Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

M38 Radio Power Cable/Connector
Wanted to buy - C-375/VRC
Battery cut off in motor compartment?
Cross Member Radiator Tabs
WTB M38 distributor breaker plate tabs
Hodakaguy M38 Misc Thread
1950 M38 no reading on the dash amp meter
Transfer Case rebuild issues
Zerks causing trouble.
1952 M38 converting to 12V

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - Question about Solex carbs
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Question about Solex carbs

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RommelJuan

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 3:46 am    Post subject: Question about Solex carbs Reply with quote

has anyone tried using Solex carburetors for your M38?

All for one at MDJuan!

https://www.facebook.com/MDJuanjeeps
Xamon

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some have used them, but since most of us are restoring we want the correct carter YS carb.
That said are you casting those solex new?
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Solex's that have been used here the last few years are new production from India. I doubt that MD Juan has purchased production rights from the Indian company.

Rommel,
If you will search the archives here and on the G503 you will see several hundred posts on both the good and the bad with the Solex carbs.

A proper chemical dipping and flushing then rebuild of an original Carter carb will provide the restorer with a carb that is readily superior to the Solex. Those who try to rebuild the Carter in their homes without the proper cleaning media and flushing and using old NOS rubber parts often get discouraged and think any new item will be better.

Yes the Solex will run ok if installed and adjusted properly. It is not better than the Carter. It is also not a good off road tilt the jeep and go carb. Yes it is cheap and yes it was originally produced in Europe but at the present is produced in India. Yes they are cheap until you pay for the pressure regulator and on the L134 they can perculate in the summer without the original thick insulating base gasket.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php

Last edited by wesk on Sun Oct 20, 2013 6:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
skyjeep50

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Solex in my M38 - runs very well, a fairly E-Z installation. I do have a basket case Carter on the self that will be rebuilt some time in the future, perhaps this winter. Three issues that I came across with my Solex were: 1) the Solex base casting is thicker than the Carter meaning I couldn't use a very thick gasket underneath, you could install longer studs to compensate. 2) need to use a right angle carb air horn from a CJ on top but it fits the carb and correct cross over hose well. 3) need to use a pressure reducer on the fuel line to prevent flooding of the carb - picked one up at a local auto parts store. Throttle linkage, choke and hand throttle hook-ups were straight forward - no mods needed. Carb has worked well with no adjustments since day 1 other than a slight idle speed adjustment. Others may have had different experiences but its worked for me so far.

Texbillhs

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I put one on my M38 - runs great after I solved the fuel pressure problem. I use an electric pump which maintains a constant pressure lower then the stock mechanical pump would have if it was working. The only issue is the choke takes getting use to - it isn't a choke in the normal sense it is more like some of the little outboard boat motors, a gadget that makes the mixture richer. I pump the foot throttle a few times, put out the "choke" - it starts and as it warms up push the choke in 1/2 way - when it is up to operating temp then push the choke all the way in. These Solex carbs (French I think) aren't fussy - my son-in-law has one on his L134 and the choke isn't even hooked up and it still starts. It just runs a little nicer done by the book. One thing you can't beat the price - I got mine from WC Whitney - got an electronic distributor too.
tob

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:56 am    Post subject: solex carbs Reply with quote

what are these carbs off of? are they in junk yards and on what?
Texbillhs

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

no - they are brand new carbs. A lot of the jeep parts suppliers sell them and, as I said, JC Whitney has them - about $125. They come pre-adjusted, but in my case I live close to Last Chance Garage, Unionville, PA - Lou Mandich's place. I had Jimmy the carb guy and likely the best in the country on carburetor setups, do his magic. Jimmy set it so it purrs.

If you are near southeast Pa - Last Chance Garage is 610-347-2394
Texbillhs

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The story I heard was Hotchkiss, a French jeep re-builder used them on military re-builds
skyjeep50

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Solex is/was a major manufacturer of carbs for many autos and other applications, mainly European makes including Volkswagen. I read somewhere that U.S. military jeeps after WWII rebuilt in Europe were equipped with Solex carbs. The carb pictured above is basically a replacement for the Carter W-O used on early Willys CJ's and does fit the M38. Still being made. Mine came NIB from e-bay for about $60 which was less than half new price from a regular retail source. Couldn't resist at that price and so far its been trouble free.
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With one of those great reknown carb guys you can take your Carter and the $55 OH kit to him and end up with a jeep that runs better, uses the original thick base gasket on the L134, requires no pressure regulator, requires no additional 90 Deg air horn, and requires no bending of tubing and re-routing of controls. They do not come pre-adjusted. They are adjusted to the base line figures which are sea level on a standard 60 degree day. If you live on the central eastern or northern California coast this will usually work fine for you.

The Indian company that owns the production rights to the carb has several distributors here in the US.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
RommelJuan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Wes,

what is the Indian company? and who are their stateside distributors?

wesk wrote:
With one of those great reknown carb guys you can take your Carter and the $55 OH kit to him and end up with a jeep that runs better, uses the original thick base gasket on the L134, requires no pressure regulator, requires no additional 90 Deg air horn, and requires no bending of tubing and re-routing of controls. They do not come pre-adjusted. They are adjusted to the base line figures which are sea level on a standard 60 degree day. If you live on the central eastern or northern California coast this will usually work fine for you.

The Indian company that owns the production rights to the carb has several distributors here in the US.

All for one at MDJuan!

https://www.facebook.com/MDJuanjeeps
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should correct that. The Indian company that produces the Solex under license as did Mikuni in Japan. The French company seems to stay with only the smaller motorcycle carbs now.

From the Wiki:
Solex carburetors were until the mid-1980s used on many European cars including Volkswagen, Alfa Romeo, Fiat, Audi, Ford, BMW, Citroen, Opel, Simca, Saab, Renault, Peugeot, Lancia, Lada, Mercedes Benz, Volvo and Porsche. Solex carburetors have been made under licence by a number companies including the Mikuni company of Japan who supplied them to auto makers including Toyota, Mitsubishi and Suzuki as well as to various Japanese motorcycle makers. Mikuni originally entered into a licensed manufacturing agreement with Solex in 1960 and further developed many of Solex's original designs.
The Solex brand is now owned by Magneti Marelli. The original Solex company changed its name in 1994 to Magneti Marelli France and on May 31, 2001, Magneti Marelli France partially bought its assets (including the trademark SOLEX) from Magneti Marelli Motopropulsion France S.A.S.

The Indian company that builds them is:
http://www.indiainfoline.com/Markets/Company/Background/Location/Pentafour-Products-Ltd/500328

This 32 (L134 eng's) and 34 (F134 eng's) series Solex is covered in detail on the CJ3B page and the 34 series was used on most of the India based Mahindra jeep production in their gas engines.

http://www.film.queensu.ca/cj3b/Tech/SolexTips.html

moneypit

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wes, I agree with you about fixing the carb....but there is ONE issue it seems, that everyone side steps....WHAT do you SOAK IT IN ???? last carb cleaner I got didn't even take the grease off !!
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You take the carb to your engine rebuilding shop and have them clean it.

The problem today is Uncle wants to take good care of us and the EPA has taken all commercial quality soak type cleaners away from private use.

I don't see this cleaning problem as a Carter YS problem. I see it as a problem cleaning any carb, including 5 or 6 year old Solex. Do you buy a new engine because there aren't any commercial grade cleaners available to use in the private sector? Wink

An often overlooked cleaning process is Ultrasonic cleaners but they can be expensive.

RICKG

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a well tooled small engine shop here that does ultrasonic
carb cleaning as they do dozens of chain saw, mower, and etc
carbs a month. An option to consider.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: