

Cool
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Can't seem to get the starter to do anything even though we are getting 24V to it.

Usually the mechanical kick type switch on top of the starter. Are you trying to engage it correctly? It has a kick pedal on the lower center area of the firewall. You must depress the small pedal when you want to start the jeep.

If you are using the kick pedal then the problem is usually the internal contacts on that switch.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Jeep Project Threads All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: